1996 gt gets warmer then usual - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
1996 gt gets warmer then usual

Im new to the 96 gt and so far im pretty pleased with this car my only worry is its running alittle hotter then it should, when im at a stoplight or stop sign it will get up to the M and then the fan kicks on and it cools down and its fine while im driving also I noticed that water is being pushed out from the rad cap,got a new rad cap for it but made things worse as in pushing more water out then it should,with the stock rad cap only alittle water comes out

Now my question is what could it be I was thinkn water pump but like I said it runs good and has never over heated on me ive also replaced the thermostat, ive done all the basic checks for signs of bad head gaskets and wrapped heads and everything is fine, one thing ive heared about the 96 gts was a recall on the radiators but im super tight on money so any ideas suggestions would be more then helpful thank you and god bless
96gt420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Why don't you drain the coolant and bleed the cooling system for starters , and get a new T stat

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Water pumps usually don't go bad.. Unless it's cracked around the housing or obviously leaking.
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #3

How do you bleed the system like I said im new to this year and model of stang stupid question I know, I've sprayed the outside of the radiator out with water to free it of dirt and road debris also what are your thoughts on a aftermarket radiator I live in az.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Drain, and fill( coolant )
( when cold )

Start car up, and pour more coolant/water in cap until it fills up, let the car run until Thermostat opens , pour more if needed, and let the bubbles come out of the system, wait until only water comes out and go drive it.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Drain, and fill( coolant )
( when cold )

Start car up, and pour more coolant/water in cap until it fills up, let the car run until Thermostat opens , pour more if needed, and let the bubbles come out of the system, wait until only water comes out and go drive it.
+1
Give the upper radiator hose a few good squeezes along it's entire length to make sure the air is removed from the system.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the info guys now ive got another stupid question lol this car is my toy but dose get driven,first do they do the snif test on the 96's when its time to get it smogged or do they just hook it up to the computer reason im askn is cause I wanna gut the cats or take them out completely and put the shields back on like I said this is my **** around car
Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You can delete your smog pump if you have one , I don't think you do..

And do any exhaust mods you want ,
Depending what state your in
Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #8

I live in arizona
Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Emissions testing can vary greatly depending on where EXACTLY that you live.
For instance, I live in CA, which has some of the toughest regulations in the country, yet, ironically, I'm currently living in a county that doesn't require emissions testing unless the vehicles title changes ownership.

Check your local emissions testing requirements before you make any decisions about removing any emissions equipment...
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Check your radiator hoses not only the top but bottom more important. Look for bloating in the hoses. Also reason i say bottom is i had it happen on mine was the hose would collapse some. A revised hose with a spring in it to stop hose collapsation is what i used. Just my 2ยข. Burping the system is great....just dont forget to run the heater as well to fully circulate the water and get all the air out of the system.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

True I forgot to add when bleeding , turn heater on full blast.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The coolant runs through the heater core constantly. All that you're doing when moving the heater controls is opening and closing the doors in the HVAC "box".
Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to 96NYCGT
This was my 96 GT about a year a go it was my water pump Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388984541.585021.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	143895
96NYCGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT