Brakes Dragging? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Region: Nebraska
Brakes Dragging?

I have a 2001 GT and on my rear left brake, the outside pad drags.... Not enough to slow me down.. Very slight noise when cold out and just coasting.. It would get very hot so hot it burnt me on contact..

What I have done is changed the pins,bolts, and boots... This CONSIDERABLY reduced the dragging... And did not get AS hot.. But again it was minimal to start.. Obviously if it was the caliper sticking the Inside would drag as well if I am thinking clearly... Any and all help would be wonderful as you guys
Know the calipers arnt cheap.....

Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
I would make sure the pins have a really good coat of grease on them.

1997 black GT
SLP Loudmouth cat back
PBrown92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Canada
The carrier bracket that the pins slide in have terrible castings. I had the same problem--drivers side rear. I changed the pads; rotors and greased the heck out of the pins the first time. Then it happened again within two years of replacing the noted components. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the closed end of the carrier had a small hole in the casting. This lets in water/moisture and after a while the slide pins--no matter how much grease you use--seize or at the least don't move as smoothly as they should. My only suggestion is to replace with a new aftermarket piece....about $40 each

Hope this helps
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT