Crown Vic Engine Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Crown Vic Engine Swap

So I bought this mustang a couple weeks ago and long story short, I'm swapping the engine out for one from a crown Vic. I'm almost done getting the current engine out. Here lies my first question. I was told that if I swap the heads and intake from the gt to vic, the compression goes from 9.5:1 to 10.5:1, bringing something like a 30hp gain. Is this true? Any further information on that would be greatly appreciated. Also, what else do I have to replace while I have it off?
Next question: is this going to ruin me for tunes? I'm thinking that, especially is that compression thing is true, I won't be able to use any tunes that aren't dyno tunes.
Any other advise/tips on the task as a whole would be hugely appreciated, as this is my first time doing anything as intricate as an engine swap. Any wires to check for, any specific order to unhook and hook up things, tricks for getting certain bolts, and anything else.
THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!

loganf1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The compression ratio you are referring to relates to swapping PI heads on to a non PI short block. The pistons in a PI motor, are not dished is deep as a PI motor. You would not be able to use a canned tune, and a dyno tune like you said would be how you would have to get it to run. It is possible usually using high octane gas, that you might not need to get a tune. But you would only know after you put it all together and start it up.

What year Mustang? What year crown vic?

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

As for tips just make sure that when you swap the PI heads on, you make sure the timing chains are lined up properly. Otherwise you could damage the head and / or the piston. Pick up a Haynes manual in regards to the Mustang, and that should have any information regarding pulling or installing a head. Or search for PI head swap and there is a plethora of info out there. Also, you will need a PI coolant tube, that runs in the valley of the short blocks underneath the intake manifold.

***resident gun idiot***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's a 2000 GT and a 97 Vic. That would really suck... Why exactly would that be? Does that difference in the pistons really make enough difference to keep it from running, or is there more to it?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well its not that it won't run, but it could run really lean. You'll get detonation, and that's not good on an engine. Hence the higher octane gas would help, but may not alleviate all the detonation without a tune

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Is there an issue with the engine in the 00'?

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

How do I make sure the timing chains are lined up properly? I was looking at the chains and gears and saw no indicators. As for the coolant tube, is that something that isn't on the original?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No you can use the tube on the 00'. If you research "pi swap" you'll find instructions on how to time it properly. There is a tool that holds the cams in place (its expensive), but when I did it i used vice grips to hold it and line them up.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well wen I got it a few weeks ago, it hadn't run in 3 years. The previous owner lost his license after it broke down and he put a fuel pump in it, so it didn't have gas in it for the 3 years. After a tune up and some loving, it got running, and after 2 new injectors, had it running on 7 of 8. Only had 100psi in the front passenger side cylinder. Camshaft is fine, as is the rocker. No luck in the leak down test. So we have another motor ready, looks like I'm gonna need it.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I see. Well I had a rod disagree with my crank and decided to leave the block. I found a 4.6 out of a totaled 98' Mercury and bought the complete engine for 50 bucks. So I did pretty much exactly what your doing. If the Stang is a manual your gonma need a 6 bolt flywheel too...

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If u switch to a 6 bolt FW don't you have to get a new clutch as well?

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No, but depending on how long its been since that clutch has been replaced it might be worth it to install a new one since you're already in there. Also, because your heads are windors heads and the vic engine is a romeo, you might have to use the timing cover from the windor block to match the heads. Just make sure to get a new gasket set and make sure it seals up good.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Flywheel?

The flywheels are different. The Crown Vic's flywheel has 6 bolts holding the flywheel itself to the engine while the mustang has 8. And the 4 holes for the stall converter on the Vic are 1.375" from the outside, while the holes on the mustang are 1.875" from the outside. And I'm at a complete loss as to what I should do now.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. Thats what i was saying. Romeos are 6 bolt, and windsor are 8. So you have an auto. Its because the vic uses an AODE and the stang is a 4r70w. Just look for a auto flywheel for an 01-04 stang on craigslist or ebay, and you can pick up one cheap.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ohhhh I see. Thank you! I'll see what I can find.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oh also, not sure of the mileage on the vic motor, but it might be a good idea to check the compression on the cylinders before you install it, just incase the rings are bad. A lot easier to fix an issue with it out. But if you're under a time crunch (like most of us) you might not have the time.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Just my 2¢ but isn't it a downgrade on what you are doing? Putting a non pi motor on a 00 mustang? Maybe im reading it wrong but you already have the better motor in the car. The 97 will most likely be a non pi motor which is a downgrade. Unless you wanna use the 97 block with 00 heads that would make sense but if its a direct swap what you wanna do putting in the crown vic motor would be a downgrade by itself. Like i said maybe i read it all wrong but its how i understand whats goin on
Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Just my 2¢ but isn't it a downgrade on what you are doing? Putting a non pi motor on a 00 mustang? Maybe im reading it wrong but you already have the better motor in the car. The 97 will most likely be a non pi motor which is a downgrade. Unless you wanna use the 97 block with 00 heads that would make sense but if its a direct swap what you wanna do putting in the crown vic motor would be a downgrade by itself. Like i said maybe i read it all wrong but its how i understand whats goin on
You're right, but the OP was going to do the PI swap.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh ok in that case may i suggest acquiring 21# injectirssince they dont max out and run on a better duty cycle. Once u go pi swap with 93 octane to reduce pinging and premature detonating
Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Ahh ok in that case may i suggest acquiring 21# injectirssince they dont max out and run on a better duty cycle. Once u go pi swap with 93 octane to reduce pinging and premature detonating
Good point

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-31-2013, 02:07 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I will be doing the PI swap. I'll also definitely check the compression. That's a great point. Also, I'm considering 24# injectors. I plan on doing bolt ons and from what I've read, going that little bit higher can't really hurt, can it? Anyway, now that I've gotten the original engine out of the car and taken off the heads, I'm not even sure that I'll need the new block. Everything looks fine, might just need to get the one piston re-ringed. Good news. Except, of course, for the fact that I already bought the Vic engine. So that's great. Haha
Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Does the cylinder wall look good on the bad piston? If so, you could get away with it. If you do go with 24's you'll need a tune for sure. In 01' ford switched to 21's on the GT since the 19's were almost maxed out on thier duty cycle. They ran alittle rich, but the original tune was fine. Anything bigger however, and you'll want that tuned. You can always re sell the vic, or even the PI motor as is too.....

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT