Roush Side Exhaust setup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Roush Side Exhaust setup

Some may recall the scratched horror that is my '04 GT here. Since I start working again next week, soon I'll be able to put some well-needed $$ into her

I'm looking at replacing several exterior parts due to damage (rocker panels & front fascia) and thought "why the hell not install a side exhaust setup?" so i've done some digging...

Spintech sells a kit (w/ optional R tips):
Ford - Mustang - Mustang V8 Applications - SpinTech Performance Mufflers
Then upgrade from aluminized to stainless steel for another 300, plus tips...yikes

Im not going dumps, i prefer a straight-up side exhaust, which means i need to have the correct rockers. Now in my specific application, I need some exterior parts plus the whole exhaust shebang, so next i done found me this:
99-04 Mustang ROUSH STAGE 3 - Body kit & Exhuast (Front W/Fogs & Grilles + Rear + Sides + Exhuast) - Urethane [99BK-RS3-URE-FULL3] - $1,499.99 : MrBodykit.com, The Most Diverse Mustang Bodykits and Mustang Aftermarket Parts on the Planet

Now im not a fan of the front (just mho), and tbh i'd prefer the Saleen front, but the whole damn body kit + Roush exhaust system for $1500 is a helluva deal. I figure i can sell/trade the front for a Saleen, or at least do some damage towards the cost.

Lastly, my 'ideal' exhaust setup ('the Exhaustinator' lol) will be pairing this Roush system with an o/r prochamber.

So for those far more knowledgeable on this...will all of this jive together properly? And please honest opinions on the proposed setup. I love the sound of the prochamber, and I really do like how the side exhaust looks in some of them internets pix, so feel free to express your opinion either way. I know it's my car my money etc, but i'd like to hear your input.

Maybe somebody did this and had a problem or two they resolved? Maybe somebody down the line wants to do this too?

Thanks! Pic provided as a visual reference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm02_4k010_v8_1999_2004_mustang_gt_roush_axle_back_exhaust_system_4_med.jpg
Views:	10286
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	143420  
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I honestly don't think the Saleen bumper is gonna go with the rest of the Roush kit. You're gonna need a low front bumper to compete with these side skirts.

Have you looked into the 2000 Cobra R exhaust as well?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
+1 on the cobra R kit I plan on saving up to buy the whole kit from cj pony for the cervini kit
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'm not a huge fan of the Roush front at all. Actually I hate it but that's me. I agree a Saleen front would not really flow that well with it. I mean I dunno its up to you. What I would do if it was me:

-Just suck it up and pay for a 99/01 Cobra front bumper
-Mach/Bullitt sail panels
-Terminator side skirts
-Magnaflow stainless catback

Like so, well minus the Cobra bumper. I dunno the GT bumper is way underrated IMO. Put a Mach lip on it and it looks tits.

Mmmmmm....
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i had looked at the Cobra R kit, but i dont quite like the tips coming out from under the skirting. Having the side molded around it just looks like it flows better, feng shui and all that.

I like the look of the Saleen front, but if it doesn't go well with the side bits then it doesnt go well... However, that 99/01 bumper holds some appeal.

I hadn't considered the sail panels (had to look up wth they were haha), but i can sorta see the appeal in replacing them. That one's gonna require more research.

About the side exhaust, honestly it's such a rarity to see on the streets and I'm a fan of standing apart from the crowd, so I'm more than likely to follow that path. Cash is king, but that's where I'm looking to take it
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Personally I don't like the side exhaust at all, but hey it's not my car. It will be hit or miss, some people will love it, or they will think its hideous. Not many people will be in the middle I wouldn't think. If that's what you like, and you said you wanted to stand out, then do it! Just isn't fit for my taste. Congrats on getting a new job btw!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Another thing to worry about with side exhaust is scraping on everything. If you are lowered it can suck.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lowering her will happen too, eventually, but what i've read so far about the Roush system is it doesn't hang any lower than stock. Or did you mean the skirts would be lower aka scraping?

When I do lower, it will be 1.5" front 1.25" max rear. I want a little rake, but also not dropped more than 1.5 up front.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

The side skirts themselves are notorious for bottoming out. Its the worst on 94/98 SVO style ones which you won't have but still.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I say go for it I'm a big fan of the roush side skirt/exhaust. And for that price you can't beat it just the exhaust from roush is like $900 alone.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

I plan on doin the roush set up to my 04 Mach 1 plus 2000 Cobra R front bumper. More than likely stock hight though. And you're right the roush exhaust does sit up high like the stock exhaust but you might be able to get an exhaust shop to hang it a little high.
04Mach1Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The side skirts themselves are notorious for bottoming out. Its the worst on 94/98 SVO style ones which you won't have but still.
Was looking closer and closer at this, and I think I see what u mean about those SVO's. I don't see it much (if any) on the 99-04 but pics are a bit difficult to tell, an inch here or there kinda thing. I need to measure and ask roush or mrbodykit if they have an exact spec. I'm currently stock so there's the baseline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Mach1Guy View Post
I say go for it I'm a big fan of the roush side skirt/exhaust. And for that price you can't beat it just the exhaust from roush is like $900 alone.

I plan on doin the roush set up to my 04 Mach 1 plus 2000 Cobra R front bumper. More than likely stock hight though. And you're right the roush exhaust does sit up high like the stock exhaust but you might be able to get an exhaust shop to hang it a little high.
Thanks man. No kiddin w/ that $900! Plus add two skirts at $165 each, the rear valances @ $260, and i still need a front bumper...***** adds up quickly lol. Gimme that bundle!

I couldn't do the R front though, sits way too low for me and tbh i prefer a Saleen if it could flow right with the rest of the body. Would do that 99/01 as a consolation lol
Old 01-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly, IMO the best looking exhaust possible is the IRS exhaust even on a SRA car. I'm going to do the IRS this spring and what I would love to do is get a magnaflow exhaust and polish it up like a mirror. So pretty...

mmmmmmmmm

So purty...

Old 01-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Honestly, IMO the best looking exhaust possible is the IRS exhaust even on a SRA car. I'm going to do the IRS this spring and what I would love to do is get a magnaflow exhaust and polish it up like a mirror. So pretty...

mmmmmmmmm

So purty...
That guys car is absolutely beautiful. He's put a **** ton of work into it
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

^Yeah I've followed that build thread from the start over on the corral. He is anal retentive and that thign is GORGEOUS. I think it only has like 20xxx original miles on it too.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That thing is ridonkulous! Tempting man, real tempting lol. I still have time before this gets done, and dammit I'm in the middle of posting some Q's for the Roush guys on their part of MEVO haha. Who knows what the future brings. I certainly do appreciate your input, that thing is (to steal an expression) like bacon flavored tits
Old 01-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I recently bought a 2001 Roush Stage 3, and it does not have side exhaust... kind of bugs me. The previous owner put Bassani Xpipe out the back, it sounds real nice, and he put stock side panels on it, so there isn't a big hole... I have been tempted to go back to side exhaust...

I love my front bumper though...
MustangDJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDJP View Post
I recently bought a 2001 Roush Stage 3, and it does not have side exhaust... kind of bugs me. The previous owner put Bassani Xpipe out the back, it sounds real nice, and he put stock side panels on it, so there isn't a big hole... I have been tempted to go back to side exhaust...

I love my front bumper though...
Sorry for not getting back to you, started a new job Monday and i have *NO* time now lol

If you revert back to the side exhaust, keep us posted! I'm a couple months away from this for a couple of reasons, but I'd be curious if you do it what your thoughts were.

Soon I'll have an extra Roush bumper, so if yours gets messed up lemme know lol
Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Anyone who has the side exit setup every get fumes inside the car? If so how bad?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

You shouldn't but you can if you run dumps.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well as luck would have it, I saw a Roush Stage 3 on the hwy today coming home from work. So I got to see the overall look and drop of the sides. I must say, daddy likey.

Scotty, they do run a bit lower like you suggested they might, however its not too low imho. Still lots can go wrong (or right), so hopefully get there soon enough.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Dude on the Corral is selling what he claims to be a legit Borla side exhaust for $200+shipping. I requested more pics, looks like it might be legit but dunno. The side skirts are the ABC fiberglass knock offs which I would never run personally but he has a 94-98 and you have a 99-up so it doesn't matter.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4277886877.html
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have a 2001 Roush stage I and the exhaust doesn't get inside at all even when I have the top down (vert). As far as the exhaust sitting from the ground it sits just a bit over 3" from the tips to the grounds. It does scrape on some things but there Extremely thick and I mean thick for exhaust tips. Hope this helps some if you still plan going this route!
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust