Noise (I need more) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
Noise (I need more)

Any suggestions on how to make my car idle louder?? I have a 02 gt and I have magnaflow exhaust
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
PonyBoyV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago Area
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,079
Remove the cats and you'll be happy with the sound.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJB22 View Post
Any suggestions on how to make my car idle louder?? I have a 02 gt and I have magnaflow exhaust
Long tubes

Off road mid pipe

SLP loudmouths

Bigger tips

Cams
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
I've thought about that. I want to but it's illegal

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

I think I'll go with the long tubes and cams. Can you go bigger than 4 inch tips?? Cause that's what I have now
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
PonyBoyV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago Area
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,079
It's only illegal if ya get caught, bud. Most guys on this site have off road Set ups. There are ways to cheat the emissions tests, if that's what you're worried about.

If you go longtubes, you'll need to swap out your midpipe for a shorty midpipe with cats on it. And you'll probably get nowhere near the horsepower gain with the cats, just sayin'.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
So how do I past the test cause that's what I'm worried about? Cops already on my *** cause I have blue lights where my plate is. They are ******** for real where I am
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
I have the loudest mustang in my area and cops never pull me over
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
Where do you live?? I want the loudest
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
PonyBoyV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago Area
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJB22 View Post
So how do I past the test cause that's what I'm worried about? Cops already on my *** cause I have blue lights where my plate is. They are ******** for real where I am
Well you can get MIL eliminators. Or you can make something yourself, along those lines. Theres a write up somewhere on here to someone that knows how to make them out of a spark plug or something. The MIL eliminators let the computer think your rear cats are reading fine. This is only if you get the plug in test. If you get a sniff test, it will fail.

Also, the cops can see that your blue lights are illegal, that's why they bug you about it. They can't see the pipes under your car.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Well you can get MIL eliminators. Or you can make something yourself, along those lines. Theres a write up somewhere on here to someone that knows how to make them out of a spark plug or something. The MIL eliminators let the computer think your rear cats are reading fine. This is only if you get the plug in test. If you get a sniff test, it will fail. Also, the cops can see that your blue lights are illegal, that's why they bug you about it. They can't see the pipes under your car.
that's true and I got technical with them last time and they got mad at me about my lights but I'll look into it because my original plan was to take my cats off
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJB22 View Post
that's true and I got technical with them last time and they got mad at me about my lights but I'll look into it because my original plan was to take my cats off
Yeah because lights like those are illegal lol

And obviously noticeable
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Yeah because lights like those are illegal lol And obviously noticeable

Yes very noticeable. Kmsl
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Big tips will not make your car "idle louder". Full exhaust with a resonator type muffler (SLP) and no cats will be the noisiest. And you still won't be the loudest thing out there, not with a stock 2V.

I love really loud stockish mustangs though, I can hear where they are instead of having to look in my rearview :p
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Big tips will not make your car "idle louder". Full exhaust with a resonator type muffler (SLP) and no cats will be the noisiest. And you still won't be the loudest thing out there, not with a stock 2V. I love really loud stockish mustangs though, I can hear where they are instead of having to look in my rearview :p

I love the way my car sounds it just doesn't idle loud enough for me.
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Throw an offroad pipe on there and see how you like it. Keep the stock pipe for emissions testing. Lots of ppl do the "mid pipe shuffle" once every year or two years depending on how often you have to get smogged.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Throw an offroad pipe on there and see how you like it. Keep the stock pipe for emissions testing. Lots of ppl do the "mid pipe shuffle" once every year or two years depending on how often you have to get smogged.

I'll give try it out and see. Thanks!
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJB22 View Post
I'll give try it out and see. Thanks!
Post a video of your idle ? Or exhaust
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Post a video of your idle ? Or exhaust

I'll do it when I get by my car
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
JayStang718's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York City
Region: New York
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJB22 View Post
Any suggestions on how to make my car idle louder?? I have a 02 gt and I have magnaflow exhaust
When I 1st got my 04 gt It came with magnaflows also and it was cool but not nearly as loud as I wanted it to be. I ended up putting on the magnaflow off-road tru xpipe and it was a hugee difference lol sets off alarms compliments every where go one of the best mods I've done so far

JayStang718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Trust me being loud is fun for the first couple months , then it just gets annoying ..
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Trust me being loud is fun for the first couple months , then it just gets annoying ..
+193737722, I had the the LM1+o/r x combo, at first it was awesome and fun and just loved it, fast forward a year and I threw back on my stocker and WILL never go back to o/r with these LM1s, way to ridiculous. now I'm just researching on a whole new setup which will probably get done beginning of January.
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
I've had my off-road mid pipe on for about a week now.. No tune or MIL Eliminators and it's not throwing me a code or "check engine light" not sure why though..
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
Video wasn't uploading earlier but here it is http://youtu.be/Z4ZYVvQXe1U
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
Registered User
Newbie
 
KevinJB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mallet/Swords
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Post a video of your idle ? Or exhaust

Here you go. It didn't want to upload earlier http://youtu.be/Z4ZYVvQXe1U
KevinJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
ccabral14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 123
I have a plain magnaflow catback on my car with an off-road h pipe and in my opinion it's way too quiet at idle. I absolutely love the sound but it's very quiet down low. I recently picked up a whole pypes violator catback for $70 so I figured it was worth a shot and if I don't like I'll just sell it again
ccabral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
The whole point of a Magnaflow type muffler is to be mild down low and SCREAM up top. Good for driving around neighborhoods and not pissing everyone off, good for highway cruising and good when you go by a cop not to give him an excuse to be an *** and pull you over.

I totally agree with Slow and V8pony though, I've been there and done that with an obnoxiously loud exhaust. My 95 with the longtubes/OR pipe and Dynomax Ultras was a MUCH better overall sounding vehicle. Also did not make my ears ring after a 20 minute drive...

I will say being older now with a family/kid in a neighborhood... I can't stand when dip****s with ultra loud exhausts roll through especially at all hours of the morning. Like seriously some of us are trying to get infants/toddlers to sleep or wake up to work at 5 AM.

**waves cane around head**
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
comporange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: glen burnie
Region: Maryland
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJB22 View Post
that's true and I got technical with them last time and they got mad at me about my lights but I'll look into it because my original plan was to take my cats off
i have the same tag lights
comporange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Getn off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oviedo
Region: Florida
Posts: 568
Why not have a set of electric cut outs installed. That way u can open them whenever u want loud, then close em up for quiet times and emissions checks. They are legal.
Troy
Btw, confused here... U want to stay legal, but sport obviously illegal lights...
__________________
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #29
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStang718 View Post
When I 1st got my 04 gt It came with magnaflows also and it was cool but not nearly as loud as I wanted it to be. I ended up putting on the magnaflow off-road tru xpipe and it was a hugee difference lol sets off alarms compliments every where go one of the best mods I've done so far


It sounds sick! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The whole point of a Magnaflow type muffler is to be mild down low and SCREAM up top. Good for driving around neighborhoods and not pissing everyone off, good for highway cruising and good when you go by a cop not to give him an excuse to be an *** and pull you over.

I totally agree with Slow and V8pony though, I've been there and done that with an obnoxiously loud exhaust. My 95 with the longtubes/OR pipe and Dynomax Ultras was a MUCH better overall sounding vehicle. Also did not make my ears ring after a 20 minute drive...

I will say being older now with a family/kid in a neighborhood... I can't stand when dip****s with ultra loud exhausts roll through especially at all hours of the morning. Like seriously some of us are trying to get infants/toddlers to sleep or wake up to work at 5 AM.

**waves cane around head**
That is true. I realized that recently, I bought louder ones, and I'm like agh my ears are ringing.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hissing Noise JetLife 01GT 1996-2004 Mustang GT 14 12-03-2013 01:03 PM
Car still makes loud noise when going over bumps Coltonhess 1996-2004 Mustang GT 8 07-23-2013 10:35 PM
High pitched engine noise whine cjd_1986 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 4 01-16-2012 12:34 PM
Clutch noise 02 mustang gt mkw037 1996-2004 Mustang GT 5 09-05-2011 09:14 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:55 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.