Doctors Appointment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Doctors Appointment

uggggh so I recently moved city's and in order to insure my car here
I need to have an inspection/emissions test done...
2000 GT .
Now based on the inspection I will/ may need to get some work done to the car to receive the certification for the inspection.
Car is basically stock .. 14 years old... and has never had to go threw this before...
iim nervous to bring her in lol but I guess having someone check the car out is a good thing, lets me know where she stands...
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well if the car is stock and has all emissions components in place with. It check engine code you should be good buddy.
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

just took the car to a self serve car wash and washed it up.. washed underneath and the wheel wells to clean up all the winter grime so the mechanic should be happy.. I am not worried about emissions.. just would rather not fix a bunch of small stuff he may find... car runs and drives well stops.. cant really complain.. so if he turns around and says I need 1-2k of work ill be choked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know what you mean man
Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know what you mean man
Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You must be in Nazifornia... If all your factory emissions stuff is in place and functioning with no codes you should pass no problem.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yeah its not emissions that I am worried about...
every used vehicle I have owned when brought in for inspection
have been told I need.. new ball joint or shock or strut or... or new this or that. we will see hopefully nothing needs to be replaced after 14 years lol
Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Where the hell do you live that requires all that? Screw that... I mean I would love to see some of the death trap really should not be on the road cars yanked off but it still seems a little excessive.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Where the hell do you live that requires all that? Screw that... I mean I would love to see some of the death trap really should not be on the road cars yanked off but it still seems a little excessive.

California! Where everything is illegal or expensive! Haha. It is a beautiful state, though..
Old 04-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep, Nazifornia.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

so went to the shop today.. made my appointment for 3pm tomorrow...
will cost roughly 100 dollars for certification and emissions test.. certification is valid for 36 days and e test for 2 years..
so that's 100 dollars assuming he doesn't make me fix anything.. and well.. im sure he will find a way to make a few dollars while he is under there... uggh don't really want to be putting any money into the car rite now since I plan to make a lot of changes in the future and cant exactly afford what I am going for at the moment .. may need to get oem parts to get the car insured... witch only sets me back further in the long run
Old 04-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

If I lived in California I'd never get anything that wasn't exempt as a classic/historic if they even have those exemptions out there. Like... if you have a car that never came with seat belts from the factory from way back in the day do they make you retrofit them?

And what you are saying about the mechanic is EXACTLY why this sort of thing is ****ing terrible. You've got a mechanic who knows you HAVE to do what he says or the gov't gives him the power to make your car illegal on the spot. So of course he is going to find stuff even if its still technically good.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep, Nazifornia.
I prefer "Liberalfornia"...

No. We don't have any mandatory safety inspections here... just the emissions.
Except, in the case of a salvage title, you need a headlight and brake inspection when the vehicle is initially registered.
They do that inspection stuff to the north of here.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
If I lived in California I'd never get anything that wasn't exempt as a classic/historic if they even have those exemptions out there. Like... if you have a car that never came with seat belts from the factory from way back in the day do they make you retrofit them?

And what you are saying about the mechanic is EXACTLY why this sort of thing is ****ing terrible. You've got a mechanic who knows you HAVE to do what he says or the gov't gives him the power to make your car illegal on the spot. So of course he is going to find stuff even if its still technically good.

It's just emissions that is tough. There is none of those yearly inspections other states have.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Our NJ test for OBDII cars is plug in and if you get on emissions codes they do a quick gas cap pressure check slap a sticker on the window and tell you to come back in 2 years. If you have OBD1 you need the sniffer which is a pain in the dick and the reason I am in a modular right now in this state. I am starting to poke around at foxes again though since I would LOVE a late 80s notch and they are at 25 years young now and are exempt from everything as classics. Lol the SN95 is going to hit classic status before the decade ends...

Old 04-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No not from cali..
But yeah for initial registration on vehicles 7 years or older need an inspection..
yup that's the ****ty thing, I am not going to pay 100 twice so unless he comes up with a bunch of issues its not like I will get a second opinion... hopefully he says the car is all good.. if he says shocks and struts or ball joints or something then I may just get some quality aftermarket parts... I am sure he will tell me how much better oem parts are and that he can get me parts at cost or something lol I will just hit up AM or something
Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

appointment is for 3 tomorrow.. he said come in sooner if I can in case there is work to be done.. lol I am not sure if I will get him to do any work tomorrow because I can probably get better parts myself..
Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
All this testing is just another way for the government to rape you for more money. I live in Tennessee and we have to do the emissions test. They say it is to keep bad running cars off the road but it doesn't. Especially those pos diesels that bellow thick clouds of smoke.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:08 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Go in and start talking about how your father is a retired mechanic and how the two of you are going to restore the car this summer and make it like new. That way he'll know up front that he won't be doing the work and that you have someone knowledgeable to give you a second opinion.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm moving from AZ to CA in a month, thankfully I am military so I will be registering my vehicles in my home of record, FL. Don't want to deal with any of that CAinspection nonsense.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I'm so glad I live in a rural part of Indiana, where nobody cares about anything.

That said, if there were emissions testing, 85% of the used cars and trucks here would fail.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInstinct View Post
California! Where everything is illegal or expensive! Haha. It is a beautiful state, though..

+1000
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
All this testing is just another way for the government to rape you for more money. I live in Tennessee and we have to do the emissions test. They say it is to keep bad running cars off the road but it doesn't. Especially those pos diesels that bellow thick clouds of smoke.

Ikr? Diesels can blow clouds of black smoke, motorcycles can have loud enough exhaust to break a window, but we can't have either. Texas here.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

+1... Government enforced things really make "the people" in a spot to be taken advantage of. Either way you're gonna get screwed. Sorta like something else that the gvt has enforced here lately...

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #25
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I am not sure how it works in most states, as Georgia only requires emissions,but I assume you can get it inspected and if it doesn't pass you can fix the issues yourself and take it back.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #26
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
+1... Government enforced things really make "the people" in a spot to be taken advantage of. Either way you're gonna get screwed. Sorta like something else that the gvt has enforced here lately...
Couldn't agree more!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Go in and start talking about how your father is a retired mechanic and how the two of you are going to restore the car this summer and make it like new. That way he'll know up front that he won't be doing the work and that you have someone knowledgeable to give you a second opinion.
You just go in and if he lists X Y and Z are wrong you go "ok thanks I'll go fix it" and DIY or have someone you trust or whatever do it. Just keep receipts of the parts so if the guy is like "that's not new" you can show him "yes it is".

Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
In Michigan we don't have any of that we just have ****ty roads and bad weather
Top stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top stang View Post
In Michigan we don't have any of that we just have ****ty roads and bad weather
And the Incredible Dr. Pol

Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You just go in and if he lists X Y and Z are wrong you go "ok thanks I'll go fix it" and DIY or have someone you trust or whatever do it. Just keep receipts of the parts so if the guy is like "that's not new" you can show him "yes it is".
Id want to send a CLEAR message to him BEFORE he writes up his "wish list" of things that he can fix on FA's car, in hopes of making enough cash to be able to afford that "dream date" with an internet hooker named "Luscious", that he will not be doing any work on the car whatsoever.
I wouldn't want to have to fix a bunch of stuff that is only "marginally" bad...

I recently moved to one of the few rural counties in California that does NOT require biennial emission testing.
The problem is, many of the roads are crap, along with all of the little towns in the area... I like to say that the best view of the area is from your rearview mirror...
Old 04-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #31
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Id want to send a CLEAR message to him BEFORE he writes up his "wish list" of things that he can fix on FA's car, in hopes of making enough cash to be able to afford that "dream date" with an internet hooker named "Luscious", that he will not be doing any work on the car whatsoever.
I wouldn't want to have to fix a bunch of stuff that is only "marginally" bad...

I recently moved to one of the few rural counties in California that does NOT require biennial emission testing.
The problem is, many of the roads are crap, along with all of the little towns in the area... I like to say that the best view of the area is from your rearview mirror...
Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Okay so I know its terrible to do but I skipped out on my appointment with that shop.. I donno just didn't get a good vibe from him.
Found a different shop closer to my home... 60 dollars and can do it tomorrow... 67.50 or something with tax.. not bad I guess!

Anyways asked this guy details.. He will do the inspection and if everything is good he will sign the inspection papers and were done...
IF there is work to be done I will not get the signed inspection rather I will just get a list of work that needs to be completed either by him or by myself.
If I can do the work within a few days he will inspect it and sign off..
If the work takes more then 1 week then he will have to charge me around 20-40 dollars to put it back up on the hoist and check my work over and make sure no new issues have arose in the mean time...
I am sure some work may need to be done it is 14 years old and all original lol
I am also happy with this, 67 dollars to have some go threw the entire car and tell me what's up isn't that bad.
My question is... if say he finds ball joints or a shock or front breaks or something needs replacing.. Is it better to take the car home... save up and get quality aftermarket parts... like if I need a shock .. would it be best to get a nice set with springs or just pay 100 bucks or whatever hes asking and get a replacement part and worry about upgrades later... I guess it depends what he finds.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT