Timing chain slap? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not sure if this soundclip will help much at all but here is one of me inside the engine bay and revving it. I don't hear the timing chain slap that I have seen on other video's. https://soundcloud.com/austin-hughes-23/engine-revs

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well I listened to the sound clips, and the first one I think you can hear it, but the second I didn't hear it at all. It seems to only happen under load, which is either detonation, or could be some kind of drive train noise. Is it a manual?

I would return the car to stock, and use 93 octane gas. If you can still hear the noise, then its probably not detonation. If its a manual, that could be clutch chatter, does it shake or studder even slightly when you hear the noise?

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Well I listened to the sound clips, and the first one I think you can hear it, but the second I didn't hear it at all. It seems to only happen under load, which is either detonation, or could be some kind of drive train noise. Is it a manual?

I would return the car to stock, and use 93 octane gas. If you can still hear the noise, then its probably not detonation. If its a manual, that could be clutch chatter, does it shake or studder even slightly when you hear the noise?
Yes the car is a manual. Here's another sound clip that I just took with 93 octane in on the street tune: https://soundcloud.com/austin-hughes-23/new-recording-2

No it doesn't shake or studder when it makes that noise. The mainly only time it makes it is when I smash the pedal. I don't really hear it if I drive like a grandma.

Not sure if this matters, but I think I can hear the fan buzzing and scraping something when it turns on.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

If it only happens when you mash the pedal under load, I'm going with detonation on this one. But like I said try putting the stock tune in it and see if the noise goes away, or diminishes at all.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If it only happens when you mash the pedal under load, I'm going with detonation on this one. But like I said try putting the stock tune in it and see if the noise goes away, or diminishes at all.
Will do. I put 93 octane in and nothing has changed.. how do you fix detonation if it's not fixed after I remove the tune?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Timing chain slap?

Quote:

Roguestang,

I uploaded my stock tune and it has gotten a little better. I still can hear it though for sure. I have only driven around 5 miles (or less) so should I let the 93 octane run through it a little longer to see if it goes completely away? I have an audio clip that I will try to get on here in the middle of the day when I get off work.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Detonation is not good in general, but a small amount isn't detrimental. You can typically see it happen with poor quality gas, or low octane ratings. In your case, assuming it is detonation, and assuming your car is "stock" maybe for some bolt ons, it might just need a fuel system flush, or some kind of seafoam addictive. I've seen that stuff work wonders before.

Now if you do run a good fuel system cleaner through the car, and still have the issue, I would contact the dealer you bought the car from, or if you know of a good reputable mechanic in your area to make a diagnosis.

On a side note, I've seen pi swapped non pi engines have this issue because of the compression increase and use of 87 octane. I'm not saying this is your case, but just a side note.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Timing chain slap?

Quote:
Detonation is not good in general, but a small amount isn't detrimental. You can typically see it happen with poor quality gas, or low octane ratings. In your case, assuming it is detonation, and assuming your car is "stock" maybe for some bolt ons, it might just need a fuel system flush, or some kind of seafoam addictive. I've seen that stuff work wonders before.

Now if you do run a good fuel system cleaner through the car, and still have the issue, I would contact the dealer you bought the car from, or if you know of a good reputable mechanic in your area to make a diagnosis.

On a side note, I've seen pi swapped non pi engines have this issue because of the compression increase and use of 87 octane. I'm not saying this is your case, but just a side note.

At first my car was having trouble cranking (it would take a while) and we was thinking that it might be my fuel filter. It did that for a while but now my car cranks like normal. Really fast and runs good with no bogging down after starting up like it did.

I called the mechanic and they said they can't send a tech with me so I could replicate the noise because they aren't covered by insurance. Lol

All I had on it was a tune, nothing else.

And who knows how long it's been doing this... At first I thought it was just engine noise from the bigger v8.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Well run some seafoam following the instructions on the can through the gas and see if the pinging goes away. I can guarantee though any mechanic that knows what he's doing should he able to take a car for a test drive and know what detonation sounds like.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well run some seafoam following the instructions on the can through the gas and see if the pinging goes away. I can guarantee though any mechanic that knows what he's doing should he able to take a car for a test drive and know what detonation sounds like.
My parents came up today and they also said it was "chattering" which is detonation except in old days terms lol. They said the engines back then would still last a while even while having detonation. I will run some seafoam through it next time I fill my gas tank. Any tips on using it?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Read the bottle and follow the instructions. But IIRC they recommend you use like half a can on the fuel system. But all the directions you'll need will be on the can

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Btw there may be another decent fuel system cleaner out there, if anyone else knows they can chime in. But I've always had good luck with seafoam

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Btw there may be another decent fuel system cleaner out there, if anyone else knows they can chime in. But I've always had good luck with seafoam
Alright, my dad used seafoam and had good luck with it on his boat motor. He said that the can says just to put it in your fuel tank, so I just put the full can in my fuel tank and just act like I've done nothing to the car? Think this will fix the detonation?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Well I've seen it do crazy stuff. I had a bad hesitation in my Fox, and I ran seafoam through the intake and it fixed the problem. So coild it fix your issue? Maybe. But I'll stop short of saying it will definitely fix it. We don't know the exact reason why your car has detonation, if it happens to be without a doubt detonation. But let us know either way what happens afterwards

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I've seen it do crazy stuff. I had a bad hesitation in my Fox, and I ran seafoam through the intake and it fixed the problem. So coild it fix your issue? Maybe. But I'll stop short of saying it will definitely fix it. We don't know the exact reason why your car has detonation, if it happens to be without a doubt detonation. But let us know either way what happens afterwards
Alright will do, for the sake of future searches from google lol. Do you know how long our engines last with detonation? It seems to mainly only detonate when the engine is bogged down.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Well detonation is not a good thing. A lot of it will kill any engine quick. If you can hear it over the sound of our cars exhaust I would say its not good. Basically the ecu has advanced the spark too much and you get detonation. But a stock car should not have that issue, unless there is an underlying problem. I'm thinking its in your fuel system somehwere, and a cheap and possible easy way to fix it might he a bottle of fuel system treatment. Hence why I suggested that. So to answer your question, there is no number of how much is okay on an engine, but I can tell you any is bad for performance. The only other thing I could suggest, is unhook the battery for 30 mins and reset the ecu with the stock tune, and see if the ecu can relearn the timing curve.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well detonation is not a good thing. A lot of it will kill any engine quick. If you can hear it over the sound of our cars exhaust I would say its not good. Basically the ecu has advanced the spark too much and you get detonation. But a stock car should not have that issue, unless there is an underlying problem. I'm thinking its in your fuel system somehwere, and a cheap and possible easy way to fix it might he a bottle of fuel system treatment. Hence why I suggested that. So to answer your question, there is no number of how much is okay on an engine, but I can tell you any is bad for performance. The only other thing I could suggest, is unhook the battery for 30 mins and reset the ecu with the stock tune, and see if the ecu can relearn the timing curve.
I have put my 93 race tune on to see if that might change anything. Most likely will put seafoam in it tomorrow. Who knows if anything in the fuel system has been replaced yet, and it's got 117k on it. So hopefully the seafoam will save my life

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

The 93 race tune will advance the spark in the ecu and the detonation probably would get worse in that case. But its always a good idea to change the fuel filter especially if you don't know when the last time it was done. But try the seafoam first and let us know.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Timing chain slap?

Quote:
The 93 race tune will advance the spark in the ecu and the detonation probably would get worse in that case. But its always a good idea to change the fuel filter especially if you don't know when the last time it was done. But try the seafoam first and let us know.

Half a tank down with seafoam and zero change. It still detonates whenever u gun it no matter what gear. My parents said that back in their days it's was called "chatter" and that most vehicles had it after we changed over to the ****ty gas and it didn't kill those motors. Things might have changed, maybe not but they said it's sounds like a healthy motor (when I rev it with the good up) and that I shouldn't worry about it.

It concerns me though and makes me cringe when I hear it. I mean what else could it be making it detonate? Should I call bama and get them to readjust the tune? It did it even with stock tune though back before. Should I run the seafoam through a vacuum instead? I put it in a full tank of 93 octane she'll has.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

You could try some octane booster. I don't know what bama could do without a dyno tune to see the sparl curve. You could try running it through the pcv valve and see what happens as well, but I don't see that making a big difference.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You could try some octane booster. I don't know what bama could do without a dyno tune to see the sparl curve. You could try running it through the pcv valve and see what happens as well, but I don't see that making a big difference.

So do you think it's almost to the point of taking it to a mechanic?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. If it wasnt doing it before, and it is now, there is an issue somewhere. Detonation kills performance and can kill your engine.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah. If it wasnt doing it before, and it is now, there is an issue somewhere. Detonation kills performance and can kill your engine.

It's weird. Engine runs healthy other than the sound when I romp on it

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

That's fine. Mine did too, but its hard to diagnose what the issue is without seeing it. So it may have to be looked at by a mechanic to find the reason why.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Timing chain slap?

Quote:

What fixed yours? Just higher octane gas?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. It was a pi swap on a non pi block. So I would get alittle detonation on hot days even with 93 octane. So some octane booster from the auto parts store would usually fix that issue during the hotter months.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah. It was a pi swap on a non pi block. So I would get alittle detonation on hot days even with 93 octane. So some octane booster from the auto parts store would usually fix that issue during the hotter months.

Well I doubt that's mine right? It seems to detonate either way for me.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
most mustangs sound like this
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post

Well that's a good thing I guess lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Well that's quite a helpful statement.... I'm assuming that means you've heard every mustang out there then?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Well I doubt that's mine right? It seems to detonate either way for me.
No probably not your reason.

Quote:
Correction, most Camaros sound like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395516901868.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	151503  

***resident gun idiot***
Old 03-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
lol its true... I guess Mile High's mustang runs as quiet as a kia but outa the two I have had and the many I have seen they all have a tick or knock or squeal or ... some noise lol... unless its excessive I wouldn't loose sleep
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think it's normal but it may just be a lot more engine noise because I was in a v6 before with dumped flowmaster so I had a lot of cabin noise.

As to if it was doin it before or not, I'm not sure. I may not have noticed it due to thinking it was just a bigger engines noise.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT