Mach 1000 Audio system - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Mach 1000 Audio system

hey guys, I have an '02 with a Mach 1000 Audio system and i want to replace the mach deck with a double din touchscreen. i went to car toys about it and they said i had two options:

1: roughly $160 in adapters to make the system work with the deck, and it would sound slightly worse but "not noticeably"

2: pay $250 and cut the amps out of the equation entirely (all 6 of them) and it would sound clearer.

i dont want to cut out my amps and i dont want to spend $900 after the deck install and parts, so my question is:

is there any other way i can go about doing it? or if i do it myself how much of a hassle is it?
zoneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Just gonna tag into this with my own question, my 01 GT has the mach 460 sound system. Am I gonna have that same hassel if I just want to put in a new headunit so I have an aux connection?
HighlyBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

All I want is an aux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Damn well I plan on doing mine here in the next week or so I'll ask my local audio shop guys before I go and spend money on it.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was probably going to end up buying all the stuff cheaper on amazon or wherever I find it and going from there. Not worth paying store premiums
Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea possibly even ebay I bought most of my radio stuff off there very cheap.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you're an audiophile, then you'll notice a difference in the sound quality. But then again, you'd probably be installing a much better aftermarket system all together.

I used to have the 460 in my car, but decided to go ahead and finally rip it out. Granted I don't have a touch screen headunit, but with some reasonable kicker speakers and a 10" sub, it kicks harder and louder(clearer at higher freq) than the 460 did. I did the work myself (hardest part is routing the new wiring, but a coat hanger can be your friend here) and probably spent 300 bucks when it was all said and done.

In your case, I would probably just spend the money and do it right the first time. The stock speakers are on borrowed time with an aftermarket headunit anyways, although situations may vary. And you can double check and see if they can wire an aux port into the stock unit. Or just get a regular aftermarket headunit from walmart or bestbuy, the adapter harness, and do it yourself. Crutchfield.com has a lot of useful info.

Ps. This thread should probably be moved to the audio section.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Alright so I can't tell which parts of that is directed at my mach 1000 or his mach 460. Could you clear that up for me?

P.s. how do I move it?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh sorry for the confusion. Really what I said applies to both of you. But its just my opinion. I would just hate to see you spend the money to integrate it into your mach sustem, only to have the speakers or amps blow (that's what happened to me). I can almost guarantee if you save up and replace the whole system, you won't regret it.

And don't worry, you can't move it. A moderator would have to. Its not a big deal, I was just saying. Lol

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay thanks I'm definitely going to research a little more before I make any purchases
Old 12-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I'd check out that website (crutchfield.com) first. You can plug in the kind of car you have and it will tell you what you can install. It was very helpful to me when deciding what to buy and install.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Oh wow awesome I'll check it out
Old 12-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If all you want is AUX in, you can just plug one of these in line with the antenna:
Scosche FM-MOD02 Play your iPodŽ, satellite radio, or portable music player through any car's FM radio at Crutchfield.com
It takes the signal from your 3.5mm stereo cable and plays it on one of two FM radio frequencies, and you just tune to that frequency to hear you digital music.
And unlike those car bases for you phone that broadcast the FM signal wirelessly, since this one is actually plugged in to the antenna there are no interference issues.
ltdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoneo View Post
All I want is an aux
If all you want is an aux input, look into PIE adapter. You've really got to do your research though as there are several different models and not all directly work with factory mustang had units.

I bought two current models before I found one that worked with my '04 Mach 460 w/ satellite button. Glad that I did though, cause now I have an aux input I can plug my phone into for music/pandora. Fwiw, the kit I got was direct plug and play, no splicing our anything, just plus into the back of the head unit. Cost was about $60 from Amazon and about 20 min to install.
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post

If all you want is an aux input, look into PIE adapter. You've really got to do your research though as there are several different models and not all directly work with factory mustang had units.

I bought two current models before I found one that worked with my '04 Mach 460 w/ satellite button. Glad that I did though, cause now I have an aux input I can plug my phone into for music/pandora. Fwiw, the kit I got was direct plug and play, no splicing our anything, just plus into the back of the head unit. Cost was about $60 from Amazon and about 20 min to install.
That sounds pretty cool. I've heard of some doing this, so that's why I was thinking this might be an option as well.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Crutch field is the way to go. We replaced the stock mach 1000 head unit in an 04 with a pioneer double DVD, Nav ex text. Super simple and the harness they sold us was plug and play. Great company. Also the fitment was just like stock.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Can't go wrong with Crutchfield. They supply all harnesses/adapters. Plus insteuctions and lifetime tech support. Replaced the HU in my 04 w a JVC double din

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131215_124618.png
Views:	1960
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	141700

As far as different sounds, you will need Bass blockers for the tweeters, they have em, and you will need to fine tune all the audio outputs, bass, treble, etc. All in all the slight difference in sound is worth the new HU.
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpd3014 View Post
Crutch field is the way to go. We replaced the stock mach 1000 head unit in an 04 with a pioneer double DVD, Nav ex text. Super simple and the harness they sold us was plug and play. Great company. Also the fitment was just like stock.
That is exactly what I want. Thank you. Do they have like a guide or people that can help me find exactly what I need?
Old 12-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

If you call thier help line they will take care of you. They've always treated me right.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
If you call thier help line they will take care of you. They've always treated me right.
+1 just call they are extremely helpful
Old 12-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome thank you all so much
Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Sonicelectronix is just as good as crutchfield and it's cheaper
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Oh cool I'll compare both of them and let you guys know what I find
Old 12-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Sonicelectronix is just as good as crutchfield and it's cheaper
Never heard of em, will check em out
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT