Mustang Evolution Forum banner

SLP Loudmouth really THAT loud?

21K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  Doe_Rae_mi 
#1 ·
I want/need to get a new exhaust set up for my 01, and had my heart set on O/R xpipes and the Loudmouth 1 catback because go big or go home right? Heard from a mechanic friend that I should just stay away from SLP because they're too loud. He said that you can't hear yourself think even inside the car, as in pointless to listen to music and driving for more than 20 minutes will give you a headache.

Are they really that bad?

#2 ·
They're basically just resonators so yeah, they can be loud as hell. Some ppl think they aren't so bad, me personally I think that the overly loud exhausts are toolish and obnoxious. There are plenty of great sounding exhausts that are mild but still noticable at idle/off idle but will scream when you punch it. Magnaflows and Dynomax Ultras are a great example of this. I'd stay away from the Dronemasters too.

#3 ·
I don't know why a lot of people rag on flowmasters. Flowmaster 10 series mufflers have great sound. I experience almost no drone, maybe I have a higher tolerance for drone or something I don't know. The choices Scotty mentioned above are great choices as well, just wanted to throw in flowmaster 10 series. To each their own I guess. Everyone has an opinion on exhaust and in the end it's your car do what you like.

#4 ·
Everybody on here seems to love their SLPs, maybe because they haven't heard a good sounding catback yet, but I personally hate them. +1 to what Scotty said I love my Magnaflows

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah I don't get the flowmaster hate either. It's not like they are the only mufflers with drone??

Plus.. An H pipe + flows = secks!!

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
No they are not, most chambered mufflers have a way worse drone than a striaght through but I can tell you from experience on my own cars and driving other ppl's cars... flowmasters drone like crazy in comparison. I also think they get way too raspy and tinny sounding up top with the trade off that they do (I admit) have one of the best sounding idle and off idle tones there is.

I dunno, my Ultras were deep and throaty at idle but not overly loud. Same at off idle but when you stomped on it they would REALLY scream, like a totally different muffler and ppl always asked me wtf I had. I think I was the only person with a stang in Dover that had them. 90% of ppl had flows, a few ppl like my roomate had the good sense to take advantage of a $400 installed Magnaflow catback price (these were 2004 prices) that a local exhaust shop was doing and then there were a few snowflakes like me with other brands.

#6 ·
I bought my car with stock hpipes and it has some unknown variety of flowmasters. It sounds good, don't get me wrong, but I still want to go louder. I guess I'll go a different route than the SLPs. But I still plan on sticking with the o/r xpipes. I'll have to browse around youtube and try to find something new I like.

#10 ·
Well I have heard many exhausts and I beleive a lot of the choosing process is personal preference, everyone has their own opinions about other exhaust. I personally had flow masters on my car when I bought it and absolutely hated them. I currently have longtubes, O/R X pipe and slp loudmouth 1s. I like it and they scream at WOT. Not everyone likes them but I get nothing but compliments with them. Everyone will throw their own opinions about mufflers and other exhaust choices and tell you that THIS is what you need but in the end it's your car and your decision. Best advice is to listen to different ones (preferably in person) and make your decision then.

#12 ·
I personally like the SLP's. They're loud, poppy, crackly, and just overall obnoxious. But they sound pretty good. I have a video taken from inside my car with Offroad X and bassani catback, driving around with a mustang with offroad X pipe and SLP LM 1's. Now, my car is loud. You can hear it from several blocks away while normal cruising. His car, completely drown out my exhaust. That'd how loud it is. It's a very aggressive set of pipes and not for the faint of heart.

#15 ·
Depending on what state you live in, getting an o/r mid pipe can be a problem with inspection/emissions. I'd at least recommend having hi-flow cats in your mid pipe. That'll give you desired noise without all the raspy sound.
As for exhaust choices… theres hundreds of combinations you can pick, each sounds different. Just have to find what's right for you. Good luck on your search and enjoy it!
Attached is a vid of mine with just the magnapack cat-back (fly-by)

#17 ·
Cats don't fly here in NJ either but its all of a half hour to swap pipes from start to finish. Swap the day before going to emissions or the day of and swap back as soon as the pipes are cool enough after you get back.

#18 ·
Honestly that's what I originally planned on doing. I watched an AmericanMuscle video on how to do it and was pretty surprised at how easy it was. My only problem is getting underneath the car.

It was lowered a bit before I bought it. To the untrained eye one won't notice but the cats on the stock hpipe hang so damn low now that sometimes I cant avoid scraping. There's even a hole in my one cat now from it (partially why I need a new set up). I could barely even jack the damn thing up to change the oil, it took some force to get the jack where it needed to be just to get under the car.

I just don't have the availablity to do it myself or else I would. :/

#19 ·
Buy ramps from autozone, go buy a 8' long 2x8 from home depot, have it cut in half to two 4' long pieces while you are there for free. Place ramps, place boards halfway down ramps, you can now drive a lowered car onto the ramps. This is how I do the oil on my 98 when I don't feel like patronizing the worst on base auto/hobby shop in existence.

#22 ·
For oil I'm gonna have to do that, but I can't imagine that would be enough room to work with to replace the exhaust. I think my one buddy has ramps and he actually works at home depot lol. I'll have to try sometime and see what kind of room that gives me.

#23 ·
I wanted to kill myself every time I had a 20+ minute drive in a setup like that in my 91. When I got out one day after a 2 hour drive home and my ears were ringing that was the day I decided to put tailpipes on. A few months later someone hit that 91 in a parking lot and I drove a beater for a year until I got my 95 Cobra. THAT car had tails and straight through mufflers.

#27 ·
Running O/R UPR X pipe with super 44s. Loud when you step on it but cruising at 75 mph is quiet. No drone. Can talk, listen to music etc.

Edited: Stock gearing as well though. Stays below 2K rpm

That's why you don't have drone. Take it up to 2200-2400 RPM and that's how loud most ppl with the flows have it at your normal cruising speeds in OD.

#30 ·
I've got magnapacks now with LT headers and catted x pipe. They sound amazing IMO and was the only exhaust I found with such a deep tone with headers and x-pipe. Magnaflow has very high quality products. The only problem I had with them were the rear hangers weren't the best at staying in place

#29 ·
Remember, exhaust sounds a lot quieter in the car than outside of the car. My exhaust is ok loud inside the car and sounds deep all the time to me. But when I finally had my dad drive around the block for me to hear it outside it sounded a lot louder and more aggressive.

#35 ·
I have magnapacks and an o/r x pipe. I love it sounds really good. Videos don't do it justice at all. I have had slp 1s, hated them, flowmasters , they were OK, dynomax also OK. Magnaflow mufflers are very good quality stainless steel.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#38 · (Edited)
Thanks scotty. I planned on getting longtubes anyway. But can someone explain a little better (no offense brentap, truly just my beginner ignorance) why I should go with headers first? If that really is the case, I'll probably just get everything, headers/midpipe/catback all in one shot then. Thats not too big an issue.

Actually, I get it now.

Anyway, what I'm definitely looking at doing now is getting the SLP Ceramic LT headers and Magnaflow Magnapack catbacks. All I need is the midpipes. I want o/r xpipes, anything I should know before I set my mind to a brand? They're all basically the same price for the O/Rs made to fit long tubes, so what should I trust and what should I avoid?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.