98 GT Clock Ticking Sound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Question 98 GT Clock Ticking Sound

First, I've never heard this ticking sound until after I got my catback install from the shop I went. The guy who drove in my car had the Clutch Pedal and Gas Pedal push down and started the vehicle. REVED it all the way! Told him he's gonna blow my motor up and he just nodded.

I'll post a video as soon as I can.
Sounds like a clock ticking from the Engine Bay. I can hear it when i'm going around 20-30 mph but after that I cannot. I feel no lost of power or sluggish. I've just had a recent oil change as well. New PCV Valve included.

Looked around Google and some say it could be an Exhaust Leak, bent rod?, lifters, etc.

Edited: Don't know what has been done to the car but the Motor has almost 190K Miles on it.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Most likely sounds like an exhaust leak since you said that it started after having exhaust work done. Does it go away after everything is heated up?
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Exhaust leak, take it back and make them fix it and if that guy tries that **** again don't just sit there and let him do it. Its YOUR car, if he's too stupid to let an engine properly warm up before taking it to redline he should not be touching a lawnmower let alone a car. I'd have reached over and yanked the keys out of the igniton and went straight to the manager if it was me. Although if it was me I would not let a shop be touching my car unless it was a body shop to fix crash damage or do frame work.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

happened to me, went through 2 diff kinds of gaskets, look at these, haven't heard a tick since putting these on, can get them at auto zone.

Mr. Gasket Aluminum Exhaust Gaskets - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah the dead soft aluminum ones are the way to go. You also need to retorque the header bolts each heat cycle for 2-3 cycles after you get headers done. Unless you use stage 8 bolts anyway which is what I've ALWAYS used when I do headers. Proper torque values are important too and I'd be willing to bet a yahoo who just guns a cold motor didn't use a torque wrench.

Ugh I hate shops... HATE shops... I've taken the blue car to a shop for subframes, that's IT. And that shop has a ridiculously good reputation.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah the dead soft aluminum ones are the way to go. You also need to retorque the header bolts each heat cycle for 2-3 cycles after you get headers done. Unless you use stage 8 bolts anyway which is what I've ALWAYS used when I do headers. Proper torque values are important too and I'd be willing to bet a yahoo who just guns a cold motor didn't use a torque wrench.

Ugh I hate shops... HATE shops... I've taken the blue car to a shop for subframes, that's IT. And that shop has a ridiculously good reputation.
yeah! I deff recommend the soft alum. ones!! I only took mine for tranny rebuild and the shift kit and stall.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't got around to a video. Been at work. Noticed the noise only when I start the car cold and when I drive 20 miles and the noise goes away. Warm engine and sitting at idle I don't hear it.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah because the heat is expanding wherever the leak is and its sealing itself up. Might be as simple as the jackass didn't want to tighten the collector bolts all the way, would not be the first time some yutz mechanic didn't want to mess with that nut on the passenger side...

Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah because the heat is expanding wherever the leak is and its sealing itself up. Might be as simple as the jackass didn't want to tighten the collector bolts all the way, would not be the first time some yutz mechanic didn't want to mess with that nut on the passenger side...
x2!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT