SHIFT KIT OR TUNE? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
SHIFT KIT OR TUNE?

is it pointless to get a shift kit installed if I was planning to get a bama tuner anyways? Tranny is auto
KraftDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftDinner View Post
is it pointless to get a shift kit installed if I was planning to get a bama tuner anyways? Tranny is auto
I had a canned tune, which helped with some shift points and then I put my shift kit in and it was a holy ***** diff!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
What year car? Need more info. If its a 2011+ the tune will take care of it, if its a 2004-down just do the j-mod for under $100 and much better results than a shift kit. If its a 05-10 I'm not sure but I know the 5R555 or whatever they are called have issues with some materials breaking down in the trans and floating all through there requiring a rebuild in many cases.

I mean I would get the tune regardless but with an older car you need to modify the valve body too.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Its a 2000 . Was going to just put a shift kit in since its only about 80 dollars.
I know about j mod and I have re searched it but its winter here and I moved into a condo so I don't have a garage currently to be doing this work myself. I would have to take it to the trany shop to have the work done. Will they know what I mean by J mod or will they advise against that? also how much do you figure I would be looking at?.. I know I could save money and just go to a friends place but money really isn't the issue.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

I would recommend the J-mod over a shift kit. It not only improves your shifts but it also improves the life of the transmission as well. A shop is not going to do it unless they have a Mustang guy there who knows what you are talking about and even then... They will likely try to sell you whatever shift kit they are hocking at that given time.

I would for sure go over your friend's house and do it there in an afternoon. Not like its too hard to drop the pan, pull the VB, drill a few holes and remove a few springs.

And even if it isn't about the money, its about Transgo selling a **** product.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I say 410s and a short shifter

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Nvm it's auto lol

Just 410s
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
I say 410s and a short shifter

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Nvm it's auto lol

Just 410s
Eff that 4.30s or 4.56s and the J-mod with a good aftermarket stall converter will have that thing coming out of the hole like a ROCKET. Although he will be turning like 2800RPM at 70...

Old 01-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Thanks for the reply... does any one second his theory on the shift kits being junk?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
Road Trip!

I have 4.10 gears yet to be installed though!
was thinking to do the shift kit and then get my tuner but scotty has me second guessing that now
Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you have the 4.10s run the 4.10s, I was kind of joking and kind of not. I mean the 4.30s will have you flying out of the hole but if you are doing a lot of crusing at over 60mph I would probably not get them. The j-mod though, I would definitely go that route. Cheap, extra lubrication to the trans, and its not some hack mod either. Some ppl think it is but its actually called the "J-Mod" or "Jerry's Mod" after its designer Jerry Wroblewski who was one of the head developers of the 4R70 series transmissions for Ford.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I don't think it's pointless, it really depends on what your plans are for the car. Either way, I would install the 4.10 gears ASAP! That's the most beneficial mod you can do to a New Edge Mustang in my opinion.

If you have plans to just rip the car around down and would like some stiffer shifts, I would go with the Bama tuner and safe the money on the Shift kit. However, if you have plans to take the car to the track often, a shift kit may not be a bad idea. A Shift Kit is definitely a great mod for your Mustang. I honestly don't think you can go wrong. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

I hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
A Shift Kit is definitely a great mod for your Mustang. I honestly don't think you can go wrong. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

I hope this helps!

-Dan

I plan to build the car from the ground up! I am currently saving for a
Stage 2 procharger and would like the rest of the car to be ready for when I have the money together... Gears I agree are a must and I figured I should do something with the trany if its a J Mod or Shift Kit or getting a tune. Would you advise getting a shift kit over doing the J mod and why?...
Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

A tune in the 96-04 cars will firm up the shifts some but the fluid passages in the valve body are physically too small to get them to where you need them to be and there is nothing a tune can do about that along with the springs keeping the shifts soft until they are removed. Not like the 11-up cars that a tune just makes them shift omfg great.

With that said a tune is very beneficial to the 2V itself and to change the actual shift points.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I plan to build the car from the ground up! I am currently saving for a
Stage 2 procharger and would like the rest of the car to be ready for when I have the money together... Gears I agree are a must and I figured I should do something with the trany if its a J Mod or Shift Kit or getting a tune. Would you advise getting a shift kit over doing the J mod and why?...
AM is going to recommend a shift kit just because they sell them and these guys are paid to surf around forums and promote products. I mean nothing wrong with that and AM is a good site to buy from but the J-mod will work just as well for firming shifts and has the additional benefit of increasing longevity which the "kits" do not.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's been my experience that putting a "shift kit" in a electronic shifting transmission is a complete waste of money.
Ive never had one of these transmissions but I've had more E4ODs than I care to remember. Stock, shift kits, and a version (I suppose) of the J-mod.
I couldn't even tell the shift kits were there but the valve body mod IS noticeable.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
Road Trip!

I wanna do a jmod on mine. It's basically removing a couple of springs, and opening open up some already existing holes in the valve body cover plate

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It's been my experience that putting a "shift kit" in a electronic shifting transmission is a complete waste of money.
Ive never had one of these transmissions but I've had more E4ODs than I care to remember. Stock, shift kits, and a version (I suppose) of the J-mod.
I couldn't even tell the shift kits were there but the valve body mod IS noticeable.
Its a completely different animal and the difference is massive.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I helped a buddy to the j mod on his p-71. Thats the best experience I've ever had in a police car.......

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT