Front Lower Control Arm or Ball Joint Replacment? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Front Lower Control Arm or Ball Joint Replacment?

My ball joints are completely worn out and called a shop this morning for an estimate to replace ball joints and he recommended I replace the whole LCA that has the ball joints in place. I was having trouble finding some online. Mostly just finding rear control arms. Any ideas what route to take?
EthanGT03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Ford will have them ,
They just recommend that so they make more money off you, while making it easier on them,

Ball joints suck taking out sometimes
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Ford will have them ,
They just recommend that so they make more money off you, while making it easier on them,

Ball joints suck taking out sometimes
Isn't the installation time about the same? I've heard they are a bi*ch but just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What's the labor time they quoted you?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I got my new Motorcraft A-arms from Rockauto.com. They came with the ball joints and bushings already installed.
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Buy Steeda X2 balljoints. They are better, can lower your car a half inch in the front just by removing the spacer that comes with them and they are just plain better. Now it would be better to replace your A arms with 03 Cobra style A arms if you were going to replace them with anything which is not worth the cost.

What I would do if I were you is remove your stock A arms, take them to have the X2 balljoints pressed in and the replace the stock shot rubber bushings with a good set from MM and re-install. Then go get an alignment.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Buy Steeda X2 balljoints. They are better, can lower your car a half inch in the front just by removing the spacer that comes with them and they are just plain better. Now it would be better to replace your A arms with 03 Cobra style A arms if you were going to replace them with anything which is not worth the cost.

What I would do if I were you is remove your stock A arms, take them to have the X2 balljoints pressed in and the replace the stock shot rubber bushings with a good set from MM and re-install. Then go get an alignment.
If I had to do it again, I would have used the X2 balljoints... And I still might!
I think it will give my Bullitt a nice stance with the stock springs.

What is the difference between the 03 Cobra A arms and the ones on my car Scotty?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

The 03 Cobra A arms give you a 10% tighter turning radius. They are discontinued and honestly not worth it over new bushings/balljoints. I sold a set of brand new OEM 03 A arms I was going to put on my 95 in late 2011 for triple what I paid for them new in the mid 2000s.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Damn my uncles stock K member and a arms were sitting for a while in the backyard lol I never knew that,
Old 01-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Damn my uncles stock K member and a arms were sitting for a while in the backyard lol I never knew that,
Rebuild them and put them on the Mach. Sounds like you'll be able to hang that baby out 10% further during the parking lot drift events...
Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
If they are still there go grab them, clean them up and put them on the corral classifieds. Even in rough shape they'd go for $100 for someone looking to stick with stock stamped arms and get the best ones. Or put them on the Mach...

But if you are anything like me they got scrapped because that is my luck lol.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

He sold the left one to his friend who messed his up, if I would of known I would of took them along time ago
Old 01-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What's the labor time they quoted you?
3 hours for the ball joints. I have access to alldata and both ball joints are 3.1 hours and the LCAs are 3.8 hours for both. I just don't know if you might as well dish out the extra to replace the whole thing
Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanGT03 View Post
3 hours for the ball joints. I have access to alldata and both ball joints are 3.1 hours and the LCAs are 3.8 hours for both. I just don't know if you might as well dish out the extra to replace the whole thing
I replaced EVERYTHING in my front end all at once, mainly, because I didn't want to be replacing parts one-by-one for the next several years.
In your case, my fear would be that what ever roads that car has traveled, thus far, that were bad enough to wear out the ball joints, probably have done a number on the A-arm bushings as well.
I think that your mechanic is giving you good advice. It will cost a little more right now but if something goes wrong with the bushings down the road a ways, it will save doing this job over again and a LOT of grief.
You'll probably be much happier with the job also.
And, I think that you'll find that it is cheaper to buy the complete A-arm assembly rather than buying the bushings and balljoints and then taking all of the parts to a machine shop to press out your old bushings and press in the new ones.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanGT03 View Post
Good info, i need to replace my ball joints also.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eff that pull the A arms yourself, replace the bushings yourself and then just take them to have the balljoints pressed in. Will take the dude doing it 10 minutes.

As for the LCAs, better to replace them with a good tubular/boxed set like Steeda or MM. UCAs you should at least inspect. I would pull them and put fresh stock rubber bushings in and re-install the stock stamped ones to prevent suspension bind that aftermarket UCAs can induce.

Now I realize that not everyone has the tools/space/knowledge to do this but if you have a buddy or family memeber with tools there are a TON of step by step how-tos on the interwebs with pics and everything. At the very least I would not let a tech replace the parts with stock stuff. Bring the dude a Max Motorsports poly bushing kit for the front and a set of X2 balljoints and have him install aftermarket LCAs out back vs replacing it all with the stock stuff.

Also, if you are stock ride height or just want to go a little lower, have him leave out the spacers that come with the X2 balljoints and you'll get a 1/2" drop for free. He'll be doing an alignment anyway regardless so its the perfect time to do it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT