New clutch installed now car doesn't start/idles bad - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Angry New clutch installed now car doesn't start/idles bad

I'm at my whits end with my 2000 mustang gt. I just had a mechanic friend put in a new clutch and now the car starts intermittently and when I can magically get it to start, it idles and then the rpms drop to 300 and go back up. It went into gear fine and drove forward and reverse and when the rpms drop after reverse it dies. The mechanic said that he thinks it ran out of gas when they were trying to test it. I put 5 gallons of gas in and can hear the fuel pump kick on. I tried checking the pressure on the shrauder valve on the fuel rail and nothing comes out. I didn't have this problem until this guy installed the clutch. I do believe the clutch is installed correctly because it shifted up to thir at one point before going up a hill and it dying. Anyone have any ideas?
Cal8556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If your fuel rail has no fuel in it and the pump is running, I would look at replacing the filter. They're like 15 bucks. The filter on your car sits underneath the car, right behind the fuel tank.
Shuvool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

Ok. Would it cause it to run once and then not start after. I was thinking it was more along the lines of a sensor because of the way it dies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #4

I keep thinking that the flywheel and clutch aren't aligned correctly. What would be the symptoms of that ?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

When a fuel filter gets heavily clogged it can still run intermittently, since the clogged filter isn't a 100% seal, some fuel can slowly get through. When you run a car out of gas, the sediment at the bottom (made of whatever dirt manages to find its way into the tank over the years) gets sent to the engine. The filter catches most of it, but then the sediment acts as a partial blockage. At any rate, if you haven't replaced the filter in the last couple of years, it needs replaced anyways, and the symptoms sound a lot like when I had to replace the filter on my Expedition a couple years back
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If your flywheel and clutch weren't properly aligned, you'd have uneven engagement when you engage the clutch and you'd have a bunch of shuddering that you'd feel through the clutch pedal
Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Had a horrible idle problem and I would push the accelerator and it would die and just replaced the IAC sensor right on the throttle body next to the TPS sensor. Fix that problem we'll for me
larrysgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysgt View Post
Had a horrible idle problem and I would push the accelerator and it would die and just replaced the IAC sensor right on the throttle body next to the TPS sensor. Fix that problem we'll for me

That could be for the OP as well, but the change point between when it was running properly and when there were problems in this case was the clutch install, during which the OP said the tank was run out of gas. It's not uncommon to get a clogged filter or even clogged injectors when you suck the sediment out of the bottom of the tank into the fuel line
Old 02-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

Ok. So I did everything that y'all said. I changed the filter which wasn't that bad. Changed the iac valve, and the fuel rail pressure sensor. I still don't have pressure at the shrauder valve and I do have gas in it. Check all fuses and inertia switch, still nothing. Fuel pump still kicks on and shuts off after a couple seconds. Any other ideas?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT