Cobra vs Mach 1 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Cobra vs Mach 1

Stock for stock I hear mach 1s have the advantage ..

But what do you think about a 99 cobra drivetrain swapped into a 99 GT with
High miles , full exhaust , handheld tune, cold air , 373s , some suspension full interior vs my Mach 1 with just 410s , O/R X pipe , some suspension , 5spd short throw , and some weight reduction
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
That would all come down to driver on that one but the mach with 4 10s will pull outta the hole
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Road Trip!

I think you will win. Those are weenie little gears for a cobra 4v engine.

Sent from my Trio Stealth_10 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
I think you will win. Those are weenie little gears for a cobra 4v engine.

You'll have him for sure. My cobra has 305 wheel horses, cold air intake, exhaust, dyno tune and 4.30 gears. I played around with a Mach 1 with 4.10s and I was about half a car ahead on every pull. So in this case the Mach 1 has a huge advantage!
Redsvtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsvtcobra View Post
You'll have him for sure. My cobra has 305 wheel horses, cold air intake, exhaust, dyno tune and 4.30 gears. I played around with a Mach 1 with 4.10s and I was about half a car ahead on every pull. So in this case the Mach 1 has a huge advantage!

Dang if figure you would have more hp,

The Mach 1 only had 410s ?
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

He had 4.10s, a k&n intake, full off road exhaust, 295 tires (if that matters), short throw shifter, and a tune. And my car was on the dyno in 102 degree heat. I bet it puts down more than that now.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

My car also has 97,000 miles on it. Unfortunately!

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

I ran a 12.7 in the quarter for my fastest time on street tires. Not to shabby. My dad threw away the time slip.. Sadly. He thought it was a gas receipt and threw it out. Lol.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
You only have 305? GT's will make around 300 with full bolt ons and a cam. What I like about 4v is that they like to rev high and you can wind it out. Also that you can throw 4.30 on no problem
Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You only have 305? GT's will make around 300 with full bolt ons and a cam. What I like about 4v is that they like to rev high and you can wind it out. Also that you can throw 4.30 on no problem

It was done on a very hot and humid day. Now it's putting down around 325-330. Pretty good for a cold air intake and exhaust. Soon I'll have long tubes and do an off-road pipe
Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
It was done on a very hot and humid day. Now it's putting down around 325-330. Pretty good for a cold air intake and exhaust. Soon I'll have long tubes and do an off-road pipe
Ah I see. So you only have a cat back right now?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yes sir. The previous owner had to have emissions. But I do not. But I'm waiting till I get long tubes to go cat less
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yes sir. The previous owner had to have emissions. But I do not. But I'm waiting till I get long tubes to go cat less
Oh OK. I live in California so I know how much emission testing can be a PITFA lol. Otherwise exhaust would have been my mod priority lol
Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. California has some ridiculous laws. But yeah. Now I should be putting down 330 horses at least. It was 102 degrees and above 60% humidity. So the guy said if it was colder and not so sticky out I could be putting down a lot more. But with the 4.30 gears I can hang with a stock termi. It's a blast
Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Lol. California has some ridiculous laws. But yeah. Now I should be putting down 330 horses at least. It was 102 degrees and above 60% humidity. So the guy said if it was colder and not so sticky out I could be putting down a lot more. But with the 4.30 gears I can hang with a stock termi. It's a blast
Oh that's right huh you don't have a termi you have a normal cobra. Your numbers make sense now lol sorry. I never understood the hype around the 03/04. Those guys usually upgrade their blowers anyway. So wouldn't it make sense to forge a normal 4v with better internals than stock and get the blower anyway?? And boom better than a term for a whole lot less than 20k +
Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. True true. Yeah I don't have a termi. Couldn't afford that. So I'm putting down 305 to 325 on all motor. It's a blast!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Lol. True true. Yeah I don't have a termi. Couldn't afford that. So I'm putting down 305 to 325 on all motor. It's a blast!
That's awesome I'm jelly!! What year 99 or 01? It looks damn good!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It's a 1999. Not bad for 15 years old! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1389160194.289498.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	144072
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
It's a 1999. Not bad for 15 years old! Attachment 144072
That's awesome dude! There were a couple of recalls on the 99 weren't there? Have you gotten those taken care of?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yes there was. My car was built after all of the recalls. So it never had to be brought back to the factory or anything. The recalls had to be done to the earlier 99 models. Mine is one of the later 99 cobras. So it came off the line perfectly fine!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yes there was. My car was built after all of the recalls. So it never had to be brought back to the factory or anything. The recalls had to be done to the earlier 99 models. Mine is one of the later 99 cobras. So it came off the line perfectly fine!
That's a good find dude. Oh and so this doesnt get TOO off topic, I think mach 1 are a tad faster than 99/01 cobras right? Anybody know what changes were made to make them faster?

Old 01-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I hear the Mach 1 is faster then I hear the cobras are faster. So who knows. Personally stock for stock I think the Mach 1 is (in a straight line) the 99-01 cobra came with a lower gear ratio than the Mach 1s. So less acceleration. And the Mach 1 is lighter because of the solid rear axel. But if the cobra and a Mach 1 both have all the same parts, say the same exact exhaust, intake, gears, and a tune it would be a very very even race. At that point it all comes down to the driver
Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
I hear the Mach 1 is faster then I hear the cobras are faster. So who knows. Personally stock for stock I think the Mach 1 is (in a straight line) the 99-01 cobra came with a lower gear ratio than the Mach 1s. So less acceleration. And the Mach 1 is lighter because of the solid rear axel. But if the cobra and a Mach 1 both have all the same parts, say the same exact exhaust, intake, gears, and a tune it would be a very very even race. At that point it all comes down to the driver
Would it be possible to put mach 1/termi cams in an sn95 cobra?

Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I Am honestly not to sure on that one!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Engine is the exact same except for the revised C heads on the Mach. In 03/04 the C heads got some short turn radius work and a few other improvements to make them flow better. In all honesty the difference is blown WAY out of proportion to the tune of ppl paying $600 for a set of good revised heads and $200 for a set of C heads out of a Continental which are the same as the 99/01 Cobra heads. For bolt on cars... Mach vs NA Cobra is a driver's race depending on what was done. IRS can be a liability with the stock compliant rubber bushings though. Once you get a good set of Delrin/Aluminum stuff installed in there like the FTBR kit it is pretty damn stout.

Quote:
Other way around dude. The 96-98 Cobra intake cams were more agressive than any other 4V cam and are a direct swap into any other 4V. 99/01 and Termi owners who don't want to spend $1200 on aftermarket cams commonly swap in the 96-98 intake cams for a bit of a power bump. Its not huge but its enough to justify the swap.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Quote:
It's a 1999. Not bad for 15 years old! Attachment 144072
Very sexy btw. IMHO the 99/01 Cobras are the best bang for the buck new edges out there unless you don't want the IRS, then get a Mach. I'd personally love to get ahold of a late run 2001 Cobra for cheap but I like my 98 too much and I don't feel bad about driving a non-numbered car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Engine is the exact same except for the revised C heads on the Mach. In 03/04 the C heads got some short turn radius work and a few other improvements to make them flow better. In all honesty the difference is blown WAY out of proportion to the tune of ppl paying $600 for a set of good revised heads and $200 for a set of C heads out of a Continental which are the same as the 99/01 Cobra heads. For bolt on cars... Mach vs NA Cobra is a driver's race depending on what was done. IRS can be a liability with the stock compliant rubber bushings though. Once you get a good set of Delrin/Aluminum stuff installed in there like the FTBR kit it is pretty damn stout.

Other way around dude. The 96-98 Cobra intake cams were more agressive than any other 4V cam and are a direct swap into any other 4V. 99/01 and Termi owners who don't want to spend $1200 on aftermarket cams commonly swap in the 96-98 intake cams for a bit of a power bump. Its not huge but its enough to justify the swap.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Very sexy btw. IMHO the 99/01 Cobras are the best bang for the buck new edges out there unless you don't want the IRS, then get a Mach. I'd personally love to get ahold of a late run 2001 Cobra for cheap but I like my 98 too much and I don't feel bad about driving a non-numbered car.
Thanks for the info Scotty. You seem pretty knowledgeable
Old 01-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

True true. Yeah when it all comes down to it it's almost the same car except minor body changes and the suspension. I have upgraded suspension on mine. Better bushings and all. It runs strong! But in the end it's a drivers thing. I ran that Mach 1 with a couple more "upgrades" than my car and I still had him. But not by much! He Also red lighted so it made it even better when I passed the line first. He kept talking trash and blah blah. I don't like people like that. So for fun I said ok lets run. And then that was the turn out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT