P I Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
P I Intake

Can you put on a Ford P I intake on a 97 4.6 without changing the heads? If so what extra parts should be bought?
Davesorl04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yes you can, google "PI Swap" or "PI intake swap". You'll need a few things but its not that bad, I forget off the top of my head. I'm more of a pushrod guy still even though I've had this modular for a few years now. PO did the swap on mine and it in an entire engine anyway lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yes you can, google "PI Swap" or "PI intake swap". You'll need a few things but its not that bad, I forget off the top of my head. I'm more of a pushrod guy still even though I've had this modular for a few years now. PO did the swap on mine and it in an entire engine anyway lol.
Thanks, Looked on AM for the heads for this model but could only find heads for the 5.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

click me

That's for new PI heads on AM but honestly you can get them for half that price for the pair if you look on forum classifieds like the Corral/SVTP/Stangnet etc... CL might have some too around you. The PI intake alone is ok but until the other NPI stuff comes off too it'll still be a slug. A bonus to using a NPI shortblock is that you get higher compression and more power. PI swapped NPI motors cars are actually a little quicker all other things being equal.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
click me

That's for new PI heads on AM but honestly you can get them for half that price for the pair if you look on forum classifieds like the Corral/SVTP/Stangnet etc... CL might have some too around you. The PI intake alone is ok but until the other NPI stuff comes off too it'll still be a slug. A bonus to using a NPI shortblock is that you get higher compression and more power. PI swapped NPI motors cars are actually a little quicker all other things being equal.
Thanks for the info. Got a bid on a set, and also found a 01 motor that had a rod knocking that has the heads and 21 lb injectors. My luck I'll end up with 2 sets of heads. What's involved in rebuilding the injectors, or do you think they would not need it, maybe just o rings?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly I'd send them out to get rebuilt and flow tested. They come back to you like new with a flow sheet to confirm they are within X percent of each other. It used to be $100 back in 2007, would have to look it up now. You can just get an already rebuilt set too on the evilbays.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly I'd send them out to get rebuilt and flow tested. They come back to you like new with a flow sheet to confirm they are within X percent of each other. It used to be $100 back in 2007, would have to look it up now. You can just get an already rebuilt set too on the evilbays.
I like that, evilbays. Been reading about dyi porting, ever had any experience?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hell no, I let the pros handle that.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hell no, I let the pros handle that.
Can't help it man, I'm a tinkerer. If I do end up with two sets I'll probably give it a try on one. If not I'm with ya on the pro's.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
click me

+1,000

That is all.....lol

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

And honestly as far as ported heads... all depends. You can get a new ported set for $1500-$1800 depending on where you go. A local porter around me is VERY well known and awesome at it and he charges $1500 plus I could probably sell him back my cores for $100-$200 depending. Or you can spring for TFS heads for I think $2300 that will outflow ANY safely ported PI head right out of the box. However PI heads are proven to support up and over 800hp fully ported out so if you don't need more than that save the $1k.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And honestly as far as ported heads... all depends. You can get a new ported set for $1500-$1800 depending on where you go. A local porter around me is VERY well known and awesome at it and he charges $1500 plus I could probably sell him back my cores for $100-$200 depending. Or you can spring for TFS heads for I think $2300 that will outflow ANY safely ported PI head right out of the box. However PI heads are proven to support up and over 800hp fully ported out so if you don't need more than that save the $1k.
Wo, this car is going to be a budget build. Trying to maximize power with minimum money. You know sort of a self made callange.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can make good power for not too much money but you're going to have to spend a decent chunk to utilize what you do have the in the most effective way.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So I can get more power by just changing the heads. Even more with a conservative DYI porting. Or maximize power letting a pro port. Sounds like a win, win, win. Then add the PI intake, hm, nice
Old 12-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

No you should do it all at once. Honestly man I'd just bolt on the PI heads as is with the PI intake and PI cams, do the whole PI swap. Then the bolt ons and a 93 octane tune and see where you are. It'll be a big difference from the NPI motor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT