Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Just ordered a COP tune up kit

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  WJL 
#1 · (Edited)
Cliffyk mentioned this kit awhile back and although my 98 does not have COPS and therefore I don't have to worry about $40 a COP for it, my Expedition DOES have them. According to Cliffy and some other research I've done, very rarely does the actual electronic part of the COP go bad, its usually a bad boot seal that fouls up the spring/clip inside or the spring just wears out. Therefore, one can just replace the boots and springs for $30 and save $300 on COPs in the process. This kit also works for 2V Mustang COPs and a pretty much anything that uses the PI head.

I'll report back when I do the plugs and rebuild the COPs on my Sexpedition and let you guys know how it goes. I currently am sitting at around 115k on the truck and the plugs/COPs are originals as far as I know. Road tripping to Louisville in 3 weeks so its probably a good idea to do this now.

#4 · (Edited)
Quick question, the link says for 16V, you think they will work for the 32V Mach 1? Is just the springs and boots, so I don't see why not but then I'm no expert

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Click me

#5 ·
FYI i have a 98 GT i took the COP's off a 2003 Ford Explorer wired them in to the my car however i do have a PI intake from an 02 Mustang. All i did was clean them up and used a little dielectric grease at the plug connection, no more spark plug wires.

Expecting another 6" - 12" of snow this weekend WTF

#7 ·
There are kits to do this as well. Problem is with the 96-98 ignitions is that they run the COPs at double cycle. Example is at 6,000 RPM the COP is firing at 12,000. It doesn't effect the driving because you are only going to light off fuel on one stroke out of 4 no matter what the COP is doing but it does lead to issues if you are going to run a higher RPM motor at some point not to mention you are running them at double duty constanty. They are durable but I dunno... Motorcraft wires are $50 on Rockauto and its easy enough to hide the coil packs IMO.

I bought one of these kits years and years ago and never had a problem with them. Unfortunately, the plastic around some of the bases on the cops begun to crack, from years of heating and cooling. So I went to the JY, and picked up a dozen or so to replace with.
Yeah I'm hoping mine are good. Honestly if they are cracking a little I might just put some CA glue on them and see how long it holds...

#6 ·
I bought one of these kits years and years ago and never had a problem with them. Unfortunately, the plastic around some of the bases on the cops begun to crack, from years of heating and cooling. So I went to the JY, and picked up a dozen or so to replace with.

#11 ·
Ya i am aware that it is still a wasted spark system however it's no different than the coil pack it is also working at double duty. From what i understand the only way i could change that would be to put a ECU from 00-04in. i just really like the look of it, if it fails I will go back to the coil packs.

#12 ·
Yeah but the coil packs are designed to work like that, the COPs are not but like I said they are durable.

Putting a 99-04 ECU in would require harnesses and a bunch of other craziness, not worth it. The 98 started the HARD harness but its not complete. 98 was a bastard year between 96/97 and 99-04... I know this well lol.

#14 · (Edited)
HARD is the name of the harness setup that Ford used in the 99-04 cars. They were universally compatible for the most part. Example is that a Mach 1 ECU can work in any 99-04 car and to swap to an auto you just swap out the manual trans harness with an auto one or vice versa.

#15 · (Edited)
Also available at Rockauto for a little cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.