Convertible leaking and its not the top! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Convertible leaking and its not the top!

So I am driving to work two weeks ago after a big rain storm. I hear a lot of sloshing around and see this behind my front seats:

Uh oh!

So I plug every possible suspect piece of weather stripping, pull the carpet, shop vac and air it out. Fast forward 4 days, another big rain storm, next morning in the car, same issue, basically flooded. Water is not coming in through the top, back window or weather stripping.

I am suspecting water of draining where the top meets the rubber seal by the trunk. Where does this water go? It should drain off the top, into the rubber channel and exiting where??? See picture below

Inside, I've heard there are drains along the quarter panel. I found the floor drains under the rear seat. Those are obviously not what I am asking about.

So when I pull the back seats, seat pad and associated quarter panel, what am I looking for? The whole area under the back seat and where the back seat passenger would put his feet are soaked. Where are these drains I keep reading about? All of the threads I can find are older so I don't want to rehash them.

Anyone dealt with this before? Car is a 1995 but figured since it fits more years with this body style, this would be a better place to ask.
surfinglbi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Mine does it too, I believe mine is coming from where the window meets the quarter window. I found out if you open close the door by the window it mis-aligns it and allows water in......

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That's a good theory. I'm still wondering where the water drains that runs off the top towards the trunk and gets trapped by the big seal between the trunk and the top. Anyone know where that water drains? Been too cold to throw the hose on it, will fill some pots this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Look at where the quarter window and the top meet I have issues with water coming in through there and filling up in space behind the rear seat,

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Also have the same issue you are having just not as severe
TylerJanocha21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I will check. I think there is a gap there for sure I just also think I have a drainage issue. If I can clear the drains out I can also work on keeping water out. But for now, water is flooding in so I need to get it out!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
On my 04 it leaks at the bottom of the rear window, on both lower corners. Just gets worn out from wear and tear. Not a permanent fix, but I leave a big towel in the liner to soak up the water before it gets to the floor.
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm guessing you already checked this, but my convertible leaks where the passenger window touches the quarter window. If you look there's a very small gap between the two and during hard rain storms it leaks right into the rear floor mat.

Just a thought. The last really bad rain storm my car went through, my floor at was filled with water lol. Sucks but I guess it's just part of owning a vert

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchManDann View Post
I'm guessing you already checked this, but my convertible leaks where the passenger window touches the quarter window. If you look there's a very small gap between the two and during hard rain storms it leaks right into the rear floor mat.

Just a thought. The last really bad rain storm my car went through, my floor at was filled with water lol. Sucks but I guess it's just part of owning a vert

Yeah mine does the same thing
Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so my rear window is not leaking. I poured a few buckets on it and it looks like my drains are stopped up a bit. I'm going to pull the rest of the interior next week and clear them out.

From what I can tell, the major leak spots are clogged drains (pour water on the back window and you can watch it pour out the channels in front of the rear tires). Second common spot would be rear window at the bottom corners.

Third spot is the rear quarters, where they meet the car, the full window, bottom etc. They are generally a pain. I'll try to post up a video of the drains when I get out there.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinglbi23 View Post
Ok so my rear window is not leaking. I poured a few buckets on it and it looks like my drains are stopped up a bit. I'm going to pull the rest of the interior next week and clear them out.

From what I can tell, the major leak spots are clogged drains (pour water on the back window and you can watch it pour out the channels in front of the rear tires). Second common spot would be rear window at the bottom corners.

Third spot is the rear quarters, where they meet the car, the full window, bottom etc. They are generally a pain. I'll try to post up a video of the drains when I get out there.
Post a video would be great, good luck.
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I had a similar problem with mine and the rear quarter panel filled with water. I put the top down got my wet/dry vac and sucked all the water and junk out.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So do all convertibles leak pretty much all the time, at this age? I am looking at a vert but if it will constantly be leaking, then that's not what I want to invest my money in lol.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No they don't. Leaks are common but there is a ton of information out there on stopping them. Get a vert they are awesome I have my top down all the time.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #14

Region: West Virgina
I had the same problem with my 2003 GT convertible, rain and a pool of water in the rear foot well behind the drivers seat. I needed a new top and talking with the shop putting the top on they told me there are drains beneath the trim, the one that runs around the car at the base of the top. These drains clog up with dirt and instead of the water draining to the ground it runs into the car. They cleaned mine and leak gone.
WEBSTAR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTAR62 View Post
I had the same problem with my 2003 GT convertible, rain and a pool of water in the rear foot well behind the drivers seat. I needed a new top and talking with the shop putting the top on they told me there are drains beneath the trim, the one that runs around the car at the base of the top. These drains clog up with dirt and instead of the water draining to the ground it runs into the car. They cleaned mine and leak gone.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

How do you get theses off to clean em
Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #16

Since I had the shop replacing the top do the work I don't know how they come off. Maybe they pop off like most of the other trim does. I know you don't want to mess them up because they are pretty pricey to replace.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If you pour a bucket of water down the back window slowly you will see the water trickle out if each set of drains.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #18

I was told by the shop replacing my top the drains are inside of the rear fender. The water runs off the top into the channel at the base of the top and down a tube to a drain hole. Might be worth it to pour some water on the top and see where the water drains out.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It drains out a few inches in front of the rear wheels. Once the weather warms up ill get a video up of my drains. It's too cold now mustang is taking a break!!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #20

Mine leaked in two places

After the heavy rains of Oct. 2105 in Austin, Tx, my wheel well leaked between the spot welds. I took the speaker cover out to find the leaking seam. Squirted blue RTV heavily on the entire seam.
Also,
The weatherstrip has a little piece of "flab" near the body that covers the gap. I pulled out the weatherstrip and repositioned it. see pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel well.JPG
Views:	918
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	193955   Click image for larger version

Name:	window.JPG
Views:	1016
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	193956  

oh4pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #21

Region: Tennessee
oh4pony,

I have holes on each side of my top/quarter window, as you described. However, I don't see the trim to move to plug the holes. Would you have time to take a picture of this trim, so I can find it on my 99 GT, or buy the missing parts?

Thanks,

nashville_bill
nashville_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #22

Water comes in the gaps, 99-04 convertible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville_bill View Post
oh4pony,

I have holes on each side of my top/quarter window, as you described. However, I don't see the trim to move to plug the holes. Would you have time to take a picture of this trim, so I can find it on my 99 GT, or buy the missing parts?

Thanks,

nashville_bill
This is a pict of the driver's side rear quarter window lower weatherstrip. The picture shows an ink pen stuck in the hole that the weatherstrip should be covering up. I am contemplating gluing a small piece of rubber to the flap in order to fill the gap. The passenger side is identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	195456  
oh4pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #23

Region: Tennessee
Thanks for the pictures; they look a lot like my problem, but I think the holes in mine may be bigger. I cut a couple of pieces of foam and pushed them into the holes for the winter. I'd like to have a permanent fix by springtime though.
nashville_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #24

Region: Massachusetts
Leaking water

My top was leaking. I could see it streaming in through back corner. I also had water on floor behind front seats. I took it to auto upholstery business who deals with convertibles. They know how to test and fix leaks. He repaired seal around window and cleaned out water drains in rear quarter panels. Said if you drive car all the time... Even in winter... The drains get clogged from road debri. He said classic sign is hearing the sloshing sound. Cost me $95. No leaks anymore. Check your car insurance... Mine covers glass 100%. If fix on window seal doesn't work I will have to have window replaced, but insurance covers it. If no insurance it's a $700 job.
02convstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT