Hevy blue smoke, thoughts? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Hevy blue smoke, thoughts?

Hey guys I've been dealing with a smoking issue for quite a while and I'm not sure what's causing it. It doesn't smoke till it gets hot, if you drive it 10 minutes or less you'll never notice it but if you drive it 20-25 minutes it starts to pour out blue smoke. It smoke at an idle when taking off the whole time. I'm hoping its only valve seals. I've been told I could have bad valve guides or possibly a cracked head leaking antifreeze into the motor making it smoke but it doesn't use antifreeze and it never gets hot. Maybe my piston rings are shot? I do have good vacuum everywhere, I had a couple collapsed lines but I replaced them a while ago. Any thoughts??? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post
Hey guys I've been dealing with a smoking issue for quite a while and I'm not sure what's causing it. It doesn't smoke till it gets hot, if you drive it 10 minutes or less you'll never notice it but if you drive it 20-25 minutes it starts to pour out blue smoke. It smoke at an idle when taking off the whole time. I'm hoping its only valve seals. I've been told I could have bad valve guides or possibly a cracked head leaking antifreeze into the motor making it smoke but it doesn't use antifreeze and it never gets hot. Maybe my piston rings are shot? I do have good vacuum everywhere, I had a couple collapsed lines but I replaced them a while ago. Any thoughts??? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Antifreeze = white
Oil = blue
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Likely seals or a stuck ring or two. How many miles on the engine

sent while driving recklessly
adamv7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

There is 132,000 miles on they engine. I bought it a little over a year ago so I'm not really sure how it was treated before I got it. What would you guys recommend me doing? Change the seals and see what its like?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Start with a compression test...that'll likely narrow down the problematic cylinders.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

So a stuck piston ring will show on a compression test?

Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So a stuck piston ring will show on a compression test?

If its allowing oil into the combustion chamber, don't ya think it will allow compression out?

It won't say, hey you have a seized ring on this piston, but it will narrow it down to a cylinder or cylinders..

With that said, if you're going to do one...you might as well do all.

My personal preference, if I was going to replace the valve seals....id do a complete overhaul...but I do it myself so that may not be the best option for everyone.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I just always thought compression wouldn't go down unless the ring gaps were alligned. Or if the rings were worn out, and surely their not with only 130, 000. I didn't know stuck rings would affect it. But then again I don't know much about motors obviously. Trying to kearn what I can, I'm going to start checking compression in all cylinders tomorrow after work and college. And I would like to rebuild the whole motor but extra money is hard to come by. Thanks for the info

Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just always thought compression wouldn't go down unless the ring gaps were alligned. Or if the rings were worn out, and surely their not with only 130, 000. I didn't know stuck rings would affect it. But then again I don't know much about motors obviously. Trying to kearn what I can, I'm going to start checking compression in all cylinders tomorrow after work and college. And I would like to rebuild the whole motor but extra money is hard to come by. Thanks for the info

In some cases you're exactly right.

The chances of the gaps being aligned are slim to none, but possible.

But to answer your question...I have had a handful of engines that were burning oil, compression test usually led me to a couple low cylinders....ringed and sealed the engine, left the heads alone ( just removed and reinstalled) and 75k miles later were still kicking...

It may or may not be your case. There are some oil additives that claim to free sludge and free sticking rings, if that's something you want to try. I can't really attest to the working ability of them though.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamv7010 View Post

It may or may not be your case. There are some oil additives that claim to free sludge and free sticking rings, if that's something you want to try. I can't really attest to the working ability of them though.

If you pull the valve covers, does it look pretty sludged up under there, or is everything clean?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I checked my compression and its pretty darn even all the way around. So I decided I would go ahead and change the valve seals when I get the proper valve spring compressor. I did go ahead and take the valve cover off on the driver side because I was curious what it looked like.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I bought the valve seals a long time ago so since I've already got the parts ill just get the tool and go to work. Really hope I don't screw this up lol

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395182713227.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	151076  
Old 03-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I know it's a little late, but did you check the PCV system to be sure that it's functioning properly?
It's a route for oil to enter the intake...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I know it's a little late, but did you check the PCV system to be sure that it's functioning properly?
It's a route for oil to enter the intake...
Yes sir. I checked all of my vacuum lines, I had a couple that were callapsed and I replaced but it didn't seem to help any and I never noticed oil in any of them.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes sir. I checked all of my vacuum lines, I had a couple. hat were callapsed and I replaced but it didn't seem to help any and I never noticed oil in any of them.

No signs of oil if you pull the PCV hose off of the fitting where it plugs into the intake manifold huh?
When you pulled the plugs to do the compression test, were all of them the same color or did any of them look oil fouled? Or were all of them oil fouled?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
No signs of oil if you pull the PCV hose off of the fitting where it plugs into the intake manifold huh?
When you pulled the plugs to do the compression test, were all of them the same color or did any of them look oil fouled? Or were all of them oil fouled?
There was very little oil in the hose that i replaced but not really anything in the rest. The plugs looked like they all have been burning a little oil. I'm going to replace them after I finish the seals even though they're only about a year old. I just ordered a spring compressor and a hose that will screw into the spark plug hole so I can put air in the cylinders, should be here thursday. Soo I'm hoping to attempt the job this weekend

Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

A decent shop can do a leak down test. This procedure will tell you if it's valve seals or rings or both. A compression test will not give you the whole picture. Good luck and let us know what you find out...
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
A decent shop can do a leak down test. This procedure will tell you if it's valve seals or rings or both. A compression test will not give you the whole picture. Good luck and let us know what you find out...
Alrighty thanks for the input, I'm attempting to change my valve seals myself but if it still smokes after I finish these ill look into that. And there's not really any good shops around here, I live near a pretty small town.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I've started to change the seals only got 4 of them done and I'm about 3 and a half hours into it. Grease is my new best friend helps a lot when putting the retainers back in lol

Old 03-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I finished all of the seals got it together and it runs good. I've only had it runnin about 15 to 20 minutes and I haven't noticed any smoke. I believe its a done deal! I definitely wouldn't recommend anybody doing it lol a major pain in the butt

Old 03-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I finished all of the seals got it together and it runs good. I've only had it runnin about 15 to 20 minutes and I haven't noticed any smoke. I believe its a done deal! I definitely wouldn't recommend anybody doing it lol a major pain in the butt

Awesome! Congrats! Hopefully that did the trick!
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
Awesome! Congrats! Hopefully that did the trick!
Thanks man, appreciate it! I drove it about 50 miles today and never noticed smoke so I believe I'm good to go!!!

Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

AWESOME!!!

A job well done...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT