Just ordered a COP tune up kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Just ordered a COP tune up kit

Cliffyk mentioned this kit awhile back and although my 98 does not have COPS and therefore I don't have to worry about $40 a COP for it, my Expedition DOES have them. According to Cliffy and some other research I've done, very rarely does the actual electronic part of the COP go bad, its usually a bad boot seal that fouls up the spring/clip inside or the spring just wears out. Therefore, one can just replace the boots and springs for $30 and save $300 on COPs in the process. This kit also works for 2V Mustang COPs and a pretty much anything that uses the PI head.

I'll report back when I do the plugs and rebuild the COPs on my Sexpedition and let you guys know how it goes. I currently am sitting at around 115k on the truck and the plugs/COPs are originals as far as I know. Road tripping to Louisville in 3 weeks so its probably a good idea to do this now.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Sub'do for results

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quick question, the link says for 16V, you think they will work for the 32V Mach 1? Is just the springs and boots, so I don't see why not but then I'm no expert

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post
Quick question, the link says for 16V, you think they will work for the 32V Mach 1? Is just the springs and boots, so I don't see why not but then I'm no expert

Click me

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
FYI i have a 98 GT i took the COP's off a 2003 Ford Explorer wired them in to the my car however i do have a PI intake from an 02 Mustang. All i did was clean them up and used a little dielectric grease at the plug connection, no more spark plug wires.

Expecting another 6" - 12" of snow this weekend WTF
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I bought one of these kits years and years ago and never had a problem with them. Unfortunately, the plastic around some of the bases on the cops begun to crack, from years of heating and cooling. So I went to the JY, and picked up a dozen or so to replace with.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
FYI i have a 98 GT i took the COP's off a 2003 Ford Explorer wired them in to the my car however i do have a PI intake from an 02 Mustang. All i did was clean them up and used a little dielectric grease at the plug connection, no more spark plug wires.

Expecting another 6" - 12" of snow this weekend WTF
There are kits to do this as well. Problem is with the 96-98 ignitions is that they run the COPs at double cycle. Example is at 6,000 RPM the COP is firing at 12,000. It doesn't effect the driving because you are only going to light off fuel on one stroke out of 4 no matter what the COP is doing but it does lead to issues if you are going to run a higher RPM motor at some point not to mention you are running them at double duty constanty. They are durable but I dunno... Motorcraft wires are $50 on Rockauto and its easy enough to hide the coil packs IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
I bought one of these kits years and years ago and never had a problem with them. Unfortunately, the plastic around some of the bases on the cops begun to crack, from years of heating and cooling. So I went to the JY, and picked up a dozen or so to replace with.
Yeah I'm hoping mine are good. Honestly if they are cracking a little I might just put some CA glue on them and see how long it holds...

Old 02-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Lol I used some JB weld at first, but I was still getting a misfire. I'm not sure if it was the crack or the cop was just bad, so I put in another Just to he sure.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
No clue, they have a website you can look at but the 4V uses different COPs than the 2V does.
In case anyone searches and finds this thread, Here is the link to the kit for the 32v mustangs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W2EJYE/..._44hetb02VSC2E

FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post
In case anyone searches and finds this thread, Here is the link to the kit for the 32v mustangs.

Amazon.com: COIL ON PLUG TUNE-UP KIT, FORD, LINCOLN, MERCURY MAURADER, MUSTANG COBRA 8 cyl 4.6L (32V) 2004-97: Automotive

Nice, that is the one you'd want. I edited one of my posts as well in case there is a searcher. Ironically, I had to drop $50 on new wires last night for my 98 after one would not clip onto the plug and I pulled the end out of the sheath and it was RUSTED... wtf...

Well whatevs, I should be doing the plugs/wires too instead of being lazy. Rockauto has the OEM Motorcraft wireset for $50 vs paying $80+ for the FRPP ones at AM/LRS/Jegs/Summit eff that. Also the Motorcraft wires are black which I prefer. Combo that with some basic copper Autolite 103s and I'm good.

That's another thing while on the plug/wire/COP topic. These motors like 1 range colder than stock and they like copper. I know all the NGK hype etc... honestly from years of wrenching on cars if you get a noticeable improvement from an omgwtfbbq plug its because the plugs you had in the car were jacked up already. Copper is best, but you have to change them more often. Like 30k miles often which for $2/plug and an hour of work to swap them is nothing.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Ya i am aware that it is still a wasted spark system however it's no different than the coil pack it is also working at double duty. From what i understand the only way i could change that would be to put a ECU from 00-04in. i just really like the look of it, if it fails I will go back to the coil packs.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
Ya i am aware that it is still a wasted spark system however it's no different than the coil pack it is also working at double duty. From what i understand the only way i could change that would be to put a ECU from 00-04in. i just really like the look of it, if it fails I will go back to the coil packs.
Yeah but the coil packs are designed to work like that, the COPs are not but like I said they are durable.

Putting a 99-04 ECU in would require harnesses and a bunch of other craziness, not worth it. The 98 started the HARD harness but its not complete. 98 was a bastard year between 96/97 and 99-04... I know this well lol.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with you, really no performance to be gained from changing the ECU that i'm aware of.

Ok i have to ask what do you mean by HARD harness, circuit board?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

HARD is the name of the harness setup that Ford used in the 99-04 cars. They were universally compatible for the most part. Example is that a Mach 1 ECU can work in any 99-04 car and to swap to an auto you just swap out the manual trans harness with an auto one or vice versa.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also available at Rockauto for a little cheaper.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #16
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT