ABS question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

ABS question

Ok, so I got my springs in, and in the process of installing them I cleaned off the speed sensors for the ABS system. Either it's coincidence or I goofed something cleaning the sensor but now the anti-lock light is staying on.

After some research I found that I could "pull" DTC's from the ABS system by shorting out the orange/white wire with the ignition off and then turn the ignition on and count the codes out. I "pulled" a 31 which is "right front ABS sensor continuity fault", so in order to double check to make sure that is indeed what the problem was I dismantled . Jacked up the right front, removed the wheel, removed the inner fender well, unplugged the sensor and tested for resistance I pulled a 1.6 K resistance. Here's my question, and my problem. I can find the resistance (1.2 - 2.0) for 1998 and up, but I have a 1997 So I'm not sure what resistances I should be looking for. Anyone know by chance?
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
A continuity fault would lead to either too high of a resistance or too low. The ABS system theoretically should be the same for all the SN-95S (New Edge included). Can you clear the code and see if it comes back? If it comes back then either the sensor broke or a wire got torn in the process
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
A continuity fault would lead to either too high of a resistance or too low. The ABS system theoretically should be the same for all the SN-95S (New Edge included). Can you clear the code and see if it comes back? If it comes back then either the sensor broke or a wire got torn in the process
just removed that battery leads to see if sitting overnight will clear them. I checked the wires and they are all fine. if the codes still there tomorrow I'll look for a pinout of the ABS wiring to test the continuity of the wires from the module to the sensors I guess. I just hate throwing parts at a car.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

ok, so I went out today and tested everything I could think of. Pulled both front tires off and fender wells.

Tested the drivers side (sensor/wires/module)
  • Sensor Resistance: 1.646 K
  • Wire Continuity (Plug to sensor): Good
  • Wire Resistance (Plug to sensor): .001 K
  • Wire Continuity (Plug to module): Good
  • Wire Resistance (Plug to module): .001 K
  • Voltage at Module (see image): 4.72 V

Tested the passengers side (sensor/wires/module)
  • Sensor Resistance: 1.642 K
  • Wire Continuity (Plug to sensor): Good
  • Wire Resistance (Plug to sensor): .001 K
  • Wire Continuity (Plug to module): Good
  • Wire Resistance (Plug to module): .001 K
  • Voltage at Module (see image): 4.73 V

I didn't get a chance to test voltage though the wires to the sensor as it started raining. I'm at a loss. I'm pulling a DTC 31, I've checked it and that sensor seems fine. Unless it's an intermittent issue I'm thinking it might be the module it's self. I suppose I'll start throwing parts at it starting with a sensor because I can't find any specs for these sensors or the module so I have no idea what my findings are. I can say that the right and left sensors up front are reading basically the same so since one is good the other should be as well. Unless 1.646 is the lowend range lol.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them cause I hate throwing money away, and I dont have much to throw to start with.

Thx, Joe

Forgot the Image! LOL

Old 01-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
This is the first thread regarding ABS, since Ive been on here, that I can recall, where it actually seems that someone is truly interested in fixing the ABS, AND, seems capable of doing so.

It's all you ChicagoJoe. You're going to have to be the one to show us how it's done...

Mine doesn't work either, most of the time anyways. I suspect that its a wheel sensor on my car because the ABS light will turn off imediately after washing the car, then come back on after a while.
I've had no interest in fixing it...

It will be interesting to find out what is causing the problem with your car.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
ChicagoJoe i have the same the problem as you, my ABS comes on only when its hot out side, for example now that its winter the ABS hasnt came on at all but once it starts warming up it will come on again. I took it to O'Reilly and was told the ABS module was bad as it was connecting to there scanner, so i will replace when i get the money as its about 2k to replace.
tinezz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinezz82 View Post
ChicagoJoe i have the same the problem as you, my ABS comes on only when its hot out side, for example now that its winter the ABS hasnt came on at all but once it starts warming up it will come on again. I took it to O'Reilly and was told the ABS module was bad as it was connecting to there scanner, so i will replace when i get the money as its about 2k to replace.
I found another discussion on another mustang forum and a person used this guy on eBay that rebuilds the module. He had good results. If links to other stang forums are allowed let me know and I'll post a link.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
I found another discussion on another mustang forum and a person used this guy on eBay that rebuilds the module. He had good results. If links to other stang forums are allowed let me know and I'll post a link.

I post links to other forums all the time and haven't gotten in trouble yet.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

OK then lol, here ya go. Seems like he had a good exchange going by the end of his post.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm having the same problem. I installed springs last week and yesterday my Yellow ABS light is on, so I pulled the code and I got C1145 which is "Right front wheel speed sensor input circuit failure" I haven't had time to test the sensor side resistance to check if it's in spec but I'm going to do so soon. One thing also I need to check is the air gap between the sensor and the ABS ring on the hub, might be too big
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT