HP estimate - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
HP estimate

did some researching online and not to much info to answer my question. Well anyways heres my question. How much HP should I expect from a 2v 4.6l with Trick Flow twisted wedge heads, CMS stage 3 cams, 70mm throttle body/plenum, CAI, Longtube headers, O/R X pipe, SLP loudmouths, and possibly a compression ratio of about 10.5:1. Thanks in advance
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Max NA numbers on a 2V is 320-330rwhp and that's rare to see.

Full bolt Ons and maybe heads and cams is like 300rwhp
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

oh ok well that seems about decent. Its a good number to hold me off for awhile. Im in the process of planning out rebuilding my engine and was considering a 4v swap but Im not looking to spend a fortune. plus the upgrades that Im planning above will give me an oppurtunity for other things down the road if I decide to go that way. Im considering just keeping this car with the upgrades above and just be done. If I want to FI illjust buy another stang down the road as a better platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Max NA numbers on a 2V is 320-330rwhp and that's rare to see.

Full bolt Ons and maybe heads and cams is like 300rwhp

It's actually becoming more common to see 390-400 NA with the 2v. High compression stroker,TFS heads, good set of cams and a few others and you can see 350+

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
With the combo you mentioned, you should see gains of at least 100rwhp. Make sure you get a good tune and degree the cams. If you add a stroker kit, I have no doubt you'll see between 50-75 more hp.

Good luck and let us know if you get any official dyno numbers.
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
oh ok well that seems about decent. Its a good number to hold me off for awhile. Im in the process of planning out rebuilding my engine and was considering a 4v swap but Im not looking to spend a fortune. plus the upgrades that Im planning above will give me an oppurtunity for other things down the road if I decide to go that way. Im considering just keeping this car with the upgrades above and just be done. If I want to FI illjust buy another stang down the road as a better platform.

Not to discourage you, but if you're not looking to spend a fortune, don't get a stroker kit. Not sure if you do your own wrenching, but the TFS heads fully dressed; upper and lower intakes; exhaust; throttle body etc etc is going to set you back around $5k. Throw in a stroker kit and you're looking at almost $8000 before all is said and done. Add a new clutch maybe even a trans rebuild or new and you're over $10k. For that kind of money, you can get a decent rebuilt 4V or a Coyote crate motor. I've done the math (because I was thinking of doing the same) and I couldn't justify the cash outlay. If you plan on getting another Mustang in a few years or possibly upgrading to a 4V, the most I'd do is TFS heads; upper and lower intakes; throttle body; programmable MAF; CAI; long tubes; x-pipe; rear gears; suspension work; custom tune. Leave the bottom end of the motor alone. Just what I listed excluding the exhaust and suspension work is going to set you back $4000-$5000.

Like I said , I don't want to discourage you...just my opinion.

Good luck and let know how things work out.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well the thing is I have all bolts ons, gears, and longtubes already installed, I also plan to do all assembly and swapping myself. I also priced out pretty much everything I need (or should I say what I think I need) and it priced out around $5000 or a little more(that's with stage 3 cams, TFS assembled heads and a built bottom end. plus I'm already planning to rebuild the trans and rear end regardless, I appreciate all the guidement though. I don't think I'm goin to do a stroker kit but it's a possibility since I'll already have the engine apart.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Is that not sad.. Full bolt ons and your muscle car will have as much hp as any modern car.. maybe lol
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's really all I'm looking for, I'm not looking for a vette killer or anything lmao just something fresh and fun
Old 03-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Yeah that's really all I'm looking for, I'm not looking for a vette killer or anything lmao just something fresh and fun
Maybe a C4 vette lol. C5 and up you will need 350whp+

HID end all thread
Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah who knows, hopefully by the end of this year I'll have this build done but we will see
Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Exactly!! I'm in the same situation. I don't want a +500hp screamer, just enough power to manage the weight and a good handler for the street and circuit tracks. An extra 100 or so hp will make a huge difference especially if it's n/a. That's what I'm looking for.

I have pretty much everything but the heads....can't wait to get it together.

Let us know how it works out and post some pics. Good luck!!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
Exactly!! I'm in the same situation. I don't want a +500hp screamer, just enough power to manage the weight and a good handler for the street and circuit tracks. An extra 100 or so hp will make a huge difference especially if it's n/a. That's what I'm looking for.

I have pretty much everything but the heads....can't wait to get it together.

Let us know how it works out and post some pics. Good luck!!

Yeah man thanks! I understand most people would be like "just throw a $5k blower and call it done" but I'm looking for longevity as well. I need to rebuild my engine an I figure instead of OEM parts I figured I'd upgrade it. It's my daily driver so I don't need anything too radical lol so I think if I could rebuild the bottom end a bit and throw some Trick flow heads on with some decent N/A cams (looking at stage 2 or 3 CMS cams any opinions?) that I'll be happy
Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

In all seriousness- look for a 4v motor before you throw a ton of cash at a 2v build- you may get lucky and score a cheap one and rebuild it with some bolt ons and you ll be beyond what you could do with a 2v and still have some room to improve
SpeedMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

NA blows.. Put a pro charger and call it a day.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

In all seriousness how difficult is a 4v swap if I can find a complete engine? Just drop in an plug and play?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
NA blows.. Put a pro charger and call it a day.

That's your opinion I guess. And with all due respect to others on this forum, adding a blower--and I'll put this kindly--is the easy way...in other words, a child can make power by just adding a blower.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's your opinion I guess. And with all due respect to others on this forum, adding a blower--and I'll put this kindly--is the easy way...in other words, a child can make power by just adding a blower.

You have to be very dumb or very rich and dumb if your thinking of building a na modular motor , especially a Ford.
If you want high NA power, drop a Chevy in there. If not .. Do a supercharger and spend a lot less money, and time.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Quote:
In all seriousness how difficult is a 4v swap if I can find a complete engine? Just drop in an plug and play?

No it's not just drop in and plug and play,

A lot of little ****
Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't know anyone who has done it but from what I've read, it's not a difficult swap at all. You may need to reflash your ECU it swap it but otherwise I think it's pretty straight forward...plenty of write ups online I'm sure and on this forum.

Either way, good luck
Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know anyone who has done it but from what I've read, it's not a difficult swap at all. You may need to reflash your ECU it swap it but otherwise I think it's pretty straight forward...plenty of write ups online I'm sure and on this forum.

Either way, good luck

Well if I can find a cheap 4v engine around me then I'll just clean it up and build it up a bit without breaking the bank because logically speaking it would be the better option down the road
Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have to be very dumb or very rich and dumb if your thinking of building a na modular motor , especially a Ford.
If you want high NA power, drop a Chevy in there. If not .. Do a supercharger and spend a lot less money, and time.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

No it's not just drop in and plug and play,

A lot of little ****

That's the point. If you've been following this thread, you'd know that the point is not to make huge power, just more than stock. The guy that started the thread said that was his intention as well. If someone wants huge power, go ahead and throw a blower or a couple of hair dryers on either a 2V or 4V and you'll have 450-600 hp respectively--- easy and with only about $5000 investment. Some people just want another 100 or so hp above stock and bolt ons are relatively easy and much more fun to do than just throwing on a blower... My opinion....
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well if I can find a cheap 4v engine around me then I'll just clean it up and build it up a bit without breaking the bank because logically speaking it would be the better option down the road

Of course! But I thought you said you already had $$$ invested in your current motor? If not, get the 4V
Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

HP estimate

I do have some money in the bolt ons yes, which is why I was throwing around the idea of building the 2v but if I can find a good 4 v for cheap I wouldn't pass it, but I'm not going to pay huge amounts out of pocket you know. I'm keeping an open mind for the build but more than likely I'll just stick with the 2v. Unless something happens along with a 4v as I said earlier. Who knows lol I have to save up first. Which is why I'm open to suggestions from all angles
Old 03-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Nothing better than a head, cammed and high compression V8

HID end all thread
Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Nothing better than a head, cammed and high compression V8

Do that and throw a 100 shot on and you'll most likely be outrunning cars with much more horsepower than you.

HID end all thread
Old 03-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah nitrous would be fun if the bottom end is built to handle it lol
Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Yeah nitrous would be fun if the bottom end is built to handle it lol

Stock bottom end will handle a 100-125 shot just fine.

HID end all thread
Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm good to know for the future, I've never messed with nitrous before so I'll have to dot research on it but I got plenty of time for that lol
Old 03-27-2014, 01:18 AM   #29
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Hmmm good to know for the future, I've never messed with nitrous before so I'll have to dot research on it but I got plenty of time for that lol

If you want to learn more about Nitrous talk to Rapinator or Ish.

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT