Engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Engine

My mechanic told me Hes got the 2003 Mach 1 engine with 17k miles on it and I was wondering what would it take for that engine to fit in my GT i have the tr3650 and the engine came out of a auto Mach 1
Top stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Engine

The tranny you have will bolt right up. Not sure what else is needed.

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok perfect cuz I want to take the shaker off then put the cobra blower on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Its a 99% bolt in. Your harness may need to be lenghtened, unless you also have the one out of the Mach. Your ecu will even work too. That is of course if you don't have the one out of the mach.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok perfect so I just need a few things. I think I'm going to go this route instead of getting a vortech it'd all be about the same price and this engine has a lot less miles and more room to go

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Grow
Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'd agree with you lol

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
2v to 4v New Edge Swap writeup

That should list everything you need to do
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man that helped
Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The Tfs 2v heads and cam kit are a great option for the 2v , they the Tfs 2v heads flow better than imported 4v heads and are much simpler .

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Unported, not imported
02 GT,Ford racing C springs,Tokico rear shocks,Mpr full length subframe connectors,Kyb adjustable front struts,hardened steel axles,3.73 gears,Bbk uppers,Granitelli adjustable lowers, Mach 1 seats,Steeda Tri ax shifter,Exedy stage 2 clutch,Firdanza aluminum flywheel,Bbk adjustable clutch quadrant,Bbk shorty headers ,Mpr catted x pipe,Pypes Violator catback,Jlt cai,Bulitt intake manifold,Venom 24 lb injectors,Ngk iridium plugs,TFS twisted wedge heads and cams,stock short block ,custom dyno tune on a Mustang dyno.
weschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #10

Region: Asia
I want to ask u all a question.
I have a 5.0 2011 full bolt-on and I'm looking to upgrade but I'm confused between putting a supercharge and cum shaft or build an engine with a block and heads and cum shaft so which is better? Thanks all for the replays in advance.
Alrashidii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by weschris View Post
The Tfs 2v heads and cam kit are a great option for the 2v , they the Tfs 2v heads flow better than imported 4v heads and are much simpler .

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Unported, not imported
You'll get the TFS vs 4V arguement till the cows come home. Both are great options but I'm willing to bet that Mach 4V engine is going to cost him less than the TFS heads new and that engine should drop right in with very little modifications. He's also getting a 17k mile rotating assembly. And he's getting the aluminum block too. Only bad thing is the crank/rods/pistons are the exact same as the ones in the 2V and will still limit him to the 400-425whp safe range. I'd just leave it NA, install 4.30s and bolt ons and shoot for 11s if it were me. Forget the power adder, don't need it to go fast in a 4V with the right suspension setup and a good driver.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrashidii View Post
I want to ask u all a question.
I have a 5.0 2011 full bolt-on and I'm looking to upgrade but I'm confused between putting a supercharge and cum shaft or build an engine with a block and heads and cum shaft so which is better? Thanks all for the replays in advance.
First of all welcome! Unfortunately this is the 96-04 GT section, most of us don't know what's best for the new 5.0s, your best bet would be to post in the 11-14 GT section.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
First of all welcome! Unfortunately this is the 96-04 GT section, most of us don't know what's best for the new 5.0s, your best bet would be to post in the 11-14 GT section.
I wonder if he'll ask about his cum shaft in the Coyote section now. I hope it was just autocorrect... I had issues with my cum shaft last night and had to have it taken care of by a professional.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I wonder if he'll ask about his cum shaft in the Coyote section now. I hope it was just autocorrect... I had issues with my cum shaft last night and had to have it taken care of by a professional.
LMAO.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha I'm sure they can get his cum shaft squared away just fine
Old 12-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You'll get the TFS vs 4V arguement till the cows come home. Both are great options but I'm willing to bet that Mach 4V engine is going to cost him less than the TFS heads new and that engine should drop right in with very little modifications. He's also getting a 17k mile rotating assembly. And he's getting the aluminum block too. Only bad thing is the crank/rods/pistons are the exact same as the ones in the 2V and will still limit him to the 400-425whp safe range. I'd just leave it NA, install 4.30s and bolt ons and shoot for 11s if it were me. Forget the power adder, don't need it to go fast in a 4V with the right suspension setup and a good driver.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387480137.511287.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	142229Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387480201.327751.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	142230
02 GT,Ford racing C springs,Tokico rear shocks,Mpr full length subframe connectors,Kyb adjustable front struts,hardened steel axles,3.73 gears,Bbk uppers,Granitelli adjustable lowers, Mach 1 seats,Steeda Tri ax shifter,Exedy stage 2 clutch,Firdanza aluminum flywheel,Bbk adjustable clutch quadrant,Bbk shorty headers ,Mpr catted x pipe,Pypes Violator catback,Jlt cai,Bulitt intake manifold,Venom 24 lb injectors,Ngk iridium plugs,TFS twisted wedge heads and cams,stock short block ,custom dyno tune on a Mustang dyno.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Flow numbers aren't everything. The exhaust ports on the TFS can't even come close to touching the 4V and that's a fact. I agree that the 2V is more than enough for 99% of ppl out there but if I was shooting for a 4 figure HP number I'd be looking for some ported revised 4V heads, custom cams and the works.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

TFS 2v exhaust and 4v exaust
Old 12-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387497819.962138.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	142255Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387498038.210168.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	142257
Old 12-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

TFS exhaust out flows imported 4v

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Unported
Old 12-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes I'm glad you can pull flow numbers off the interwebs, we've all seen those. Again, its not just all about flow. There is also velocity, turbulence, atomization, available intake manifolds etc... B heads outflow C heads but the C head is the better head and that's fact.

You also do realize that out of the box the TFS heads are about done right? There is a LOT of room to grow with the 4V heads and ported C heads routinely flow over 310 cfm no problem. So please, get some IRL experience instead of posting numbers we've already all seen.

WITH THAT SAID, I love me a good 2V and am going to stay 2V with my GT. Advantages are:

-Lighter
-Less valvetrain to worry about
-More room to work in the engine bay
-All the power adders for the 4V are available for the 2V
-Sleeper effect

Although I will not be going TFS heads. Ported PI heads will cost me $1k less when you factor in shipping and are good for more power than I'll ever need. If I wanted 1,000hp+ I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on some ported C heads.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I have a friend who has been porting heads for 40 years , I'm well aware of the potential of 4 v heads, I was just trying to point out anther alternative , also you can port TFS 2v heads and add larger valves of one wishes to do so , that's all.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Yes I'm glad you can pull flow numbers off the interwebs, we've all seen those. Again, its not just all about flow. There is also velocity, turbulence, atomization, available intake manifolds etc... B heads outflow C heads but the C head is the better head and that's fact.

You also do realize that out of the box the TFS heads are about done right? There is a LOT of room to grow with the 4V heads and ported C heads routinely flow over 310 cfm no problem. So please, get some IRL experience instead of posting numbers we've already all seen.

WITH THAT SAID, I love me a good 2V and am going to stay 2V with my GT. Advantages are:

-Lighter
-Less valvetrain to worry about
-More room to work in the engine bay
-All the power adders for the 4V are available for the 2V
-Sleeper effect

Although I will not be going TFS heads. Ported PI heads will cost me $1k less when you factor in shipping and are good for more power than I'll ever need. If I wanted 1,000hp+ I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on some ported C heads.

+1

I'm with you on this one. Here's the plan for mine. I already have everything but the heads...

No power adder, just bolt ons; stock bottom end with baffled oil pan; high flow oil pump; electric water pump; fully dressed 38cc trick flow heads port matched to lower intake and upper intake as well to throttle body. 42lb injectors; calibrated air flow meter and all with a custom tune.

I figure this setup should net me about 350-365 reliable naturally aspirated horsepower. I want a balanced car that has good usable power from the mid-high range that has handling to match. I'll make up the lack of bottom end torque through a rear gear upgrade to either a 3:55 or 3:73. I figure my engine mods with a custom tune shouldn't break the bank when compared to using power adders or converting to a 4V. My suspension setup is another story....
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Problem with that setup is the guy with the same or less money than you in a supercharger setup is going to be making 400-425 to the wheels without even trying. At least that's my take on it. I see 0 reason to stay NA with a modular, its just not cost effective or worth it. Like I said that's just me though. If you like NA go NA. I might look into selling your modular and going with a 94/95 car and a 408 stroker though... those will do 500/500 to the tires on a very mild build, get 17-19mpg and wtfpwn just about anything in a light to light race.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Problem with that setup is the guy with the same or less money than you in a supercharger setup is going to be making 400-425 to the wheels without even trying. At least that's my take on it. I see 0 reason to stay NA with a modular, its just not cost effective or worth it. Like I said that's just me though. If you like NA go NA. I might look into selling your modular and going with a 94/95 car and a 408 stroker though... those will do 500/500 to the tires on a very mild build, get 17-19mpg and wtfpwn just about anything in a light to light race.

To each his own but like I said, I want a balanced car-- that has enough streetable power and handling to match. When I was in my 20's 500+hp was all I wanted, but that much power isn't all that much fun unless you frequent a drag strip every other weekend--most of the time guys throw a blower on and have a car that handles like pig.

A reliable NA setup will be responsive; have less tuning issues and make more than enough power to put a smile on your face. The 99-04 GT's need about 100 pounds shaved off and another 100-125 NA hp; proper suspension setup (including a properly setup IRS) and you'll have a pretty decent car that can run with most on the street. Don't forget, the Terminator's came with 390 hp (well 420ish)..so my 2V setup isn't far off and those cars are the favorites among late models...plus with NA you'll get the respect from fellow gear heads...
Old 12-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
To each his own but like I said, I want a balanced car-- that has enough streetable power and handling to match. When I was in my 20's 500+hp was all I wanted, but that much power isn't all that much fun unless you frequent a drag strip every other weekend--most of the time guys throw a blower on and have a car that handles like pig.

A reliable NA setup will be responsive; have less tuning issues and make more than enough power to put a smile on your face. The 99-04 GT's need about 100 pounds shaved off and another 100-125 NA hp; proper suspension setup (including a properly setup IRS) and you'll have a pretty decent car that can run with most on the street. Don't forget, the Terminator's came with 390 hp (well 420ish)..so my 2V setup isn't far off and those cars are the favorites among late models...plus with NA you'll get the respect from fellow gear heads...

Why would you get more respect for staying NA than you would from boosting? It's just two different means to an end. Two different builds to gear toward. Why is one more impressive than the other?

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Why would you get more respect for staying NA than you would from boosting? It's just two different means to an end. Two different builds to gear toward. Why is one more impressive than the other?

In some circles, it's often regarded as a more creative way to make power. Anyone can make power by adding boost or nitrous to an engine. But digging a little deeper and making power without a power adder takes a little more ingenuity. No disrespect at all to the guys that add blowers, but nowadays that's all most guys do. They save up some $$, buy a blower, install and go. It's quick and easy. I guess I'm just a little old fashioned and like to go against the grain once in a while. My route might be more time consuming and maybe even cost a little more but it's good old fashioned tuning and once it's done, I have no worries about drivability or over boosting etc etc. just my opinion...
Old 12-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Engine

Quote:
In some circles, it's often regarded as a more creative way to make power. Anyone can make power by adding boost or nitrous to an engine. But digging a little deeper and making power without a power adder takes a little more ingenuity. No disrespect at all to the guys that add blowers, but nowadays that's all most guys do. They save up some $$, buy a blower, install and go. It's quick and easy. I guess I'm just a little old fashioned and like to go against the grain once in a while. My route might be more time consuming and maybe even cost a little more but it's good old fashioned tuning and once it's done, I have no worries about drivability or over boosting etc etc. just my opinion...

I get it. I was just trying to understand your thought process. I have a built 4.6 2v that I went with a little lower compression but it's pushing about 300-315rwhp ATM. Boosting soon. Not because I'm lazy but because I want a centri supercharger. I've always wanted a built, cammed, boosted engine. Haha

Your build is gonna be great and I can't wait to see it finished! Best of luck.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I see,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1388408303162.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	143226  

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm with you on that one my goal is 500 NA RWHP. One day I will get there :p
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

These modulars are also not as cheap or easy to get power out of NA, I would go with a pushrod for that.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
These modulars are also not as cheap or easy to get power out of NA, I would go with a pushrod for that.

For sure but I'm not looking for huge power gains--just enough to make the car a bit more fun. The estimated cost to do my engine setup is a little over $7k. Which includes fully dressed heads; throttle body; upper and lower intake; cold air; water pump; injectors; oil pan; fuel pump; headers; short throw and rear gear. I would only need a shop to install the fuel pump; rear gear and program a custom tune. A pushrod motor would most likely cost a fraction with the same parts and give double the gains I agree but it wouldn't be my motor that came with my car. I bought my '00 new and have been the only driver. It's bone stock except for mufflers and brakes so I have a hard time wanting to replace the engine in for something else just to make a tonne of extra power--which I don't need. I would only do that if a blew mine and it was beyond repair--even then I don't think I'd build a power monster. I guess I'm just nostalgic...
Old 12-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I say it's your money do as you wish. If you wanted to platinum plate everything under the hood just because, then have at it. It's all about making you happy in the end. 😎
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT