Might Have Shorted My Fog Lights?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Might Have Shorted My Fog Lights??

A few weeks back It was raining really badly on my way home and the roads were flooded so my HID fog lights got wet and both went out. I just thought the bulbs were no longer good so I bought a new kit and im still not getting anything. I tested the bulbs/ballasts with my headlights and they work so its something else.
What steps should I take from here?
FYI I dont know much about electrical systems so talk to me like Im an idiot haha.
EthanGT03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There must be a blown fuse for the fog lamps.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
There must be a blown fuse for the fog lamps.
They seemed fine to the eye. If it shorts then that would blow a fuse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Normally.
Let me see if I can locate which one it is.
Give me a minute...
Old 02-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. Everything related to tthe fog lamps is located in the power distribution box inside of the engine compartment, it's located on the drivers side fender well.
There is a 20 amp fuse for the fog lamp relay in position #27.
If that checks out ok, then there are relays for the fog lamps that can be checked next. They are located in positions 1 and 5.
Check the fuse first. Position #27...
Old 02-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok. Everything related to tthe fog lamps is located in the power distribution box inside of the engine compartment, it's located on the drivers side fender well.
There is a 20 amp fuse for the fog lamp relay in position #27.
If that checks out ok, then there are relays for the fog lamps that can be checked next. They are located in positions 1 and 5.
Check the fuse first. Position #27...
Okay so the fuse was toast. Went and replaced it. Tested it, nothing. Go check the fuse and it blew. So looks like a short somewhere in the wiring?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanGT03 View Post
Okay so the fuse was toast. Went and replaced it. Tested it, nothing. Go check the fuse and it blew. So looks like a short somewhere in the wiring?

Yup. Water may be trapped somewhere causing it to short. Hunting shorts can be frustrating

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well I think I found my problem. The wires are a disaster. I have no Idea how to go how replacing this garbage so I guess I'll be going to a shop lol. Thanks for the help guys

Edit: or if anyone has replaced the fog light harness before lemme know on some pointers. The only problem I think I would have is joining the wires with the other ones
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140209_172309.png
Views:	133
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	147446  
Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like the harness was burnt from the outside in. The insulation looks like it's intact. Do you see bare wires anywhere in that mess? What's close enough to burn it? Fuse should have blown long before the wires got hot enough to melt insulation or wire loom. The easiest way to find a short is to start at the plugs and work your way backward. Check continuity with a multimeter. That normally gets you headed in the right direction.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
Looks like the harness was burnt from the outside in. The insulation looks like it's intact. Do you see bare wires anywhere in that mess? What's close enough to burn it? Fuse should have blown long before the wires got hot enough to melt insulation or wire loom. The easiest way to find a short is to start at the plugs and work your way backward. Check continuity with a multimeter. That normally gets you headed in the right direction.
Yeah one wire has completely broken apart and is no longer intact. The rubber insulation on more than one wire is burned off so It's bare wire in contact with each other.idk what could have burned it. The I insulation rests against the wiper fluid but that's it.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah one wire has completely broken apart and is no longer intact. The rubber insulation on more than one wire is burned off so It's bare wire in contact with each other.idk what could have burned it. The I insulation rests against the wiper fluid but that's it.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

OK. I would run up to radio shack and get some wire the same gauge as what is there, some butt connectors and shrink wrap. Clean the wires up, cut out bad section, slip shrink wrap over new wire section, crimp old wire to new wire, heat shrink wrap with blow dryer, lighter, heat gun, cut new wire to length and slip shrink wrap on new wire again. Crimp new wire to old wire again and heat shrink wrap. Do only one wire at a time so you don't connect to wrong wires.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK. I would run up to radio shack and get some wire the same gauge as what is there, some butt connectors and shrink wrap. Clean the wires up, cut out bad section, slip shrink wrap over new wire section, crimp old wire to new wire, heat shrink wrap with blow dryer, lighter, heat gun, cut new wire to length and slip shrink wrap on new wire again. Crimp new wire to old wire again and heat shrink wrap. Do only one wire at a time so you don't connect to wrong wires.
Maybe next weekend I can try to tackle it it just disintegrates when touched idk what to call it but it's like dry rotted
Old 02-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
One last question. Couldn't I just find find a wrecked mustang and pull the whole harness from it and just swap it? Do you think that would be easier?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanGT03 View Post
One last question. Couldn't I just find find a wrecked mustang and pull the whole harness from it and just swap it? Do you think that would be easier?
Probably, if you can find one... that's in good shape.

If not, what ChicagoJoe suggested is not too hard either.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, just as straybullitt said you can, my first concern however would be finding out what did this damage in the first place, then repairing. I would hate to see you go through all the trouble of finding a harness to have it happen again. To answer your question though, yes that would be just fine.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, just as straybullitt said you can, my first concern however would be finding out what did this damage in the first place, then repairing. I would hate to see you go through all the trouble of finding a harness to have it happen again. To answer your question though, yes that would be just fine.
That's true I have no idea how it happened it seems to be secluded from any significant heat source so it's a mystery. The car is 11 years old though lol
Old 02-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well, wires heat up close to the source of the resistance, so I'll take a guess and blame the connector.
Might have been loose or maybe broken.

Probably, better to replace the harness...
Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Lol
I just looked at the pic again. Scratch what I just said. That was a heat source from the OUTSIDE...
Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol
I just looked at the pic again. Scratch what I just said. That was a heat source from the OUTSIDE...
Lol ya it looks like it was exposed to an open flame haha. I appreciate all the help I think I'll replace the harness there's people parting out stangs all of Craigslist in Houston haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT