Tone and probe open circuit passanger airbag - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
Tone and probe open circuit passanger airbag

Hey guys im a newbie and have an airbag code flashing. Im getting code 33 which is high resistance or open, i know little about electricity but im curious to know if anybody in the forum has had this code and how they have fixed it. I've read to "not probe any airbag sensors" and that's what i was thinking on doing lol... Btw i have a 98 mustang gt , clean title when i bought it the pasanger airbag looked slightly out of place but wasnt deployed or anything any help is grratly appreciated thanks =:

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

0220stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #2

Region: Florida
This one may be better left to a shop, as to test it properly, you need an air bag simulator.

Troubleshooting the issue can be a little complicated, as it involves measuring resistances in the circuit, which require you to have an airbag simulator. Basically, if you have an airbag simulator attached to the system instead of the airbag, and the light doesn't flash a code, you have a faulty airbag, which you could get from a junkyard (keep in mind some states require you to document certain information, like the vin of the car the airbag came from. If you still get the code, the next step would be to measure resistances from the diagnostic monitor connector. If those resistances check out, you likely have a defective diagnostic monitor (blue box). Those should still be available new from Ford. There's always the chance you have failures in more than one of those systems (diagnostic monitor, wiring, and airbag).

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Region: New Jersey
If its out of place it could be as simple as the connection has come loose over time. Drop the glovebox and gander up in there and see if the person before you properly installed it/bolted it in correctly and hooked up the plug. Could have snapped the clips on the plug even if it is in all the way and the plug backed out. I did a full black interior swap to my 98 a year ago and those airbags come right out. 2 bolts IIRC and the plastic trim piece has velcro for sticking to the rest of the dash but is physically attached to the airbag module itself.

And as far as the VIN stuff... if that's a law in my state I have 0 clue and 0 clue when that would ever come up unless it failed to deploy and a detective/insurance got involved... I guess... I know a few ppl rolling around with no airbags and IMO a seatbelt is enough without an explosive/bunch of white powder going off in your face and possibly breaking your nose. Kind of why I like the 89 foxes. Stock mass air, no airbag, tilt steering but I digress.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT