question about oil pressure gauge! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
question about oil pressure gauge!

00 mustang gt....when its cold the oil pressure gauge fluctuates from normal to thinking its the oil pressure sending unit/switch. it did have a little oil around it so im assuming its leaking. i am no ase certified mechanic and would love any help on this! thanks..also its full of oil and no noises been driving like this for a week so thats why im assuming its the switch

samcrored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: North Carolina
I had a 2001 GT that had similar issues. It started out that my oil pressure gauge needle would not move for about a minute after start up. Gradually got worse over the next month or two and would take longer for the needle to move to normal. No ticking or knocking. One day made it a couple blocks from home and started ticking bad. Immediately brought it home.

We all know about the oil pressure sensor issues, and that was what I expected. Always full of oil and never any engine noise. Just lucky this day I wasnt far from home, had windows down, and radio off. If not engine would have been toast.

Prognosis: Changed oil pump and found oil pick-up full of crap. You wouldn't believe, an I still don't, how much junk I pulled out of the pick-up.

Put it all back together and never changed the oil pressure sender. Ran like a champ!

If nothing else, you could pull the sender and connect a real oil pressure gauge to ensure its getting good pressure and the install a new sender. Depends on what you can afford.

Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
Region: New Jersey
The factory gauge is an on/off switch at 6 psi, it doesn't tell you anything except that you have SOME oil pressure. If its flaking out it could be the gauge or wiring or the sender. Best way to tell if you are having issues with the oiling system is to install a legit aftermarket gauge.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT