2003 GT problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:22 AM   #1

Region: California
2003 GT problems

Hey Guys,
I just had a few quick questions to see if anyone has ever had the same problems i am having right now with my 2003..? I had recently driven my mustang and later that day had gotten back in to drive again, and all the sudden all power to my car was killed.. I first thought maybe it was the alternator or the battery right? nope both had checked out as passing.. so i pretty much came to a stand still not really knowing where to go from there.. people said try the starter.. or check the main elecrtical fuse.. sadly i am out of town right now and am no where near my baby.. anyway was just trying to pick up some tips from real mustang enthusiats.. any and all advice would be very much appreciated..

Thanks, Zach
madinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by madinkins View Post
Hey Guys,
I just had a few quick questions to see if anyone has ever had the same problems i am having right now with my 2003..? I had recently driven my mustang and later that day had gotten back in to drive again, and all the sudden all power to my car was killed.. I first thought maybe it was the alternator or the battery right? nope both had checked out as passing.. so i pretty much came to a stand still not really knowing where to go from there.. people said try the starter.. or check the main elecrtical fuse.. sadly i am out of town right now and am no where near my baby.. anyway was just trying to pick up some tips from real mustang enthusiats.. any and all advice would be very much appreciated..

Thanks, Zach
I just had a similar problem, (turns off automatically, steering wheel gets hard), i switched out the fule filter and so far its solved my problem.
Some folks here suggested me to check any codes, vacuum leak, maf, little things like those.
to_oaxaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Use a testlight and check ur fuses or just pull them and look if u dont have a test light more then likely if all ur electrical was shut off then u have a blown fuse , if it does it again then u have a short somewhere and need to find it but first things first is to find the popped fuse
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 AM   #4

I appreciate the replies, i will definitely have to look in to those, when i get back. I forgot to mention in the first message i posted, have any of you guys ever heard of a car alarm system tripping or shorting out to a point to where it will shut off all power to a car?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ive heard of a alarm cuttin off a car from malfunctioning but not kill power to the whole car like if ur alarm was the culprot ud still have lights and all but no start
Old 04-01-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Do you have a second key? Ive heard that its possible for the computer chip in your key can go bad. Another "God forbid" (I'm not suggesting taking your steeering wheel apart) is that sometimes the wiring gets messed up in the column from tilting the steering wheel up and down. Go easy with that one. Check your battery terminals. Thats the easiest test good luck. Let us know when you find the issue.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Im sure that the dealer can check your key for you as well. Rule that one out. Look up "PATS" issues on your year Mustang. It sure does sound like thats the problem.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

With the pats he would still have power to the car it would also crank but die immediately and the theft light would flash fast, he said he has no power at all in his first post
Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Check the main power wire connection into the fuse box. That's all I got.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

If this was already said above theb sorry dont mean any offense didn't have time to read it all

if it is related to the "pats" system it wouldn't allow it to start the car. With mine being a 2000 when I first got in the car it wouldn't start with the theft light blinking. So if it was related to the pats system the "theft" like would blink really past letting you know there is a fault. Have you noticed the "theft" light blinking really fast when it shuts off? Mine would allow the engine to turn over but not start. If the light isn't blinking really fast then I don't think it is pats related.

Sounds like to me a ground has broken off some where causing the pcm to loose ground. Does any lights or etc work when it shuts down?

After it died did it start back up later on ?
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 AM   #11

Well, the most i could gather when i was trying to figure it out was. When it first died on me, it hasnt started once since, wont even turn over, just complete loss of power since the first time it died.. and even when i put my key into the ignition nothing electrical on the car works at all.. no radio, no lights no brake lights nothing at all.. i have been thinking and it may be the aftermarket radio i installed earlier a few weeks before it died on me. i put in a brand new pioneer radio hub.. nothing special just the faceplate because my old radio died on me too.. go figure.hah but i put the new radio hub in and it installed nicely and worked and then approxiamately 2 weeks later thats when i came to this problem where my car wont even start.. so i think i may have a short somewhere.. or a ground problem. so if i did have a ground issue.. and i replaced the fuse that got blown if and only if that is the problem.. i am guessing that it would possibly blow again in the future.. and i would know that, that was the problem all together. because i dont think i mentioned it before and i apologize for not doing so. but ever since she died on me originally, i have not been able to start it at all. has no power at all. zip zero power.. so thats why i thought maybe it was a blown fuse.. i dont know any other opinions? anything helps.

Thanks guys,
Zach
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
have u even tried a boost -_- sounds like the battery is just dead or junked. put a new battery in or boost the car. I bet it starts rite up... smh
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I dont think its ur radio as its on a seperate circuit and has its own fuse i suspect ur connection to the battery is bad check ur positive and negative cables make sure they are tight they may look tight but not be that tight its either fhat or a main fuse is blown
Old 04-03-2014, 04:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yup.. people always think way to much into there problems.. if no power at all to anything is the issue then its the battery 9/10 times... charge ur battery, get a boost, check your connections.. if still nothing check fuses but yeah that's about all it would be
Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It could be the harness that travels above the egr tube. On my 96 the egr tube burned off the coating of the wires exposing them and making a short to ground on the egr pipe which blew my eec fuse every time. It would shut the car off and not allow it to start. Just my 2ยข
Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If its blowing fuses then i would start with looking at what fuse it blows. Look through a wiring diagram of all the components related with the fuse and start looking for exposed wires touching anything ground or other metal like chassis egine etc.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

yup but before you do any of that... get some cables hook the battery up to your moms mini van, get a boost and see if it starts... then tell me how it does
Old 04-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #18

Alright, just for clarification for some people, i definitely had the battery checked and charged on my (MOMS MINIVAN).. and put back in to the car and had the alternator checked and both passed, so yes i did start small. thank you very much. but anyways the battery and the alternator are not the problem. and also had it jumped off by another vehicle. so i appreciate the advice 1996 mustang.. yours was actually beneficial..
Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

so if it was helpful what did you do to get it running again
Old 05-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Hey guys so now im having that PATS problem, how do i fix it?
to_oaxaca is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT