seafoam - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
seafoam

just realised I have been watching seafoam youtube videos for the past like 3 hours lol always wanted to do the full treatment but have mixed feelings...
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
As long as you do it correctly and a little at a time and change the oil right afterwards you will be good. Be prepared for a smokeshow.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I know i've heard bad things about seafoam. What is the intention of seafoam, and what are the potential hazards to your engine?
Jrh2592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I hear great and bad things and watched soo many youtube videos lastnight loool and you can find just as much fails as successes so I don't think I will even chance it.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I've ran seafoam in several vehicles, the cars typically make less engine noise and run smoother after getting the seafoam treatment.

It's good stuff and it works.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

What are the potential risks to using it though? I just am not familiar with the process
Jrh2592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Old 04-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrh2592 View Post
What are the potential risks to using it though? I just am not familiar with the process
Use too much too quickly and bye bye engine.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

yeah hydrolock that biiizitch
Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I've used it on several cars and as long as you do it right its fine and can help clean some of the gunk. I generally put half the bottle in the gas tank and then half in the break booster. Right after adding half through the break booster I cut the car off let it sit and then drive it for 15-20 minutes to clear it out. And I've seen big improvement on MPG's and overall the way the engine runs. But its one of those things unless your car is dirty with gunk there is nothing for it to clean. So putting it through a brand new car doesn't make sense.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

this is -96-04 section so no new cars here
Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I've been wanting to try it but I've been told it doesn't work on cars with a really high amount of miles since the gunk is what's holding it together.
Psikosocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psikosocial View Post
I've been wanting to try it but I've been told it doesn't work on cars with a really high amount of miles since the gunk is what's holding it together.
It really depends. If something is wrong and all the sludge is all that is holding a gasket together the car is on borrowed time anyway. I once had a 1980 K-5 Blazer that I hit with some carb cleaner when I got it to clean a ton of **** off of it and when I did it started leaking fuel like a mofo. Had to yank/rebuild the carb but that was an easy/cheap fix and less $$$ than getting it flatbedded home when the gunk finally let go.

I'm probably going to seafoam my 98 the next time I need to do the oil since the motor is pushing 80k miles and I'm not sure if the PO ever did it. I can ask him though I guess.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If you use it as directed on the can, you cant go wrong. It does help both fuel and oil systems. I drowned my o nine wrangler, had a tapping valve after and seafoam took care of it. Good stuff , if you use it in intervals, you extend the life of injectors as well.

Sent from my C811 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah intervals and keeping up with it is key. I mentioned in another thread its pretty much required to use seafoam every 10-15k if you have a B headed 4V because the secondary intake ports do not ever see any air/fuel mixture, just air. This means they get coated in soot/crud as there is no fuel to keep them washed out.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
It really depends. If something is wrong and all the sludge is all that is holding a gasket together the car is on borrowed time anyway. I once had a 1980 K-5 Blazer that I hit with some carb cleaner when I got it to clean a ton of **** off of it and when I did it started leaking fuel like a mofo. Had to yank/rebuild the carb but that was an easy/cheap fix and less $$$ than getting it flatbedded home when the gunk finally let go.

I'm probably going to seafoam my 98 the next time I need to do the oil since the motor is pushing 80k miles and I'm not sure if the PO ever did it. I can ask him though I guess.
Well my car has about 108k miles. Do you think I'm beyond the point of trying this stuff and it'll cause issues if I put it in?

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Psikosocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I would do it, at least if it removes the crud and causes something you know where you have bad gaskets etc. And it will only help otherwise.

Sent from my C811 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Here's my, rhetorical, question to all of the SeaFoam advocates:
When it breaks the carbon or sludge or whatever, loose from inside of the engine, where does all of the unwanted material go?

Into the exhaust right?
Have you ever seen what the inside of a catalytic converter looks like?
For those that haven't, there is a ceramic material that looks kind of like the honeycomb grill on your car, except the holes are tiny, about the diameter of a small nail.
It's almost like a filter...
If the cats are on the car and the engine is as dirty as you THINK that it is, the great majority of whatever comes loose from the engine will undoubtedly become trapped in the catalytic converters.

If the engine becomes so crudded up that it needs to be cleaned, the recommended procedure, from the service manual, is to take the top end (heads) off of the engine and to clean it manually.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

When it breaks the carbon or sludge or whatever, loose from inside of the engine, where does all of the unwanted material go?

Into the exhaust right?

For those that haven't, there is a ceramic material that looks kind of like the honeycomb grill on your car, except the holes are tiny, about the diameter of a small nail.

If the cats are on the car and the engine is as dirty as you THINK that it is, the great majority of whatever comes loose from the engine will undoubtedly become trapped in the catalytic converters.

If the engine becomes so crudded up that it needs to be cleaned, the recommended procedure, from the service manual, is to take the top end (heads) off of the engine and to clean it manually.

Off-road FTW.

HID end all thread
Old 04-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Into the exhaust right?

Every vehicle I've ever owned has had SeaFoam through them. My friends as well. Both domestic and Euro. Never had a single issue, only gains. Never clogged a cat or anything major either. The soot it cleans out is practically vaporized by the combustion and blown out as a giant cloud of white smoke. If SeaFoam would clog a cat, then so would smoking from a blown HG or trashed rings spitting oil out the Exhaust. The only real risks are fouling a plug, or pouring entirely too fast and hydrolocking the motor.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

First off. Sea foam works. Period.

Second. It takes a lot to hydro lock a motor with it - unless you're using a huge vac line

Third. The whole catalytic issue is a non issue at best. The sea foam turns the carbon deposits into a spongy material that heats up and breaks off . When it gets to your extremely hot catalytic converter, it burns up- hence the smoke show
SpeedMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder how many of you have actually taken a engine apart...

Scorpion, it's nice that you grace us with your presence every once in a while. If you have to Seafoam every car that you own... there's something wrong.
Take those b!tches out and drive them HARD every once in a while... it's a hell of a lot more fun than buying a bottle of Seafoam.
And how do you know that those engines even required a treatment? Did you look inside of the combustion chambers beforehand to find out?

SpeedMob, you've, obviously, never had the heads off of a high mileage engine... the carbon deposits DO NOT just melt away like "magic". You need to SCRAPE that crap off with a putty knife. And, it's CARBON. It has been in a HOT combustion chamber and you're trying to tell me that once the "snake oil" goes in, poof, it becomes vaporized.
I don't think so...

Again, I'll ask you guys, what evidence do you have, that makes you believe that your engines required this treatment? And, after the treatment, do you have any proof that your engine was any cleaner inside?

PROOF...

Not the warm, fuzzy, placebo effect.

I want actual proof.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Seafoam has done well for me in the cars and vans I used it, but, Startron has done better. Startron even got my lawn mower and my brother's chain saw running smoothly.
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
I wonder how many of you have actually taken a engine apart...

Scorpion, it's nice that you grace us with your presence every once in a while. If you have to Seafoam every car that you own... there's something wrong.
Take those b!tches out and drive them HARD every once in a while... it's a hell of a lot more fun than buying a bottle of Seafoam.
And how do you know that those engines even required a treatment? Did you look inside of the combustion chambers beforehand to find out?

SpeedMob, you've, obviously, never had the heads off of a high mileage engine... the carbon deposits DO NOT just melt away like "magic". You need to SCRAPE that crap off with a putty knife. And, it's CARBON. It has been in a HOT combustion chamber and you're trying to tell me that once the "snake oil" goes in, poof, it becomes vaporized.
I don't think so...

Again, I'll ask you guys, what evidence do you have, that makes you believe that your engines required this treatment? And, after the treatment, do you have any proof that your engine was any cleaner inside?

PROOF...

Not the warm, fuzzy, placebo effect.

I want actual proof.
Can you show proof that seafoam along with regular maintenance doesn't help keep systems running better? Have you torn down a motor and inspected it knowing seafoam was used in its life?

It's not the end all to engine maintenance. Simply an additive I use on occassion for additional cleaning. Most motors really do not have build up issues unless regular maintenance has been neglected.

Sent from my massive johnson.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I'll bet it worked good on the chain saw!
That's what those products were originally designed for... Two strokes.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Can you show proof that seafoam along with regular maintenance doesn't help keep systems running better? Have you torn down a motor and inspected it knowing seafoam was used in its life?

It's not the end all to engine maintenance. Simply an additive I use on occassion for additional cleaning. Most motors really do not have build up issues unless regular maintenance has been neglected.

Sent from my massive johnson.
I can not and I have no intention of doing so.
I've seen too many crusted up pistons and combustion chambers on high mileage engines to know better LF.
You've hit on the main point... most engines will never need it. And like Scotty said, if your going to use it, do it regularly.
I lump products like this into the same category as fuel injection cleaner, it makes you feel good while you're pouring it into your tank and that is the extent of what you are getting for your money.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Stray bullit
I am ford certified technician and an SVT certified tech. Please check my credentials at downs ford in toms river nj - 732-349-2240

My manage is joe pati and my tech number is 215

Now pipe down scooter
Old 04-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I can personally verify dyno numbers and emissions information on sea foam... It works and especially well for HIGHER MILEAGE ENGINES
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Also- any of you who would like to test this "snake oil" as straydumb**** called it. Next time you or your wife burn something on a pan or your stove and it's rock solid carbon- throw a drop of sea foam on it and watch what happens
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I used sea foam in my jeep and went form 13mpg to 12.3 and haven't noticed a difference at all in my engine performance
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Ty did you tune up afterwards or change any other components? Sometimes you may foul out plugs or not remove all deposits if it has only been done once
Old 04-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedMob View Post
Stray bullit
I am ford certified technician and an SVT certified tech. Please check my credentials at downs ford in toms river nj - 732-349-2240

Now pipe down scooter
Your credentials mean nothing to me. Some of the biggest idiots that I have ever seen were mechanics at Ford dealerships.
Also, if you can find, anywhere, in the service manual, where it says to use Seafoam, I'll fall over dead, in shock.
What does it say is the procedure to remove carbon build up SpeedMob?
Don't try to bull***** me newb... I've been at this game too long.

By the way, thanks for letting me know the dealership you work for, if I'm ever broken down near there, I'll be sure to get a tow to the next town that has a dealership for service...
Old 04-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #33
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedMob View Post
Stray bullit

Now pipe down scooter

HID end all thread
Old 04-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

lol I just called and asked to speak with joe...
they don't have anyone working there by that name -_-
Old 04-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

And no you didn't- they are closed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT