Car Stumbling/Hesitating - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Car Stumbling/Hesitating

Hey guys, been a cold, snowy and just horrible winter this year..haven't taken the mustang out too much, but I recently developed a bad stumble/hesitation when I give it anymore than 1/2 throttle..idle is smooth, car drives smooth at just 1/4 throttle, anything more and it just falls on it's face, stumbles, hesitates etc..I also have a very very slow coolant leak, which I can't seem to track down, seems to lose maybe a quart in the past 5 months or so...it's so cold, no garage, haven't gotten a chance to start checking yet, but when I do where should I start? Plugs? COPs? Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Most stumbling issues have 2 problems.: ignition or fuel. Considering yours runs fine until half throttle and idles with no issues it sounds like fuel delivery. Change the fuel filter and make sure you have fresh gas. You can actually blow through the filter am empty what's left into a clean container and you will see any trash as well as water since it will bubble up. Had this issue on my truck with a 5.0 in it. As I pressed the gas fuel pressure dropped and all wet to hell. Culprit was the filters.

Now something that may not be as common could be the TPS otherwise known as the throttle position sensor. As the throttle blade opens from you pressing the pedal it sends a steadily increasing amount of voltage to the electronic system for air to fuel ratios and timing. If this has gone bad your computer gets mid interpreted signals causing hesitations and backfires. This can be checked with an ohm meter. Just YouTube it.

Hope this helps
jhherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhherndon View Post
Most stumbling issues have 2 problems.: ignition or fuel. Considering yours runs fine until half throttle and idles with no issues it sounds like fuel delivery. Change the fuel filter and make sure you have fresh gas. You can actually blow through the filter am empty what's left into a clean container and you will see any trash as well as water since it will bubble up. Had this issue on my truck with a 5.0 in it. As I pressed the gas fuel pressure dropped and all wet to hell. Culprit was the filters.

Now something that may not be as common could be the TPS otherwise known as the throttle position sensor. As the throttle blade opens from you pressing the pedal it sends a steadily increasing amount of voltage to the electronic system for air to fuel ratios and timing. If this has gone bad your computer gets mid interpreted signals causing hesitations and backfires. This can be checked with an ohm meter. Just YouTube it.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the quick response! I'll get around to changing the fuel filter ASAP, I did change it last spring but hey never know if something got in and clogged it up, this problem happened right after a 200 mile trip, happened when my tank was nearly empty, filled up with 93 (tuned) and still had the problem. I will also get around to checking out my TPS sensor tomorrow and will report back! Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Not a prob dude and hope it's a quick fix. Keep is posted and I it's not maybe some others will chime in with some experiences they've had.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys so sorry I haven't gotten back, been a pretty hectic month, anyway..changed my fuel filter, checked tps, and nothing has changed..took her for a drive today for the first time in 2 weeks, she drove good untill I try to give more than 1/2 throttle, anymore it just wants to cut out..after returning home I backed into my driveway and heard a noise I've never heard before coming from my driver tailpipe, really freakin me out lol, any ideas, thanks guy!
http://videobam.com/FheoQ
Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Sounds like a dead cylinder. Bad coil is my guess. I had a similar problem. Car would run good and have random misfire. No codes. Then one day the coil finally failed completely. Run engine, pull power connector off one coil at a time and see which one doesn't change the engine. That would be the bad one.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

YOU ARE THE MAN, found bad coil, replaced it with motorcraft oem, drives great again! Thanks brotha!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Right on dude and great insight from Mforr33. 99% of the time it's ignition or fuel.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Glad I could help. I bought a cheap coil from jegs to keep in the trunk just in case I'm out and one gives me a problem.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT