Driving on ice/snow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Driving on ice/snow

Ladies and Gentlemen, please drive smart when driving on slick streets. We are in the middle of winter and need to consider road conditions carefully while traveling.

Yesterday, two Mustangs were totaled in Jackson, MS where i live. One accident was a multi-car accident. The other was solo. I'm not sure about injuries.

If you have summer tires, especially, give yourself extra time to get to your destination and slow down. Or drive a different vehicle.

Torn up Mustangs sure aren't pretty. Injured people are not either.

Be careful while driving.
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
+1
If you have summer tires, you shouldn't be out on slick roads at any speed.

2003 Sonic Blue GT Vert
SonicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue View Post
+1
If you have summer tires, you shouldn't be out on slick roads at any speed.
I've read that summer tires get hard in the colder weather and don't even work well on dry pavement.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Yeah, I've got the factory Pirelli P Zero Nero's and I can't leave my damn house because I'm too scared either I or someone will hit me.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you have summer tires on your car and are out in the ice/snow I hope someone sues you for reckless endangerment of others and you lose your license. Summer compounds are not designed for cold weather and the tires get HARD and don't stick well even on dry days. It will even say this on the information included with the tires or on the manufaturer's website.

I put my Mustang away in weather like we are having now and drive my truck or my wife's CR-V, both of which have automatic AWD or I can just throw the truck in 4H permanently if its really bad. If your Mustang is your DD, at least have all seasons. Better yet have a set of winter tires on cheap steel rims to throw on in the worst months. A Mustang with Blizzaks is actually a pretty capable car believe it or not, you just have to be smart.

Finally, even if you ARE following all precautions, slowing down etc... there are going to be dip****s out there no matter what with their heads so far up their asses they can see out their mouths. Be aware, slow down, increase following distance and FFS TURN YOUR GODDAMN LIGHTS ON.

Also, if the road is not too bad and its a 45-55 zone, please for the love of god do NOT go 25 the whole way. This was happening this morning and I wanted to lose my effing mind. At that point YOU are now more of a hazard than the weather because non-stupid people are going to be doing a correct speed and not everyone is going to be expecting a jackass to be going 25mph down a main road.

/rant
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Finally, even if you ARE following all precautions, slowing down etc... there are going to be dip****s out there no matter what with their heads so far up their asses they can see out their mouths. Be aware, slow down, increase following distance and FFS TURN YOUR GODDAMN LIGHTS ON.

/rant
Many times it's the overconfident people that end up in a ditch. I would rather slow down and drive as the conditions dictate. Many times your trip might only take 5-15 minutes longer, but you got there safely and don't have all the other things to deal with that come along with an accident, and I'm not just talking the day of. At the very least, those people that are pushing it will be standing out in the cold and getting to their destination really late. At the very most, they may never have to worry about driving in bad weather ever again. Worst case, causing some innocent person that got caught up in their carelessness to never see another day.

The thing I don't like about DRLs is that people don't think they ever need to turn their lights on, even in bad weather. Hello! I'm behind you and you have no tail lights!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

By the way, I drive a 4-wheel drive pickup in the Winter and still take it easy. I'm NOT one of those people that flies past you in the left lane because I have a truck. I may be able to get going much quicker than someone in a car, but I also have a lot of weight behind me to try and stop.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm not saying go the posted speed in the snow, what I am saying is there is still too slow in inclement conditions where the slow person becomes the hazard moreso than the weather.

When I did not have anyone in front of me this morning on the slushy roads with random patches of snow with a posted speed of 50 I was doing 35-40mph but the ppl doing 20 really needed to gtfo.

Agreed that the ppl passing doing normal speeds because "have a truck with a big 4x4 badge on it" are just as dangerous.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm not saying go the posted speed in the snow, what I am saying is there is still too slow in inclement conditions where the slow person becomes the hazard moreso than the weather.
No problem, I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said earlier, I quoted you because I was actually agreeing. Sorry if I came across otherwise.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ah ok you meant overconfident ppl in general. I mean I am sometimes but I try not to be stupid either lol.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Right, I was just talking in general. I also agree about people going SO slow that they cause people to change lanes to go around them. Most spinouts occur when people are changing lanes going too fast and they hit that snow between the tire tracks. The right lane is usually the better lane also. People cut over into that left lane and the next thing they know they are going for a ride.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep, case in point this morning the guy who sits in the desk next to me at work was almost 2 hours late becuase someone tried to pass in the road conditions I described. Tried to do 60 to pass a car doing 45 apparently and spun out. Went halfway into a ditch and car coming the other direction T-boned him. He said the EMTs had to bring out the jaws of life and everything to get one of the people out.

We commute the same way except I come in an hour earlier so that easily could have been me... the road he was on is NOT a road I often pass on when its nice out even. Like I said, people are morons.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Kind of funny how people can be so protective of their cars, have a fit if someone gives them a door ding in a parking lot, irritated when they get a stone chip, etc., but them they will drive the thing carelessly which could cause major damage or loss of the car altogether.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It isn't just us regular drivers driving krazie. Our tv news yesterday showed a fire truck running 'Mach 1' on an interstate on-ramp getting to the scene of an accident. If that knucklehead driver had slid he would have destroyed an 18-wheeler! And a news crew was filming at that intersection!

To the initial people commenting on the thread, thanks for the info on summer tire operating temperatures. I need to check into that further.

One of the Mustangs in a ditch here yesterday was a nice looking black one. Real shame!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
People feel sorry for me when I tell them I am stationed in Yuma, AZ with its 110+ degree summers. Jokes on them come winter time... Beautiful 80 degree day today!

I seriously do miss seasons though and clouds...There's hardly ever any clouds here

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for serving!

MI guy???
Old 02-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Driving on ice/snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I've read that summer tires get hard in the colder weather and don't even work well on dry pavement.

I can confirm that. I, unfortunately, am running summer tires in this cold weather. Once the temperature is around 10 degrees, the tires will break traction on dry pavement quite easily. It's manageable since I live in the city and drive around at low speeds all day, though.

EDIT: Oh my god, now scottydsntknow is gonna come find me and slash my tires. Haha
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm running Good Year F1's just awful in the snow
got caught in 1 storm already had to drive 40 miles in it , going up hills was a mother , there were points were I actually didn't think I'd make it home , there were cars all over the shoulder's accidents , but smart slow patient drivivng got me home , besides I'm a driving Fool

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT