98 gt shifting issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
98 gt shifting issues

I was Mustangless for over a year but just bought a 98 GT 5 speed. So here's the issue..... I have to literally fight the shifter to get it into any gear. Almost always grinds when putting it into first and reverse. And when i am coming to a stop, i can kinda feel like some grinding or somethin goin on. And with my foot on the clutch pedal, theres noise and alot of vibration when im not in gear. And also when im at cruising speeds (30-40 mph), i hear some high pitched noise but it goes away if i lightly press on the clutch pedal. As far as the clutch pedal adjustment.... I can do it everytime i get it my car but nothing changes, my clutch pedal has alot of free play. Thank you for any input
Cstyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Grab your clutch pedal and yank UP HARD. You should hear a loud zzzzzzzppp sound which is the pawl on the stock quadrant taking up slack in the cable.

Now if whoever had the car before you put an aftermarket quadrant in they SHOULD have put in a firewall adjuster too in which case you can take up slack at the firewall.

Another issue could be that the PO put in a non-OEM cable which is a big nono with any of these cars but I would start with taking up the slack in the cable first. You really should have very very little freeplay at all in the pedal and should not be driving it like that or risk damaging the trans if it isn't already.

If none of that works well... welcome to the wonderful world of the t45. They were built pretty crappily prior to 1999 and not much better for the 99-01 run. I want to light mine on fire and its either coming out for a rebuild in a few months or getting replaced with a rebuilt 3650.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I did the yank adjustment on my clutch pedal and it just slips in to the previous position. I noticed the teeth might be stripped. Would that actually make my shifting difficult and grind all the time? And can someone tell me just by looking at this pic if theres enuff tranny fluid? I dont want to go under the car. Its a little difficult where my car is parked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1390077487496.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	145027  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol no the only way to make sure its actually full is to pull the fill plug underneath and add fluid until it overflows.

As for your quadrant, someone might have installed an aftermarket quadrant at some point. Is there a cable adjuster by the firewall? And yes not having your clutch properly adjusted will mess up your shifts and cause all kinds of issues. I personally would not drive the car with a cable that badly out of adjustment.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea its parked until i am able to fix it. I dont really know how to do it myself. But im gonna try
Old 01-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Have y'all figured out what was going on i have a whining noise in first but literally slides into gear
TylerJanocha21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So does everyone agree that my clutch cable needs to be replaced?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I put in a new clutch cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant. My first time doin this project so i was kinda nervous when i took it for a test drive. Even had my step-son with me for the excitement... It shifts so smooth like butter now. BUT when i have my foot off of the clutch pedal there is some noise... Kinda sounds like somethin is hitting the tranny dust shield. But i looked in there and nothing seems out of the ordinary. The noise goes away when i put light pressure on the clutch pedal
Old 03-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstyle1 View Post
I put in a new clutch cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant. My first time doin this project so i was kinda nervous when i took it for a test drive. Even had my step-son with me for the excitement... It shifts so smooth like butter now. BUT when i have my foot off of the clutch pedal there is some noise... Kinda sounds like somethin is hitting the tranny dust shield. But i looked in there and nothing seems out of the ordinary. The noise goes away when i put light pressure on the clutch pedal

Mine does the same thing but only every now and then
TylerJanocha21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

If its like a ticking or squeaking noise that's the throwout bearing and they make noise when they start to wear out.

Also you could have too much preload on it. If you set the preload like I mentioned in an above post then that could help but if its on the way out its on the way out...

Old 03-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

How do i set the preload?
Old 03-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I am not sure how to set the pre load. Can someone please explain?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

You pull the dust cover on the clutch fork with the car on ramps, start it up and put it in neutral. With the brake set and the wheels chocked, someone crawls under the car while it is running in neutral and watches while someone else tightens up the firewall adjuster. When the TOB just starts to spin you go one click tighter and your preload should be set. Preload is a light tension on the clutch cable so the TOB is constantly spinning as it is designed to. Too much preload can cause you to have squeaking like you describe. No preload means your TOB is going from 0 to potentially 6,000 RPM in an eyeblink which is REALLY bad for it, for your clutch fingers and you'll get a burnt clutch smell everytime you drive with no preload.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT