Is my car normal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Is my car normal?

This is a 2004 GT, automatic and convertible, so pretty much as heavy and slow as a New Edge GT can get! Because of this fact, though, it's hard to know what's normal or unusual with this car's performance, since any sluggishness is attributed to the fact that it is what it is.

What I'm wondering about is when I'm getting on the freeway and trying to get up to speed. I'll be at around 50 mph, 2000-2500 rpm, third gear, and when I go WOT from that point, the response is very sedate. It doesn't stumble or lose power, it just doesn't really ramp up the way I'd expect. It just continues to calmly accelerate. It'll get a pretty good speed going eventually, but I've never been able to get it over 3500 rpm.

I know the automatic trans is going to keep a lid on how "spirited" things can get, but is it really normal for it to be that sluggish?

I have:

-- cleaned MAF sensor and throttle body
-- done a Seafoam treatment
-- changed spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter
-- tuned w/ BAMA race/performance/street tunes

along with the usual maintenance (oil change, checked trans fluid, etc.) Car has never given a CEL, and no knocking or obvious misfiring.

After all the refurbishing, the Mustang actually runs very smoothly, and the tunes have significantly woken the car up and dramatically improved throttle response. But even the aggressive race tune hasn't given the hoped-for boost in the situation described above. (Incidentally, I do plan on upgrading the rear gears later this year.)

I don't want to give the impression that I have sky high expectations for this car -- I know it has some significant limitations relative to other 99-04 GTs. If this is what the car's capable of, that's fine -- I'm not expecting a beast! I just want to make sure the car is performing up to its capabilities. Any wisdom on this would be much appreciated!
ElSaborAsiatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Ok.. Well Im gonna be THAT guy and just say get some 4.10s installed dude.

I have the same car minus the vert and it was seriously a dog before that, and it took forever just to pass people on the freeway

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
Ok.. Well Im gonna be THAT guy and just say get some 4.10s installed dude.

I have the same car minus the vert and it was seriously a dog before that, and it took forever just to pass people on the freeway
LOL yep, that's pretty much what I was curious to know, is if I have reason to pursue this further, or if it's normal and I can just bide my time until I get some 4.10s (or 4.30s????) installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Road Trip!

It is what it is dude lol. You got a v8 but like the slowest one in existence lol bahahah.

You already have the tune. Do you have any other bolt ons?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Other than the tune it's bone stock. I am definitely going to get gears, but beyond that I'm not sure if it's worth putting in the money and time for what I expect would be modest improvements at best. I've got a Porsche appetite on a Fiesta budget!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Just enjoy the car and make it look nice

And in the future upgrade to a cobra or Shelby
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Just enjoy the car and make it look nice

And in the future upgrade to a cobra or Shelby

lol too bad life doesn't work out that way hahaha

Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If I understand you correctly, the car is not downshifting, so you can accelerate fast?
When I replaced my intake manifold, the guy helping me didn't plug in the throttle position sensor all the way (or I think that's what it's called) and I had that problem. I would be in OD (4th) and when I stomped the pedal, it would slowly accelerate without downshifting. You could make sure it is all the way plugged in or not really dirty. That's the only thing I can think of. And no, just because it's an auto doesn't mean it accelerates slowly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-07 13.30.05.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	147294Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-07 13.30.13.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	147295
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSaborAsiatico View Post
Other than the tune it's bone stock. I am definitely going to get gears, but beyond that I'm not sure if it's worth putting in the money and time for what I expect would be modest improvements at best. I've got a Porsche appetite on a Fiesta budget!

Lol yeah it is what it is.

A fun DD so just enjoy it man

Old 02-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04beautyGT View Post
If I understand you correctly, the car is not downshifting, so you can accelerate fast?
When I replaced my intake manifold, the guy helping me didn't plug in the throttle position sensor all the way (or I think that's what it's called) and I had that problem. I would be in OD (4th) and when I stomped the pedal, it would slowly accelerate without downshifting. You could make sure it is all the way plugged in or not really dirty. That's the only thing I can think of. And no, just because it's an auto doesn't mean it accelerates slowly.
Attachment 147294Attachment 147295
Interesting -- I have not heard of this before, thanks! I'm fairly certain it isn't unplugged, but have not checked the connection in any way. I will look at it.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04beautyGT View Post
Attachment 147294Attachment 147295

I know right I was reading this thread and saw this and said you know what let me check mine you never know ...lol
swoopty5525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Mine wasn't completly off either, but was loose. When I put on my TB, I noticed it was loose and after installation it was fixed
Old 02-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well sir, when you mentioned the TPS, it was like dangling catnip in front of a cat. I couldn't not check this out. It did appear to be fully plugged in, but after looking up some symptoms of a failing TPS, it did seem possible this was the (or at least a) culprit. Plus, I had a Pep Boys gift card burning a hole in my wallet.

Installed the replacement TPS at lunch, and you know, I think it made a difference. I won't rule out placebo effect, but the improvement seemed pretty dramatic to me. Idle had been a little herky jerky, and that completely smoothed out to the point where I thought the car had died while I was rolling into a parking space. I went WOT after getting on the freeway, and while it didn't explode or anything, acceleration was quite brisk -- pushing the pedal actually felt like it was doing something compared to the sedate rise I was seeing before.

I'll have to keep observing how things go, but I feel like replacing the TPS actually worked. Thanks very much for the tip!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't even think about the actual sensor being bad, but now that you mention it my TB came with a new sensor, so I did have to replace that. If I really want to get up fast, i typically downshift manually anyway, and to me, it slams me back in the seat pretty good.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
TPS sensors are known to go bad on these things. Glad you got it all figured out. Now j-mod that trans! Look up "j-mod tccoa" on youtube and it should be the first result. Basically works like a shift kit for cheap and has the added benefit of increasing the life of your trans.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

2nd update...I think another piece of the puzzle has fallen into place. I was reading some threads about the throttle cable mod and a light bulb went on. The gas pedal has always sat oddly low (in comparison to other cars I've driven) in relation to the brake pedal, but it never occurred to me that I could adjust this. My pedal really is very slack and I've often thought that I shouldn't have to mash so hard to get going.

So, today I went and got a length of 1/4" polyurethane tubing, and tightened up the slack on the cable. Holy crap, what a difference. Now it just takes some firm pressure to open up all the way, and the difference in overall response is night and day. I'm a wimp about pressing the pedal in general, so I'm not in much danger of breaking the cable or anything. This is perfect for me.

scottydsntknow, I've read up some about the j-mod...enough at least to know that it's probably beyond my novice abilities. I've gotten comfortable with minor maintenance/repairs on my car but transmission work scares me. I'd love to do this but will have to get it done by a pro. I think after gears it'll be the next thing.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #17
Road Trip!

You have just put a couple of zip ties too lol

Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I thought about just putting zip ties on there (since the polyurethane tubing was a ***** to slip onto the cable), but with the amount of slack, I would have needed like 10 of them to cover the gap! Plus I really did not want to have to try to take all of them off if I changed my mind...
Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #19
Road Trip!

I just put a couple like 4 I think on mine.

And if I want it I'll just use scissors or something. Glad you like the gas pedal mod though

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT