Rear axle replacement - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Rear axle replacement

Been awhile since I've been on, Just finished the Fire Academy. But anyways i suspect that I have a bent axle on my passenger side. I hit a curb quite some time ago from being run off the road by a drunk. My rear passenger wheel had a slight wobble to it and I have a squeak from the rear when applying the brakes. I replaced the rear calipers and pads so I know it's down to the axles. So my question is How hard is it to replace axles on a 2003 Mustang Gt? I've pretty much decided on putting in 31 spline axles with a 31 spline limited slip differential. Is this something that can be tackled by someone in their backyard or does it require many specialty tools and expertise????
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Don't do it yourself. Take it to a shop
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Don't do it yourself. Take it to a shop
Alright man thanks, didn't think it was something I could tackle
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227
Been awhile since I've been on, Just finished the Fire Academy. But anyways i suspect that I have a bent axle on my passenger side. I hit a curb quite some time ago from being run off the road by a drunk. My rear passenger wheel had a slight wobble to it and I have a squeak from the rear when applying the brakes. I replaced the rear calipers and pads so I know it's down to the axles. So my question is How hard is it to replace axles on a 2003 Mustang Gt? I've pretty much decided on putting in 31 spline axles with a 31 spline limited slip differential. Is this something that can be tackled by someone in their backyard or does it require many specialty tools and expertise????
The actual parts aren't hard to put in place. The hard part is getting all of the tolerances correct.

If you're going to tear it down go ahead and do bearings.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
The actual parts aren't hard to put in place. The hard part is getting all of the tolerances correct. If you're going to tear it down go ahead and do bearings.
Well I had all the bearing and deals replaced when I had 3.73s put in and then the accident happened later so all the bearing and seals are less then a year old
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
surfinglbi23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Haddonfield
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 108
I've done several axle swaps on jeeps though it's not exactly the same, I've swapped in 8.8 rears and it's very easy. If you are pretty handy I'd take a crack at it. Lots of good write ups online.
surfinglbi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Main issue is setting the backlash on the gears.
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Roguestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Main issue is setting the backlash on the gears.
+1
__________________
2000 Mustang GT-Former giggle gas addict
1990 Mustang GT w/ Vortech V3

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,598
+2 the gears are the only hard part for the average mechanic with a good set of sockets/wrenches. Everything else comes right out and goes right back in pretty much.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
+2 the gears are the only hard part for the average mechanic with a good set of sockets/wrenches. Everything else comes right out and goes right back in pretty much.
Yeah the gears are the only thing making me feel like I should definitely take it to a good mechanic
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
Yeah the gears are the only thing making me feel like I should definitely take it to a good mechanic

I took mine to a " good " mechanic and he couldn't set them right .. Took them atleast 6 times , until they took it to a real shop ,
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
I took mine to a " good " mechanic and he couldn't set them right .. Took them atleast 6 times , until they took it to a real shop ,
Well I know a small shop that's run by a guy who has been working on rear ends for 15+ years, he did my 3.73 swap like a year back and was perfect from day one, so I know he is good from experience.
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post

Well I know a small shop that's run by a guy who has been working on rear ends for 15+ years, he did my 3.73 swap like a year back and was perfect from day one, so I know he is good from experience.
I had a place like that do the gears in my 95 back in the day. Great price, 2 hours while I waited and drove off like it was stock.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Members Mustangs

Mustang

2005GT

DD #2

87LX306
Add your Mustang
» Like Us On Facebook



04:54 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.