Pre Safety Inspection done - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Pre Safety Inspection done

Okay finally got it done.
He says I need
Right Front Wheel Baring
Licence plate lights
and Driver Side Door Hinge's

quotes me at $485

Charged me $67.80

He says.. If they do the work $485
If I do the work then I will have to
repay the $67.80 since they will need to
re inspect the car to make sure it was done
rite and that nothing new has occurred in
the mean time...

so what do you guys think about this?
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Drivers door hinges?

You can do the license plate lights...
They really have you over a barrel with those inspections, even if you do the work its $140. for inspection fees.
The front hub replacement requires a 250 ft/lb+ torque wrench. I don't know what's wrong with your door but if the hinges need to be replaced... It's probably a b!tch to do by yourself.
Did you ask if that price includes painting the hinges the correct color before installation?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That sucks safety inspection where I live they just glance at your car and give you the sticker no emissions test or anything like that lol. I would let them do the all to the work because if you do some of that stuff on your own they will still charge you another 60 bucks.
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I can take care of the lights lol
Hinges from first guy would be from the junk yard he said...
Thought about that and well they would probably be worn as well or getting there.. yeah the door sags down a bit kind of have to slam it to have it shut fully.. known issue but livable ..
and then yeah the wheel baring..

... I went to a different shop rite now and got a quote on the wheel baring and door hinges to be replaced... with these hinges straight from ford.
he quoted me around 500-530

so the prices seem to be about the same.

yeah I am kind of choked about the re payment of the $67..
uggh so looks like roughly 600 is going into the mustang
and that doesn't even include getting it registered, plated and blah blah.

ohhh so many better things I could spend my money on but I guess that's part of owning a car... upkeep
Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Pre Safety Inspection done

**** that I do not see how they can make you change that crap. Wow. This is what happens when you give away your freedom for security Jesus Christ.

I can even understand emissions and safety checks (like seatbelts and horns) a little more than that crap. You won't pass inspection because of a wheel bearing! Lol......

And since when does a sagging door affect anyone. I knew there were idiots in Cali but damn...

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
**** that I do not see how they can make you change that crap. Wow. This is what happens when you give away your freedom for security Jesus Christ.

I can even understand emissions and safety checks (like seatbelts and horns) a little more than that crap. You won't pass inspection because of a wheel bearing! Lol......

And since when does a sagging door affect anyone. I knew there were idiots in Cali but damn...
Again, FA is NOT in California. We don't have safety inspections here, only emissions testing.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Again, FA is NOT in California. We don't have safety inspections here, only emissions testing.

Where ever it is that's just ridiculous lol.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I agree its not cool.
Going to go to FORD today and order or buy the door hinges .. since that's where the other 2 shops I got estimates told me they would have to get them.
The first shop said he was going to get a pair from the junk yard.. at first I thought great... cheap ...
Unless they are ridiculous expensive...
wheel baring... I guess I could try NAPA or a auto parts store, they probably are all basically the same in price...
and even if I get the guy to do the work, at least I know he is using good parts and not junk yard crap..

see had bad feeling about a mechanic I had, skipped appointment, found another and he starts telling me he will be putting junk yard parts on my car!
wtf! haha cant I just find a good mechanic
Old 04-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
I agree its not cool.
Going to go to FORD today and order or buy the door hinges .. since that's where the other 2 shops I got estimates told me they would have to get them.
The first shop said he was going to get a pair from the junk yard.. at first I thought great... cheap ...
Unless they are ridiculous expensive...
wheel baring... I guess I could try NAPA or a auto parts store, they probably are all basically the same in price...
and even if I get the guy to do the work, at least I know he is using good parts and not junk yard crap..

see had bad feeling about a mechanic I had, skipped appointment, found another and he starts telling me he will be putting junk yard parts on my car!
wtf! haha cant I just find a good mechanic

Mechanics are tricky. There's no testing to be a mechanic. **** I could be a mechanic right now and start up a shop. So lots of shade tree's out there.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

not here bro, u need a licence to work on vehicles commercially ...

went to FORD dealership today and got quotes on parts
64.68 for top door hinge
106.71 for lower door hinge
153.28 for hub assembly

stopped at an auto parts store also and although they cant get the door hinges they have a hub assembly in stock for 103.99 after tax

one of the quotes I have from a mechanic is for
113 for the wheel baring
and 188 for upper and lower door hinges ...

QUESTION ... can the baring be replaced or does the whole hub need to be
Old 04-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The whole hub.
Check Rockauto.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The whole hub.

Check Rockauto.

+1 rockauto.com is a lot cheaper than any auto parts store!!!
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

checked that site out.. weird they offer just the baring -_-
so can I change just the baring or is it the whole hub. I am confused
Old 04-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know what bearing you saw but no, the whole hub needs to be replaced as a unit. The spindle nut also needs to be replaced as they are a one time use affair.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The hub takes a half hour and yes you do need a big goddamn torque wrench. Hub should be $70 or so. A LOT of ppl just use a big breaker bar and get the nuts real tight and never have a problem but that's not something I would chance personally.Hinges... lol have a helper help you unbolt and hold the door as its unbolted. Get a $10-$20 pin/bushing kit from Rockauto, cut the old pin out and install the new pin with bushings and cotter key and bolt it back up. License plate lights you should be able to do yourself. So DIY this is less than $100. I hate shops.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

so went to ANOTHER mechanic today lol
The guy has a new edge mustang himself and said he could
do the door pins and bushings for 1.5 hours labour..
went to ford dealership and they offer universal pin and bushing kits
for 37 dollars ...
to me that's best route I can go for that.

now... the wheel baring, hub assembly ... he can get me it for 70 bucks and would charge .8 labour .... he said its economical lol said 60 day warrenty.. and recommended I buy a good one... a lot more money ...
my question to you guys is, should I buy the better wheel baring or would the cheap one be just as good

so originally I was quoted around 500 for first shop to put junk yard door hinges and change wheel baring for me...

this route would be $360 after tax for new wheel baring and the pins and bushings replaced.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

I put a Duralast special wheel bearing assembly on my Expedition at 70k miles. At 110k miles its still good.

However I recommend getting everything from rockauto. I go the pin kits for way less than $37 eff that.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

^ yeah just seems like a hassle. I just moved and my cc info doesn't match my shipping address and all that fun stuff and I am looking to get this done rite away ...
Hell I could do it all myself but my new place I don't have a garage... all my tools are in storage about 8 hours from here and I don't know many people.. so probably wouldn't find anyone to help.

I am justifying paying the money by the fact that I stayed in this weekend and will stay in next weekend as well lol I could easily of spent the amount to fix my car just pre drinking, drinking at the club and cabs to and from ...

rather have " something to show " for my money then just going out for the weekend.. can do that all summer...
Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eff drinking at the club unless its $1 domestics and then you need to have a decent local domestic that they have to avoid the pee water that is bud/miller/coors. We have Yuengling around these parts. But yeah when I was single and crazy I could easily spend a few hundred bucks each weekend if not more going out. And then not remember how I got from one end of George St. at Rutgers to the other and finding out I pulled an Adam Richman at the grease trucks at some point to try to soak up some of the alcohol lol.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The shop called me this morning and the guy said, he was going to go pick up the wheel baring hub assembly today so that they have the part for tomorrow morning. And just wanted to know if I was sure I wanted a cheap baring. said for 30 dollars more he could get me one with a one year warranty.. this one only has 60 days..
I said the cheap one is fine.
After thinking about it for a bit I am starting to wonder if maybe I should have said yeah get me a good or at least decent baring.
Then again I am sure any new baring cheap or good would be better then the 14 year old one I have now..
I wish I could trust people lol.. my second thought was he will prob still just give me a cheap baring and say its good.
fack
Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The shop called me this morning and the guy said, he was going to go pick up the wheel baring hub assembly today so that they have the part for tomorrow morning. And just wanted to know if I was sure I wanted a cheap baring. said for 30 dollars more he could get me one with a one year warranty.. this one only has 60 days..
I said the cheap one is fine.
After thinking about it for a bit I am starting to wonder if maybe I should have said yeah get me a good or at least decent baring.
Then again I am sure any new baring cheap or good would be better then the 14 year old one I have now..
I wish I could trust people lol.. my second thought was he will prob still just give me a cheap baring and say its good.
fack

Either way it's only 30$ lol. I personally would go with the longer warranty but some don't want to do that. Up to you

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

lol I know.. that's what I told myself as well... ahhh its only 30 dollars... but 30 dollars on top of everything I am already paying is a lot of money..

went to junk yard today.. wow found a sixxer burial ground lol prob like 80 96-04 mustangs... all sixxers unfortunately ...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol I know.. that's what I told myself as well... ahhh its only 30 dollars... but 30 dollars on top of everything I am already paying is a lot of money..

went to junk yard today.. wow found a sixxer burial ground lol prob like 80 96-04 mustangs... all sixxers unfortunately ...

That's because V6 sells a lot more. They keep our V8's alive which is why I'll never hate

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'd love to be near a jy that had that many sixers damn. Lots of random bolts, body panels, wiring etc... to keep my 98 going strong.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

yeah a few had clearly been in a fire lol
I need new driver and passenger glass they want 75 per piece of glass.. seems expensive for a jy
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I got the pins and bushing for my car today. I am just going to do it myself!
Has anyone already did this? seems doable just not much room. grind off the pin head?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm going to do it in a few weekends on this 98 driver side door. You take the door off and get that pin out however you can. Sawzall, cutoff wheel, if you can get bolt cutters in there do it. Then its just a matter of getting the pieces of the pin out and installing the new pin/bushings/cotter key and putting the door back on.

Do not try it by yourself btw unless you like to mess up your door. I am going to do mine on the lawn in case the door falls I don't booger it up on the driveway, even with moving blankets laid down.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

yeah mine don't have cotter keys and I got them rite from dealership. not exactly sure how they just stay in there .. is it like a chevy truck? lol ill post pic of what they gave me
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10014670_388578467951397_1597503316895547044_n.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	153333  
Old 04-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I have 4 bushings... not sure what way to put them in but I will find out when I take it apart.. from what I can see one goes upside down the other sits in.. wouldn't it fall out?.. the pins on the car have heads on each side. since this only has one at the top is there a chance it can come out? I was thinking put a weld a tac on the bottom ... but if these door pins go to crap after 6 months that would be annoying
Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

No idea, mine have cotter keys on the end. I got mine from rockauto for way cheaper than what you posted.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I see how mine work... at the top of the pin it has uhh groves? .. ill have to press the top down into the barring and that should keep it seated... if the door opens and closes well after that I may just leave it like that for easier removal in the future if need be.. or may add a small weld just to keep it in place. I am going to start this project tonight lol seems like changing door pins would be easy but its pretty tight in there and I am solo on this one
Old 04-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Post some pics up if you can, would like to see how these Ford ones work. If its a press in vs a cotter pin I might go get the Ford one although the cotter key probably will work just as well.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Post some pics up if you can, would like to see how these Ford ones work. If its a press in vs a cotter pin I might go get the Ford one although the cotter key probably will work just as well.

at the top of the pin it has the uhmm ridges?... they don't fit inside the bushing.. you need to press it in witch then locks them in place...

I assume put the bushings in, drop the pin in set it in place with a hammer and should be solid
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10150591_388843184591592_220040999032198326_n.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	153387  
Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

the more I look at the hinge and how the bushings go.. I am pretty sure you need the pins like mine bro.. if I am seeing this rite.. the one bushing on the botton just sits in place with the lip on top... however the top bushing goes in upside down and by having those ridges pressed in to it. keeps it in place... without those the bushing would just fall down .. I am sure it will sit in place but its guna fall out eventually. its upside down just sitting in a hole... so yeah if that makes sense to you lol if not I can try and explain it different
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1454706_388853924590518_404385741962751613_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	153388  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT