Speedometer not reading - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Speedometer not reading

Hey guys,

I just got my 98 GT back from having the spark plug hole Time Serted because I blew a plug.

Upon first drive, I noticed the speedometer not working. It just bounces between 0 and 10 MPH. It is throwing the code P0500. Also important to note that I have the Ford Racing speedo recalibration tool installed, and I opened it up and it has a red LED lit up as well as a green one. If I remember correctly, it only had a green LED lit up at first.

Also, the car is running a little rough, it is making power and everything but it doesnt sound as clear as it usually does and it seems to be vibrating a bit. The car did sit for almost 3 months with less than a quarter tank of gas so I am hoping it is just bad fuel. I threw some SeaFoam in the tank and then I filled her up with good gas.

Thanks,
DMD

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
P0500 is the code for VSS (which I just googled in 2 seconds) so its either your sender on the tailshaft, your speedcal is fubar'd or you have a bad wire somewhere.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
P0500 is the code for VSS (which I just googled in 2 seconds) so its either your sender on the tailshaft, your speedcal is fubar'd or you have a bad wire somewhere.
+1
Drivers side rear of the transmission. Single electrical plug and a single bolt holding it in. Give her a tug, examine the gear.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Okay so obviously I googled the code and the issue but I was more asking about the speedcal. I didn't want to go buy a VSS if it didn't need to be replaced.

Having said that, it ended up being the VSS that was bad. The gear was fine and it looked fine but it was bad. Go figure.

Now I just need to figure out why she's mid firing slightly

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

I figured you googled it but didn't include it in the post so I did to cover all bases. If I sounded like an *** I did not mean to. For the mis-fire. Check for any other codes, if not when was the last time you did the plugs/wires? How many miles on the injectors? Probably not the coil packs, those last practically forever but can't always rule them out.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I figured you googled it but didn't include it in the post so I did to cover all bases. If I sounded like an *** I did not mean to. For the mis-fire. Check for any other codes, if not when was the last time you did the plugs/wires? How many miles on the injectors? Probably not the coil packs, those last practically forever but can't always rule them out.
No worries man, I wasn't really sure how you meant it but it doesn't matter.

It was giving me P1000 but that has nothing to do with the misfire. The problem is that the misfire is really, really slight. Like at idle it almost sounds like there's no mis, it's just as high Rpm I can definitely hear it.

The injectors are stock off the 01 engine I swapped in and have less than 50k on them. The plugs are brand new. I'm thinking it is the COP on the cylinder that blew a plug. The rubber boot was shredded but I hoped the coil was fine. I'll update this post when I figure out what it is

Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ah, you have a COP swap on the 98? I'd say swap the COPS but if you aren't getting a code you won't know if the misfire moved... Any buddies with a 99-up 2V that you can swap a known good COP in for 10 minutes and see if that's it?

The PO of my car left the coil pack ignition in place vs going to COPS and I am SO glad he did.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ah, you have a COP swap on the 98? I'd say swap the COPS but if you aren't getting a code you won't know if the misfire moved... Any buddies with a 99-up 2V that you can swap a known good COP in for 10 minutes and see if that's it?

The PO of my car left the coil pack ignition in place vs going to COPS and I am SO glad he did.
Yeah I have COPS on mine, converted it when I put the '01 engine in. I could have opted to stay with the coil packs, but it would have required the removal of the front cover and drilling/tapping bracket mounts. I didn't really want to crack open a 40k mile engine, and I like how it looks cleaner.

The COP conversion was pretty straight forward, just had to make a new wiring harness connecting all the COPs in firing order. Now im kind of kicking myself for it because of how expensive COPs are.

I ordered a Motorcraft OEM COP off amazon for pretty cheap so Im not too worried about it, Im just hoping that is what fixes the issue. Car ran perfectly before, so im really hoping i can get it there again.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also converting to COPs in a 98 or below makes them burn out faster since each cop thinks you are running double the RPM you actually are. Unless you swap to an ENTIRE 99-up harness/computer its not going to be 100% correct.

Honestly you can mount the coil packs anywhere, does not have to be on the front of the motor. Hell I'm going to relocate mine to behind the intake to run a TT kit. Coil packs are better anyway.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah its still running the wasted spark system with the COPs, but regardless it still runs fine with the simple COPS converstion.

I just liked the cleaner look of the COPS but I will say, having plug wires also makes doing maintenance a lot easier. You dont have to sit there and unscrew stuff to get to the plugs.

And an update on the car, I think it is a clogged injector that is making it miss fire at high RPMs. I drove it pretty hard again last night and it is running better (I can tell by the exhaust note). It still is slightly missing but it is a lot better. I am going to run an injector cleaner through them and see if that helps. I am still replacing the COP to be safe however.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

You would not believe the shape my injectors were in on the 95 when I removed them in 2007. Swapped them out with fresh 24s and WOW. Probably would have picked up some power with a simple re-tune and no more raw gas smell.

I actually do not know what the shape of the orange 19s I have in the 98 is but I am going to swap them out with fresh pink top 21s and then learn this goddam Moates QH if it kills me...

Old 12-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You would not believe the shape my injectors were in on the 95 when I removed them in 2007. Swapped them out with fresh 24s and WOW. Probably would have picked up some power with a simple re-tune and no more raw gas smell.

I actually do not know what the shape of the orange 19s I have in the 98 is but I am going to swap them out with fresh pink top 21s and then learn this goddam Moates QH if it kills me...

I believe it, it seems like I'm always having trouble with injectors on my car. I think it's probably the crappy gas they sell nowadays. I left my car sitting there for 2-3 months and the injectors were clogged up when I started it up again. I'm hoping to gain some power with my 24s as well haha and gas mileage maybe too.

Is Moates QH a tuning software? I'm looking for a tuning software right now so I can start writing my own tunes. Otherwise I need to get a duno tune or somethinf

Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Moates QH is the hardware, I need to buy the software you use with it still lol. You self tune or if you know someone who can burn "mail order" tunes. I got mine for $125 shipped used but if you are buying new and aren't going to learn to tune it yourself the bama tuner with unlimited tunes for life might be a better option.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT