Black/White Smoke When Revved - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Black/White Smoke When Revved

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Attachment 152368Attachment 152369

Another way to see if you have to replace the fuel rubber thingy.

Wow mine isn't anything like this lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You have every symptom of a sticking EGR valve.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Prolly never sticks at the Shop though huh? LOL... or UGHHH...

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Lol, can't fill it up or I'll lose Half of it. Bought the grommet from LMR. When I get a day off I'm gonna drop the tank and replace it. I do have a check engine light on. Don't know if it's because of the gas leak. Something to do with the evap.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Lol, can't fill it up or I'll lose Half of it. Bought the grommet from LMR. When I get a day off I'm gonna drop the tank and replace it. I do have a check engine light on. Don't know if it's because of the gas leak. Something to do with the evap.
That"ll throw a light.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Got my oil changed so the timing chain is pretty much out. Still detonating.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Girlfriend said she saw small amount of white smoke when I went to get my oil changed. I made a 50-60miles trip yesterday and it doesn't look like I lost much or any water. We will see I guess. My friends dad didn't think it was a blown gasket, he said smoke is normal and water is prolly condensation. He told me to check for the bubbles and some other things. Told him temp is fine. He wanted to know if the water was sweet smelling or not. It wasn't. He has been pretty deep in motors and even made a automatic into a manual.

It's reassuring but you guys are saying it make be a gasket. There's really no other way to tell right? Just wait to see if it uses more coolant. I filled it up with distilled water that's ok right?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

There is a way to check there is a tool that uses liquid and looks like a big turkey baster (lol) and u unzcrew the tank cap and stick it in there with car running and if it changes color then u have blown head gasket ( it changes color upon contact with exhaust gases) also can check compression of the motor with a compression check im suspect on it being just condensation tho mine does it to from time to time and i work on cars for a living, my car is also detonating and have had my car on scanner and maf sensor works right so does iat sensor, coolant temp sensors and egr all works as it should and no carbon on pistons and new pi heads ( did it be4 the head swap so its not the heads) when i figure it out on the detonating ill fill u in cause its same detonating sound that u described mine kicks in at like 3k rpms stops at 3500 then comes back at 4200 rpms then stops at 4500 again under a load of caurse doesnt do it free revving
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyreaper View Post
There is a way to check there is a tool that uses liquid and looks like a big turkey baster (lol) and u unzcrew the tank cap and stick it in there with car running and if it changes color then u have blown head gasket ( it changes color upon contact with exhaust gases) also can check compression of the motor with a compression check im suspect on it being just condensation tho mine does it to from time to time and i work on cars for a living, my car is also detonating and have had my car on scanner and maf sensor works right so does iat sensor, coolant temp sensors and egr all works as it should and no carbon on pistons and new pi heads ( did it be4 the head swap so its not the heads) when i figure it out on the detonating ill fill u in cause its same detonating sound that u described mine kicks in at like 3k rpms stops at 3500 then comes back at 4200 rpms then stops at 4500 again under a load of caurse doesnt do it free revving

When you find out please let me know. Does this sound like a blown gasket to you also? I feel like if I took it to a mechanic then I could spent a grand in them just trouble shootin it. My doesn't do it on free rev either, except mine will do it when I has it to about 3-3.5k then it goes away. Only on the lower rpm does it do it.

I was told fuel filter and something in my fuel system so maybe you can try looking at that..

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
When you find out please let me know. Does this sound like a blown gasket to you also? I feel like if I took it to a mechanic then I could spent a grand in them just trouble shootin it. My doesn't do it on free rev either, except mine will do it when I has it to about 3-3.5k then it goes away. Only on the lower rpm does it do it.

I was told fuel filter and something in my fuel system so maybe you can try looking at that..
Ok. Things are looking up!
If it's NOT using any water, it's probably not the head gasket. Your friends dad may be correct and you are seeing condensation. I've heard that the fuel blend, used in many places, is more prone to creating moisture in the exhaust than it was in the past.
My car creates a LOT of steam at times. It doesn't use a drop of coolant though.
You still need to keep an eye on the coolant level...

You should flush out the radiator. You mentioned in a previous post that the coolant looked brown. That means that it is rusty and any coolant that was in there is "worn out". I like to flush my cooling system using distilled water. If you live in an area that has "hard" water (Lots of minerals) it can cause the aluminum in the system to corrode VERY quickly, the worst of which, is the heater core. I just drain the system (Disconnecting the lower radiator hose is fastest), fill it up with distilled water let it run until it warms up, let it cool back down (So you don't get scalded!) drain it again and repeat until the water comes out clear. Then refill with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water, remember that there will be some PURE water trapped in the system so go a little heavy on the coolant. It, actually, wouldn't hurt to put MOSTLY coolant.
And remember, keep an eye on the coolant level!

So I guess now we need to figure out the detonation problem, huh?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Ok. Things are looking up!

If it's NOT using any water, it's probably not the head gasket. Your friends dad may be correct and you are seeing condensation. I've heard that the fuel blend, used in many places, is more prone to creating moisture in the exhaust than it was in the past.

My car creates a LOT of steam at times. It doesn't use a drop of coolant though.

You still need to keep an eye on the coolant level...

You should flush out the radiator. You mentioned in a previous post that the coolant looked brown. That means that it is rusty and any coolant that was in there is "worn out". I like to flush my cooling system using distilled water. If you live in an area that has "hard" water (Lots of minerals) it can cause the aluminum in the system to corrode VERY quickly, the worst of which, is the heater core. I just drain the system (Disconnecting the lower radiator hose is fastest), fill it up with distilled water let it run until it warms up, let it cool back down (So you don't get scalded!) drain it again and repeat until the water comes out clear. Then refill with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water, remember that there will be some PURE water trapped in the system so go a little heavy on the coolant. It, actually, wouldn't hurt to put MOSTLY coolant.

And remember, keep an eye on the coolant level!

So I guess now we need to figure out the detonation problem, huh?

Absolutely will keep an eye on it. I'll let you know if it drops more. I used distilled water and am not sure about the minerals (I live in north Texas)? I will be flushing it this next weekend, can it wait til then? My friends dad told us about this in aluminum engines, but I wasn't sure on it and we didn't have time to drain it and go get coolant. Glad to hear he knows what he's talking about.

The detonation really needs fixed but I haven't had much luck on here with help and ideas. My thread I made on it only had roguestangs's help, and a tiny bit from a kid that got banned. Because if this I was figuring I needed to being it into a mechanic.

Will probably change the fuel filter this weekend also... Not sure if that's bad or not, but he knows cars a little more than me.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Haha. That's why I use distilled, you dont have to wonder about the mineral content... There are none!
It can wait for the weekend, and, by then, you'll know if it's using coolant for sure.

Mos already hit on one thing that can cause mysterious detonation problems... The EGR valve.
There's a lot of collective experience on this forum so hopefully we'll be able to figure out the problem.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha. That's why I use distilled, you dont have to wonder about the mineral content... There are none!
It can wait for the weekend, and, by then, you'll know if it's using coolant for sure.

Mos already hit on one thing that can cause mysterious detonation problems... The EGR valve.
There's a lot of collective experience on this forum so hopefully we'll be able to figure out the problem.

Glad it can wait, and I would love to figure it out on here. The only thing I am short of is time with full time college and full time work. How much is the egr valve to replace, and where exactly is it? Difficult to replace?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

EGR is about 50-$90 depending on brand. It's right on top of the engine, so relatively easy to replace.
I'll look at the repair manual when I get a chance and see what it says about detonation so we can maybe narrow it down closer.
Some of the other guys will have some ideas as well.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Roguestang's guess was it's something wrong in the fuel system somewhere. I am going to try and replace the fuel filter soon. I am using 93 octane on the stock tune right now..

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Do a fuel pressure test first before you spend money. Although a new fuel filter is always good.. Check the fuel pressure regulator too. Carefully pull the vacuum hose on top of it and check for wet fuel or gas smell. That's easy and free

Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

I heard of fuel injectors staying stuck open too. IDK much about that but what the heck?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post
Do a fuel pressure test first before you spend money. Although a new fuel filter is always good.. Check the fuel pressure regulator too. Carefully pull the vacuum hose on top of it and check for wet fuel or gas smell. That's easy and free

Pretty much lost on this one. Like I said, I know a very shallow pool of things that have to do with cars.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Here are some of the more common causes of detonation.

1. Incorrect grade of fuel.
2. Carbon build-up.
3. Incorrect spark plugs.
4. Fuel injection or engine control systems malfunction.
5. Restricted exhaust system.

On these cars, I think there would be a code for the EGR, so lets leave that out for now.

Since you don't know the history of the car, it's probably best to start with a COMPLETE tune-up. Spark plugs, coil boots and springs, air and fuel filters, clean TB and MAF.
We might be trying to diagnose something that could be as simple as a bad spark plug here...
The coolant looked like crap so thats a good indication that none of the maintenance has been kept up on the car. I think that you need to get all of the basics squared away and then go from there.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:17 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Lean mixture causes detonation too. A bad valve cover gasket or a leaking exhaust (before the 02s) can throw EFI readings. I had a leaky valve cover gasket w an exhaust leak. Not a smooth running motor. I fixed both and my Stang runs so smooth... Inspect your gaskets. Why not right?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Lol valve cover gasket would only leak oil not cause any running issues really, the leaking exhaust however will. Yes i would replace fuel filter and take care of the coolant being nasty as that is good maint upkeep and do urself a favor and change plugs and wires also, if ur maf is dirty u can clean the lil fine wires with rubbing alchahol and a qtip and be gentle so u dont break the fine wires that stretch across, i dont think u have a blown headgasket u would have went thru a full tank of water by now especially if u drive it everyday but still keep an eye on it just in case, my detonation may be from exhaust backpressure as i still have the factory headers and mid pipe and its a 96 so its old and the.cats are prob half clogged by now my car has the tranny out goin thru a clutch issue atm so its a hold on finding the detonation prob untill its driving again lol
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Well.. I put new valve cover gaskets on and the PCV side gasket didn't seat properly. I noticed a huge difference when I sealed that side up properly.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

How are your air intake clamps? Between the MAF and TB? Extra air is extra air. (I'm posting to much on here) LOL... I found some hair line slices in mine when i got it. The guy before me stripped out every hose clamp and every vacuun connection was loose. I get awesome MPG now.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How are your air intake clamps? Between the MAF and TB? Extra air is extra air. (I'm posting to much on here) LOL... I found some hair line slices in mine when i got it. The guy before me stripped out every hose clamp and every vacuun connection was loose. I get awesome MPG now.

You're not posting too much, I need the help. Although I don't understand all the terms you say, I still appreciate the help.

The air intake clamps, like on the cover around my air filter?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here are some of the more common causes of detonation.

1. Incorrect grade of fuel.

2. Carbon build-up.

3. Incorrect spark plugs.

4. Fuel injection or engine control systems malfunction.

5. Restricted exhaust system.

On these cars, I think there would be a code for the EGR, so lets leave that out for now.

Since you don't know the history of the car, it's probably best to start with a COMPLETE tune-up. Spark plugs, coil boots and springs, air and fuel filters, clean TB and MAF.

We might be trying to diagnose something that could be as simple as a bad spark plug here...

The coolant looked like crap so thats a good indication that none of the maintenance has been kept up on the car. I think that you need to get all of the basics squared away and then go from there.

Just the way I like it: in list form. Lol

Number 1 is checked off. 93 octane shell gas with stock tune

Number 2 will be done this weekend. I am going to go ahead and run seafoam through a vacuum hose.

Number 3 could be a possible thing. The dealer which I bought it from I think changed them, but who knows if they actually did them right or put the right ones in. I mean they couldn't even speak English lol.

Not sure how to really check number 4

Number 5 seems unlikely, but how could I even tell.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

The Throttle body, the clamp that holds the Air Intake on. And the MAF Sensor clamp that holds the Same Air Intake tube. Any sign of dry cracked, tiny slices. Are the connections clean and not loose? People over tighten the clamps sometimes. Then you need new ones.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Throttle body, the clamp that holds the Air Intake on. And the MAF Sensor clamp that holds the Same Air Intake tube. Any sign of dry cracked, tiny slices. Are the connections clean and not loose? People over tighten the clamps sometimes. Then you need new ones.

I'll take a look at it. I am basically goin to show this whole thread to my friend so he can take a look and try to understand it better than me.

How will that stuff cause detonation?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyreaper View Post
Lol valve cover gasket would only leak oil not cause any running issues really, the leaking exhaust however will. Yes i would replace fuel filter and take care of the coolant being nasty as that is good maint upkeep and do urself a favor and change plugs and wires also, if ur maf is dirty u can clean the lil fine wires with rubbing alchahol and a qtip and be gentle so u dont break the fine wires that stretch across, i dont think u have a blown headgasket u would have went thru a full tank of water by now especially if u drive it everyday but still keep an eye on it just in case, my detonation may be from exhaust backpressure as i still have the factory headers and mid pipe and its a 96 so its old and the.cats are prob half clogged by now my car has the tranny out goin thru a clutch issue atm so its a hold on finding the detonation prob untill its driving again lol

Wouldn't my car send codes if it had to do with the exhaust causing this? I have stock everything but with flowmaster mufflers welded in.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Most detonation is from a LEAN air/fuel mixture. You're getting to much air or not enough gas. Rule out Vacuum connections and air leaks. And still do a thorough fuel pressure test. Low fuel pressure also = more air than fuel.
Other causes- bad spark plugs wires. (at night time, pop the hood with motor running, inspect for sparks around plug wires).
Possibly a cracked spark plug insulator or just a loose plug. All easy free stuff to inspect.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Did you check for codes thrown? I've heard of check engine lights going on and off. A code can point you in the right direction. Is your coil pack ground cleab? It gets corroded under them. Clogged cats cause detonation. I had a bad muffler for two years and no one could figure it out. Are your mufflers on the right way? In flow/out flow. If they're on backwards, that sure will back up your system. There should be an arrow on the mufflers pointing in the right direction. Climb under there and check. People overlook the common sense stuff. But I really think you need to rule out fuel pressure.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you check for codes thrown? I've heard of check engine lights going on and off. A code can point you in the right direction. Is your coil pack ground cleab? It gets corroded under them. Clogged cats cause detonation. I had a bad muffler for two years and no one could figure it out. Are your mufflers on the right way? In flow/out flow. If they're on backwards, that sure will back up your system. There should be an arrow on the mufflers pointing in the right direction. Climb under there and check. People overlook the common sense stuff. But I really think you need to rule out fuel pressure.

Only codes I've thrown is a p1450, and p1000 which is a tattle tale code.

How can I tell if my cats clogged or not, and wouldn't that throw a code? I will check my mufflers. Not sure where exactly my could are. I will take a look at those also though.

I can't remember - did you tell me how to check my fuel pressure?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Let's slow down a bit here.
#1 has been eliminated, and almost any fuel shouldn't cause much of a problem with the stock tune.
#2 Is a possibility. I don't remember if you mentioned how many miles are on the car?
#3 Spark plugs. This would be the FIRST thing that I would check. Again, depending on the miles on the car, they may have never been changed. Also, you can get an indication of how the car is running by looking at the plugs. For instance, if this engine had a bad head gasket, probably, one or two of the plugs would be a different color than the rest.
I'm not a fan of using seafoam, especially unnecessarily, and the recommended procedure for removing carbon build-up in the cylinders is to remove the heads.
#4 Fuel injection or engine control systems malfunction is pretty broad. That would cover anything from a clogged fuel filter to a bad PCM.
#5 Restricted exhaust system. Another possibility. Again, miles on car? I don't know how you would test for it but when it happened to me, not only did it lose a lot of power on top, but the exhaust sounded different as well.

I'd, at least, pull one or two of the spark plugs out and have a look at them before I used any seafoam...

But, personally, I would never use seafoam...
Old 04-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Let's slow down a bit here.

#1 has been eliminated, and almost any fuel shouldn't cause much of a problem with the stock tune.

#2 Is a possibility. I don't remember if you mentioned how many miles are on the car?

#3 Spark plugs. This would be the FIRST thing that I would check. Again, depending on the miles on the car, they may have never been changed. Also, you can get an indication of how the car is running by looking at the plugs. For instance, if this engine had a bad head gasket, probably, one or two of the plugs would be a different color than the rest.

I'm not a fan of using seafoam, especially unnecessarily, and the recommended procedure for removing carbon build-up in the cylinders is to remove the heads.

#4 Fuel injection or engine control systems malfunction is pretty broad. That would cover anything from a clogged fuel filter to a bad PCM.

#5 Restricted exhaust system. Another possibility. Again, miles on car? I don't know how you would test for it but when it happened to me, not only did it lose a lot of power on top, but the exhaust sounded different as well.

I'd, at least, pull one or two of the spark plugs out and have a look at them before I used any seafoam...

But, personally, I would never use seafoam...

Car has 118k on it, but doesn't really misfire or anything. If they weren't change then they def need it but I was under the impression they were changed out. Can't trust anyone though.

I also would like to point out that after going back to my stock tune from 93 the detonation is a lot less prominent. Which it should be. Definitely still there though. It just makes me cringe a little less now lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Do you know how to tell if a used car salesman is lying?

His lips will be moving...
Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you know how to tell if a used car salesman is lying?

His lips will be moving...

True story. Lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT