IS $670 WORTH IT FOR... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
IS $670 WORTH IT FOR...

A polyurethane Cobra front bumper in primer.
and a Fiberglass cobra hood
200 for bumper
350 for hood
x2 $70 for install
so 670 for the new hood and bumper installed.
Is that a good price?.. I know I could install myself and save money but I only have the mustang hah and I don't think either will fit in my trunk so.... should I do it?
KraftDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

$70 for a hood install? I'd recommend you do that yourself.
The bumper install is on point though.
M_Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Road Trip!

in the parking lot by myself? haha I basically need at least a second set of hands so I may have to just pay unfortunately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Hood and bumper are one of the easiest things to do
But hey I'd take your money too if you asked me lol
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Road Trip!

well I cant do them by myself . maybe but would be a pain in the ***... did you have someone helping you hold them?... This shop is about a 4 hour drive from my place so I would most likely be going alone and since I only have the car and not a truck would be un realistic to say I can just go pick them up lol.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Bumper is only held on by 4 nuts and 2 clips , hood is just 4 nuts
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Bumper is only held on by 4 nuts and 2 clips , hood is just 4 nuts
I know how to take them off. Im just saying it would be a b it ch to put them on yourself. would be nice to have a second set of hands to hold it up while I fasten it or take the nuts off... might be different if I was in my driveway rather then the company's driveway hah.
Non the less 640 for a new bumper and hood installed is still cheaper then just buying the hood from say AM
Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftDinner View Post
I know how to take them off. Im just saying it would be a b it ch to put them on yourself. would be nice to have a second set of hands to hold it up while I fasten it or take the nuts off... might be different if I was in my driveway rather then the company's driveway hah.
Non the less 640 for a new bumper and hood installed is still cheaper then just buying the hood from say AM

I did it myself many times. And that was with the heavy stock GT hood. I just popped up the hinges, set the hood on them carefully, put one side held up with the little stand, and let the other side balance on my head while I started the top nut on each side. Easy.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I did it myself many times. And that was with the heavy stock GT hood. I just popped up the hinges, set the hood on them carefully, put one side held up with the little stand, and let the other side balance on my head while I started the top nut on each side. Easy.
Lol.
You're like me Cole. I'll figure out how to do something by myself even if it takes all day.

Hey Kraft, if there's a Home Depot nearby, you can usually pick up some "temporary" labor out in the parking lot.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 AM   #10
Road Trip!

hahaha its not that it isn't possible. I just figured it might be a bit awkward buying the hood and bumper... carrying them out into the parking lot... taking mine off.. replacing with the new ones then driving away leaving the old hood and bumper behind.. when I could just toss then 70 bucks and be done with it.. lol If I find a buddy who will come on the road trip with me I might do it just to say I did but im not that cheap
Old 01-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
hahaha its not that it isn't possible. I just figured it might be a bit awkward buying the hood and bumper... carrying them out into the parking lot... taking mine off.. replacing with the new ones then driving away leaving the old hood and bumper behind.. when I could just toss then 70 bucks and be done with it.. lol If I find a buddy who will come on the road trip with me I might do it just to say I did but im not that cheap

It's about as awkward as eating soup with your hands. But if you put in the time and effort that soup can be consumed! Haha

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You don't have any friends and $20 for a basic ratchet set?

Also as far as the bumper and hood. What brand? Because a LOT of the cheaper brands will require prep and some work to fit properly.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think Kraft wants to just leave the old bumper and hood in the parking lot and just leave.
What's needed here is a truck...
Old 01-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I don't think Kraft wants to just leave the old bumper and hood in the parking lot and just leave.

Do the back seats in the sn95 not fold down like mine does?

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yes.

But a HOOD?!??
Old 01-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #16
Road Trip!

IS $670 WORTH IT FOR...

Quote:
Yes.

But a HOOD?!??

Lololol I was thinking about the bumper. But for the hood.. OP is **** outta luck hahaha

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Do it at someone's residence? Even in the parking lot of an apt complex wouldn't take more than an hour or so... Then just carry the bumper into your unit and then come back and you both put the hood back.

I have never heard of someone having a problem like this before...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Do it at someone's residence? Even in the parking lot of an apt complex wouldn't take more than an hour or so... Then just carry the bumper into your unit and then come back and you both put the hood back.

I have never heard of someone having a problem like this before...
The parts are at a shop 4hrs away.
I believe that they can also do the install.
Kraft has no way to transport these parts unless, essentially, they are installed on the car.

I could be wrong, but, I think that because of the taxes or tariffs or something, that it's difficult for Canadians to have parts shipped directly to there doors from American suppliers such as AM. Thus, it's easier to deal locally.

To answer the original question...
If I'm understanding the situation correctly, yes, those prices seem reasonable.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #19
Road Trip!

hhaha exactly what I am saying!... The shop is 4 hours away and I do not have a truck.. so I would essentially have to pay them to do it... sure if the hood and bumper were at my home I could easily change them but that's not the case. And your rite! american muscle and most other websites wont even ship a hood or bumper to Canada and the sites from Canada are very expensive... I guess what I was asking was is 670 for both installed a good price.. Im thinking it is since just to buy the hood from American muscle is almost 600 dollars its self.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said, find out what brand the hood is and have them send pics BEFORE you commit to anything. If its not a known brand stay the hell away from it. Same with the bumper. Lots of cheaper urethane bumpers do not fit quite like OEM or one of the higher end ones. Also the last thing you want is a cheap hood letting go at 80mph on the highway...

Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Extreme Parts - Mustang 1999-2004
Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

That doesn't say what brand the hood is. Do they make it in house or what? I have never seen a GOOD hood sell for under the $500 range. Cervinis, Boss, Kaenen, HO Fibertrends, Harwood etc... At their prices I'm guessing its a generic they are getting made in China which I personally would steer clear from but they might be ok.

A hood is something you do NOT want to skrimp on. Again, a **** hood is going to potentially have fitment problems, waves and if you read some of the Cincinnati Composites horror stories of hoods flying up at highway speeds and smashing windshieds/causing wrecks...

I'd call and ask them what brand it is, where they get it from and how the hood latch mechanism works. You don't want to drive 4 hours, have them bolt it on, have it have a horrible gap or wavy lines or whatever and then be stuck with an "all sales are final" schtick.

I'm sorry to be such a downer but when you see a price like that you have to wonder why its so cheap. You get what you pay for and when something seems too good to be true it 99% of the time is.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
Road Trip!

lol I hear you man. I live on a boarder city with Michigan and can be across in 5 minutes so I am going to look into how I could possibly have AM just ship a hood and or bumper to a post office or something there.. or if that's even possible. I don't know anyone who lives in Michigan though...
Old 01-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
lol I hear you man. I live on a boarder city with Michigan and can be across in 5 minutes so I am going to look into how I could possibly have AM just ship a hood and or bumper to a post office or something there.. or if that's even possible. I don't know anyone who lives in Michigan though...
Can you open a US PO Box? Because then they'll be able to ship to the post office.

I shipped a transmission to a guy from Canadia in the mid 2000s and he had me send it to some random assed address in Michigan which was $75 vs like $200 to ship it directly to him.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #25
Road Trip!

not sure, ill be going across within the next few days to buy the americans cheap gas and cheap beer so I will stop at a post office and find out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT