BBK 70mm TB sticky? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
BBK 70mm TB sticky?

I just installed my 70mm BBK throttle body and I notice a slight stick when I'm about to accelerate when the pedal is fully released. I've read something about adjusting that screw, but that doesn't make sense, since the throttle doesn't touch that bolt (I did adjust it to the .010" gap, like instructed.) The guy at AmericanMuscle wants me to replace it, but I don't think it's really a problem with the TB, it could just need some lube. Can I spray some WD-40 (or grease) on the throttle bracket? Could it be something to do with my pedal linkage?
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-08 16.11.32.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	144117
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Welcome to the wonderful world of BBK products. They are notorious for having TB issues and you couldn't pay me to put one on my car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Never had a problem with my professional products TB on my GT

You could try to double check yourself. Maybe it's caught on something
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

I would get a Dragon or an Accufab or leave the OEM one on there if you don't already have an aftermarket one.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think there's anything wrong with the TB itself, it could just be me not used to the firmness, but it wouldn't hurt to put some WD-40 (or would grease be better) on the part that rotates would it? It's just a ever-so-slight little extra push to ease on the pedal (and it could've been there before and I didn't notice because of how soft the pedal was before).
Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I got my pp TB and plenum for 100 on Craig's , couldn't pass it up

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Use lithium grease spray, wd40 won't hurt anything ,
Old 01-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Same with me I got my trick flow 70mm TB and plenum brand new in the box never opened from a buddy for dirt cheap
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

To the OP, I second lithium greese spray. It may not fix your issue, but that's what I would try first.

Also, I would get a matching plenum.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Alright guys, it's fixed. I was too exact with the measurements and the screw is actually supposed to be in contact with the throttle. There was a slight vacuum build up and that's why it was sticking.
I don't know why, Scotty you hate BBK. There's really not much to mess up on the intake-system, besides the plenum you basically just pay for the name.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04beautyGT View Post
Alright guys, it's fixed. I was too exact with the measurements and the screw is actually supposed to be in contact with the throttle. There was a slight vacuum build up and that's why it was sticking.
I don't know why, Scotty you hate BBK. There's really not much to mess up on the intake-system, besides the plenum you basically just pay for the name.
I have had 1 bbk product I ever liked and those were the aluminum underdrive pullies I had on my 95. The CAI I had from them rusted, I had to RTV around the flange where it met the MAF because it was warped and the piping was way too small. The headers I ran on my 91 turned blue right away and started rusting within 6 months, and the throttle body I had from them caused idling problems which is a very common thing with BBK apparently and that was when I stopped buying BBK.

BBK is basically a step up from Professional Products and UPR which isn't exactly saying much. They're pretty much on par with MAC. Just remember that you get what you pay for. The Dragon and Accufab throttle bodies are much MUCH nicer but you will pay more. If this BBK TB is working fine for you, consider yourself fortunate, you saved some money and more power to you. Just roll with it until you need something better.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I have had 1 bbk product I ever liked and those were the aluminum underdrive pullies I had on my 95. The CAI I had from them rusted, I had to RTV around the flange where it met the MAF because it was warped and the piping was way too small. The headers I ran on my 91 turned blue right away and started rusting within 6 months, and the throttle body I had from them caused idling problems which is a very common thing with BBK apparently and that was when I stopped buying BBK.

BBK is basically a step up from Professional Products and UPR which isn't exactly saying much. They're pretty much on par with MAC. Just remember that you get what you pay for. The Dragon and Accufab throttle bodies are much MUCH nicer but you will pay more. If this BBK TB is working fine for you, consider yourself fortunate, you saved some money and more power to you. Just roll with it until you need something better.
Accufab FTW!! Its nice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1389332673156.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	144225  
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
BBK is junk
03fastblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Not everyone has deep pockets guys
Old 01-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Understood but many times those withtout "deep pockets" wind up paying more having to go through a few lower cost products/dealing with return shipping on junk products and then finally getting a good one. Like ppl who are buying those SR CC plates and then having to return them and try again and then finally just buy the MM ones that do not suck for $50 or $60 more.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Understood but many times those withtout "deep pockets" wind up paying more having to go through a few lower cost products/dealing with return shipping on junk products and then finally getting a good one. Like ppl who are buying those SR CC plates and then having to return them and try again and then finally just buy the MM ones that do not suck for $50 or $60 more.
Yup.

If you're not saving money you are sure as hell saving time time/possible shipping costs/headaches.

Even if you can't afford top of the line at least hold out for the best one you can. Don't settle for less, especially when its something you have to rely on everyday.
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
Yup.

If you're not saving money you are sure as hell saving time time/possible shipping costs/headaches.

Even if you can't afford top of the line at least hold out for the best one you can. Don't settle for less, especially when its something you have to rely on everyday.
I feel like a broken record with this mantra. And when it becomes a **** suspension component like a Granatelli piece (example) that puts ME and my family at risk when some dumbass is running crap suspension products that break and cause a wreck. In this case it is no big deal though.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04beautyGT View Post
The TB stop screw adjustment procedure is to set the clearance between the screw and the bell crank to 0.010", and then turn the screw in one full turn which closes the 0.010" gap and forces the throttle plate open a small amount to allow a preset air bleed through the TB.

Here is the full procedure...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

cliffyk, that's what I did, but I still had a small gap; I just wish they would have clarified that it is supposed to push on the bracket. Maybe my feeler gauge was warped or something, I guess that's what I get for trying to get everything exactly perfect

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT