Teenagers mistake.... - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack44 View Post
I have an update. The head gasket was blown. Blown so bad that it was a 16th of an inch warped. Found a used motor and just got it put in. Now the catalytic converter glows red hot. The guy that out the motor in says it's a plugged cat. I called the local shop that puts them in. They said if the car isn't running good then it can make the cat do that and not be plugged. My son did put a CAI on it too. I'm still not a mechanic lol.

A Google search comes up with:

1. Plugged cat.
2. Too much fuel getting into the exhaust and being burned off for other reasons, too rich, etc.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
cat delete and a tune
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I've learned not to listen to "mechanics". Google is my best friend. And YouTube. You'll be surprised at the things you can learn on the internet. Honestly, don't get your hopes up on the gasket. I don't think you're that deep in it. Do a complete refresh on the car since it's been sitting. All new fluids, drain it, flush it, run some seafoam through it, run some stop leak through the coolant tank and have him run it hard a time or two. I've never seen a blown head gasket NOT boil smoke and burn oil from under the hood as well. I could be wrong though. I'm certainly no expert. I'm just saying you can't always go by what a "mechanic" tells you. My motor had a tick, a mechanic tried to tell me it was my lifters, then it was the tension arm and timing chain, then it was the injectors...I finally stopped listening to his ignorance and just got under there myself and found out it was the PCVS. $50 is way cheaper than replacing the timing system and still not solving the issue. Thankfully, I'm stubborn lol. These guys here have been quite helpful. So at least you're asking the right people lol
Grimace96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

whats a PCVS and how did it cause your engine to tick

I Figured you meant PCV VALVE but I don't think that would
make any noise... and $50? nope cant be that...
Maybe my mind isn't working rite now lol but wtf is a pcvs?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Purge Control Valve Solenoid. How!? I have no clue. But it was dang sure the solution to that annoying obnoxious noise. Thanks to weeks of Google and YouTube videos I finally ran across a guy with the same problem. Thought for sure it was his injectors, even did the same as me with the stethoscope and still swore the noise was coming from there. But. A friend pointed the solution out to him and it fixed it. And now it has fixed mine as well. All I can think of is that maybe the noise was transferring from the valve to the injectors somehow through the vacuum hoses? Idk. Problem solved though. Lol. Mechanics are garbage. I had to learn the hard way to just figure it out myself. Especially with me being YOUNG and a female, they tend to take advantage of that. But not this gal. :p
Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

that's what was making the tick?... interesting..

can I see this youtube video
Old 05-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

Yes it's a different car but all cars work the same.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

hmm can you post a video of your car not ticking now.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Well. I would. However I'm dirty as *#%* in the O'Reily's parking lot changing out the driver ball joint.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:57 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I say you just sell the car and get him a ranger I know what I would have done with a mustang when I was 17. And if you do want to sell it I need a project. But seriously head gaskets suck and god only knows what else the previous owner tore up I'd replace the engine and do a rebuilt 4.6 out of a Lincoln mark 8
2002gtmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT