aftermarket intake manifold? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

Region: New York
aftermarket intake manifold?

Hi I have a 99 gt and I was looking to get an aftermarket intake manifold and upgrade fuel injectors. I have a BBK 78 mm CAI and 78mm TB and I plan to get a bama tuner soon. So my question is what is a good intake manifold that is good for 24lb fuel injector and 78mm TB. Also, should I have to replace my MAF sensor to support 78mm TB and bigger fuel injectors? Thanks for your help
New_York99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #2

Sorry didn't mean 78mm CAI
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Unfortunately an aftermarket intake manifold won't really net any gains to a Bolton car. The Trick Flow manifold might see some decent gains but they're expensive.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Bullitt manifold

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Unfortunately an aftermarket intake manifold won't really net any gains to a Bolton car. The Trick Flow manifold might see some decent gains but they're expensive.

Thanks for your input. So if the intake manifold isn't really worth the money, would it be pointless to get bigger fuel injectors? Sorry about my ignorance I'm new to the game and have a few bolt ons like mentioned above, I wanted to buy a bama tuner ASAP but want to make sure I'm not wasting my time w only having a CAI bigger TB and BBK aftermarket exhaust.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
aftermarket intake manifold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_York99GT View Post
Thanks for your input. So if the intake manifold isn't really worth the money, would it be pointless to get bigger fuel injectors? Sorry about my ignorance I'm new to the game and have a few bolt ons like mentioned above, I wanted to buy a bama tuner ASAP but want to make sure I'm not wasting my time w only having a CAI bigger TB and BBK aftermarket exhaust.

You're not wasting your time. A tune will be one of the biggest gains you get from your car bolt on wise. Even without the CAI, and other stuff it is still worth it because of the gains you get by itself.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I think you only need to mess with the MAF when you go Forced Induction (don't hold me to it, but I'm 90% confident that it's a waste of money)
As far as the intake goes, unless you are going Forced Induction, don't mess with it unless you need to replace it due to a coolant leak (it eats the plastic away), if you do I personally would have gone metal when I did mine, but I was crunched for time and had to use what they sell at O'Reilly's.
As far as I know you have orange 19lb injectors, so I don't know what difference that would make, but again unless you are going Forced Induction or they NEED to be replaced, I'm pretty sure it's a waste of money, especially when you could pull some pink 21lb injectors off of a '03-04 Mustang in a junk yard for much cheaper.
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it
Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_York99GT View Post
Hi I have a 99 gt and I was looking to get an aftermarket intake manifold and upgrade fuel injectors. I have a BBK 78 mm CAI and 78mm TB and I plan to get a bama tuner soon. So my question is what is a good intake manifold that is good for 24lb fuel injector and 78mm TB. Also, should I have to replace my MAF sensor to support 78mm TB and bigger fuel injectors? Thanks for your help

In another post, I suggested the Edelbrock intake. It's relatively inexpensive compared to the others on the market. The only issue is that you have to remove the EGR. With respect to injectors, I'd either replace or rebuild the set you have. If you replace, I'd go with a factory 03-04 Terminator set. These will provide OE reliability and give you room to build on if you ever add nitrous or boost. If you decide to rebuild, contact RC Engineering. They will take your set and get a baseline. They rebuild; blueprint and balance them for optimal flow. They even warranty the work. They've been around a long time and they also do custom work. With respect to you MAF, I would replace it with a programmable unit--from Pro-M. Even though you're "just" adding bolt-ons, you'll get the most gains and your money's worth by optimizing those mods as a whole. Adding a programmable MAF will give you more tuning optimization and the most gains. With this combination and a good tune, I bet you could see gains of 30-50hp at the wheels depending on the condition and mileage on the motor.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
In another post, I suggested the Edelbrock intake. It's relatively inexpensive compared to the others on the market. The only issue is that you have to remove the EGR. With respect to injectors, I'd either replace or rebuild the set you have. If you replace, I'd go with a factory 03-04 Terminator set. These will provide OE reliability and give you room to build on if you ever add nitrous or boost. If you decide to rebuild, contact RC Engineering. They will take your set and get a baseline. They rebuild; blueprint and balance them for optimal flow. They even warranty the work. They've been around a long time and they also do custom work. With respect to you MAF, I would replace it with a programmable unit--from Pro-M. Even though you're "just" adding bolt-ons, you'll get the most gains and your money's worth by optimizing those mods as a whole. Adding a programmable MAF will give you more tuning optimization and the most gains. With this combination and a good tune, I bet you could see gains of 30-50hp at the wheels depending on the condition and mileage on the motor.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.
You might see those gains on a boosted motor but a bolt-on PI motor is not going to have the capabilities to support an intake like that at all.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
You might see those gains on a boosted motor but a bolt-on PI motor is not going to have the capabilities to support an intake like that at all.

A boosted motor would get 100+ hp minimum with these mods and a tune ...if not, then it's not worth the effort...with these bolt ons and a good tune, a non-boosted motor should see minimum 30 hp at the wheels at the least....
Old 03-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A boosted motor would get 100+ hp minimum with these mods and a tune ...if not, then it's not worth the effort...with these bolt ons and a good tune, a non-boosted motor should see minimum 30 hp at the wheels at the least....
Got any dyno sheets to back up your claim? I'm not trying to doubt you, but back when I needed an intake manifold all I saw was slight horsepower gains with massive loss of low end torque in all the threads I was researching.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No I don't but logic tells me that with the combination that @NewYork_99GT has or will have, should get at least 30hp at the wheels. How much hp would you say just a tune could bet at the wheels? 10hp? 12hp? Add a larger throttle body; programmable MAF; upper and lower intake; CAI and that combination with a tune should get 30hp. Throw in aftermarket headers; high flow cats; x-pipe; exhaust and you'll gain even more.

I'm not saying that you'll have a rocket but a gain of 30-50hp is not entirely out of reach with bolt-ons and a good tune on street gas. Which in my opinion is totally worth it. It's reliable, balanced power.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I just recently added the TrickFlow Track Heat manifold and BBK Tuned Headers!.. No lose in low end but there is now a noticeable gain on the high end!.. I have an '04 GT Auto and I can now grab rubber in third!.. I also have an O/R Mid pipe and cat back, 75mm TB, and UD Pullies with a basic tune!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I just recently added the TrickFlow Track Heat manifold and BBK Tuned Headers!.. No lose in low end but there is now a noticeable gain on the high end!.. I have an '04 GT Auto and I can now grab rubber in third!.. I also have an O/R Mid pipe and cat back, 75mm TB, and UD Pullies with a basic tune!..

What do you think your gains are?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do you think your gains are?

Between the intake and headers probably about 30 (at the wheels)!.. Won't know for sure until the tracks open up around here though!..
Old 03-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Between the intake and headers probably about 30 (at the wheels)!.. Won't know for sure until the tracks open up around here though!..

Awesome!! That's what I figure a combination like that should get at a minimum. You won't see much low end but the motor comes alive from the mid range and up to 6000rpm for sure...add a 3:55 or 3:73 gear and that combo will feel even more powerful!

I'm in the middle of getting mine together with pretty much the same mods and I've been studying this for a while.

When you get some numbers let me know!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Awesome!! That's what I figure a combination like that should get at a minimum. You won't see much low end but the motor comes alive from the mid range and up to 6000rpm for sure...add a 3:55 or 3:73 gear and that combo will feel even more powerful!

I'm in the middle of getting mine together with pretty much the same mods and I've been studying this for a while.

When you get some numbers let me know!

Oh I'll post them as soon as I get them!.. Lol. I have to take my new Ride down the track and start getting some numbers for that one too!.. Lol
Old 03-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
No I don't but logic tells me that with the combination that @NewYork_99GT has or will have, should get at least 30hp at the wheels. How much hp would you say just a tune could bet at the wheels? 10hp? 12hp? Add a larger throttle body; programmable MAF; upper and lower intake; CAI and that combination with a tune should get 30hp. Throw in aftermarket headers; high flow cats; x-pipe; exhaust and you'll gain even more.

I'm not saying that you'll have a rocket but a gain of 30-50hp is not entirely out of reach with bolt-ons and a good tune on street gas. Which in my opinion is totally worth it. It's reliable, balanced power.

LOL

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Call Alternative Auto in Chesterfield Michigan. Ask for Lidio, he can help you. He's extremely knowledgeable about all Mustangs!! You can go to alternativeauto.com and see the website for all the info!! He's done all the work on my car, very satisfied!
toneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman View Post
Call Alternative Auto in Chesterfield Michigan. Ask for Lidio, he can help you. He's extremely knowledgeable about all Mustangs!! You can go to alternativeauto.com and see the website for all the info!! He's done all the work on my car, very satisfied!

I know a couple people who've gone to Lidio...he's second to none...one of the best.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I agree!!
toneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ld-one-go.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT