Questions on lowering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Questions on lowering

When I lowered my 91 stealth TT I did springs, control rods, struts, caster camber plates, and all the rest because that was needed for a greater then 1.5" drop. Last month I purchased a 97 GT from a child and after going through the car I need to replace springs. My question is can the mustang chassis get away with springs and struts/shocks for a 1.5 to 2 inch drop or do I have to do a complete custom suspension as I did on my stealth. Mostly I'm worried about geometry right now, I will build a custom suspension in the next 6 months or so, but my wife drives this as a daily driver and she does NOT have critical driving skills.

Thx in advanced, Joe

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You will probably need the CC plates or you may get away with just doing camber bolts.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You will probably need the CC plates or you may get away with just doing camber bolts.
OK, thanks for the info. I figured I would probably need CC plates was just hoping the geometry wouldn't change enough to warrant spending the extra cash this week. Anybody have any experience with eBay CC plates? Like these ?

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My last GT was lowered 3-3.5" in the front and it rode fine,

I'm lowered 2" right now and no issues ,
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
My last GT was lowered 3-3.5" in the front and it rode fine,

I'm lowered 2" right now and no issues ,
Do you know where your camber is set at with your car lowered Slow?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
If you lower it 2" I would look into Shocks/Struts, CC played, bumpsteer kit and some Steeda X2 ball joints. Those should get your control arm angle back into spec along with your tie rods.

That being said I'm lowered 2.5" without any of that other than shocks/struts (planning on getting them though) and the only issue I have is some slight bumpsteer and I'm sitting at -2.3° of camber
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thx for the info guys. I was figuring I would have to do CC plates at least, was just hoping the chassis was more forgiving and I could skip it for now until taxes. Has anyone had experience with the eBay caster camber plate kits like these?

Old 01-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thx Mile High JDF for the info. Bumpsteer should be fine for her to handle, heck as of right now she's driving with 3 different springs on the car. Ride height on 3 corners different and different number of coils in all the springs . I'm going to do CC plates right now, I think I'll have to do the rest at tax time. It should drive way better with just that done now lol.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thx for the info Stray and Slow, I was hoping to avoid killing this paycheck, but it's worth it. In the interest of saving money for new tires all the way around, has anyone had experience with the eBay caster camber plates like these ?

Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
Thx Mile High JDF for the info. Bumpsteer should be fine for her to handle, heck as of right now she's driving with 3 different springs on the car. Ride height on 3 corners different and different number of coils in all the springs . I'm going to do CC plates right now, I think I'll have to do the rest at tax time. It should drive way better with just that done now lol.

Yeah no problem, I don't even notice any sort of bumpsteer unless I put the tires in a groove (I've got a total +.14° of front toe for better turn in) you might not even have to do the bumpsteer kit if the X2 ball joints get your control arm back into a good position
Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone have any experience with the eBay caster and camber plates like these? http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=370905966404. I'll get good ones like BBK if I have to, but a penny saved is a new set of tires.. Lol

Old 01-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
I agree you're definitely going to need CC plates with a 79-04 Mustang dropped 1.5" or more. These car's factory strut mounts don't take well to being lowered and even camber bolts don't seem to perform to optimum specs (unlike S197 Mustangs).

When I lowered my '95 GT, I never got around to the bump-steer kit either. It honestly wasn't bad at all, however it was only dropped 1.25" all the way around. That being said, I'm sure it would have been even more enjoyable on the street with the bump-steer kit.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any other suspension questions for your Mustang. I'd be happy to help you out and point you in the right direction!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
I agree you're definitely going to need CC plates with a 79-04 Mustang dropped 1.5" or more. These car's factory strut mounts don't take well to being lowered and even camber bolts don't seem to perform to optimum specs (unlike S197 Mustangs).

When I lowered my '95 GT, I never got around to the bump-steer kit either. It honestly wasn't bad at all, however it was only dropped 1.25" all the way around. That being said, I'm sure it would have been even more enjoyable on the street with the bump-steer kit.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any other suspension questions for your Mustang. I'd be happy to help you out and point you in the right direction!

Shane
Thx for the info. I gotta tell ya loving this forum! normally I ask a question at other forums and it takes days, this is odd for me lol. I'm definitely going to do springs and CC plates. I plan on getting struts and shocks in the next month so those are taken care of. That being said though, cash is really tight right for the next 2 months so I have to find cheap where cheap can be found. I'm figuring SR springs, CC plates i'm not sure of cause I need headlight casings (pair) and bulbs as well. so I found these off eBay anyone have any experience with them or do they even look usable? Also, are the eBay polyurethane bushing kits good? i mean isnt poly just poly?

Thx for all the help everyone.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No I do not
When I get my CC plates and align the car myself at the shop I'll post the print out
Old 01-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No I do not
When I get my CC plates and align the car myself at the shop I'll post the print out
Old 01-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Thx for the info. I gotta tell ya loving this forum! normally I ask a question at other forums and it takes days, this is odd for me lol. I'm definitely going to do springs and CC plates. I plan on getting struts and shocks in the next month so those are taken care of. That being said though, cash is really tight right for the next 2 months so I have to find cheap where cheap can be found. I'm figuring SR springs, CC plates i'm not sure of cause I need headlight casings (pair) and bulbs as well. so I found these off eBay anyone have any experience with them or do they even look usable? Also, are the eBay polyurethane bushing kits good? i mean isnt poly just poly?

Thx for all the help everyone.

Haha no problem. I forgot to say welcome too!

I can't say I have any experience with the CC plates you posted, or the Ebay poly bushings. I'm always wherry of purchasing budget parts off of Ebay like this personally.

I would stick with the SR lowering springs and CC plates. It's safe bet for an affordable part. Plus, we always stand behind the parts we sell if you ever have problems!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.... Sorry guys for the multiple posts there, I guess they needed moderator approval and tapatalk didn't tell me so I kept reposting thinking it was server error

Old 01-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Haha no problem. I forgot to say welcome too!

I can't say I have any experience with the CC plates you posted, or the Ebay poly bushings. I'm always wherry of purchasing budget parts off of Ebay like this personally.

I would stick with the SR lowering springs and CC plates. It's safe bet for an affordable part. Plus, we always stand behind the parts we sell if you ever have problems!

Shane
Yup, I ordered the SR springs today and they already shipped... Awesome! I didn't order plates yet, I took a look at my control arms upper and lower on the rear and actually have a bushing missing so I'm going to have to do bushing like now. So I guess you guys will have another order from me next week. I'm looking at prothane bushings on ebay so I might jump on those as your out of stock right now.

Thx for all the help!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #19
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Yup, I ordered the SR springs today and they already shipped... Awesome! I didn't order plates yet, I took a look at my control arms upper and lower on the rear and actually have a bushing missing so I'm going to have to do bushing like now. So I guess you guys will have another order from me next week. I'm looking at prothane bushings on ebay so I might jump on those as your out of stock right now.

Thx for all the help!
Good stuff! You're really going to like the SR springs. They have a really comfortable ride for a lowering spring. Tons of other forum members use them too.

I know you have to take care of the rear control arm bushings soon. If for whatever reason you don't get around to it right away, we will have our bushings back in stock at the end of the month. Although, I wouldn't keep driving the car if you're missing a control arm busing!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
No I do not
I was just curious where you guys camber ended up after lowering. I presume that yours is about where JDF's camber is.
That's probably a pretty good setup for the track.
A couple of the guys in my class at the autocross jack their cars up and push the struts all the way over to the inside to max out their negative camber.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was just curious where you guys camber ended up after lowering. I presume that yours is about where JDF's camber is.
That's probably a pretty good setup for the track.
A couple of the guys in my class at the autocross jack their cars up and push the struts all the way over to the inside to max out their negative camber.
Actually being this low without having anything to correct my geometry is negatively affecting the camber benefits I'm getting from being this low. My control arm angle is pretty damn bad and I've been too lazy to try and correct it
Old 01-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Actually being this low without having anything to correct my geometry is negatively affecting the camber benefits I'm getting from being this low. My control arm angle is pretty damn bad and I've been too lazy to try and correct it
Haha.
The price you pay for vanity...

The cars that I mentioned, that are doing that little trick, neither of them are lowered as much as you guys. One of them has the same springs as are on my Bullitt and the other is less than 1.5 inches.
The interesting thing is, neither of these cars have ever been on an alignment rack with the front end set up like that. They don't know what the camber setting actually is.
The car with the Ford racing springs is usually one of the fastest New Edges in the class. The other car, which is lower, is usually one of the slowest cars in the class, and it looks like it has a LOT of camber.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha.
The price you pay for vanity...

The cars that I mentioned, that are doing that little trick, neither of them are lowered as much as you guys. One of them has the same springs as are on my Bullitt and the other is less than 1.5 inches.
The interesting thing is, neither of these cars have ever been on an alignment rack with the front end set up like that. They don't know what the camber setting actually is.
The car with the Ford racing springs is usually one of the fastest New Edges in the class. The other car, which is lower, is usually one of the slowest cars in the class, and it looks like it has a LOT of camber.
Haha yeah it is. My car has very little body roll, which is nice. I think that other guy needs a driver mod
Old 01-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

springs in

Springs are in (Really miss my air compressor!) rides good, handles better, and looks way better now that all 4 corners are the same height! Thanks for all the help guys, now onto the rest of the suspension.....

Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Nice!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT