01 GT 5 Speed hesitation/choking at 40+mph - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Region: California
01 GT 5 Speed hesitation/choking at 40+mph

I've got an 01 gt with 68k on it. I've had this problem where I'm in 4th or 5th gear, and when I lay on the gas, it will accelerate but it starts choking and sort of sputtering. I recently changed all 8 of the ignition coils and all 8 plugs, which solved the problem for about a month, then it started doing it again. I've replaced the fuel filter, done a fuel injection cleaning, and cleaned the k&n filter. Also, when I lay on the gas, I smell exhaust really strong it's happening around 40mph, I used to only smell it at 90+. When I changed the plugs for the first time, I noticed that they were covered in oil. I haven't had time to check again, but could this be the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My apologies if this has been covered.
Heffe707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have the same problem and also trying to figure out the cause, at this point I'm thinking valve seals or piston rings
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

Its strange becAuse changing the coil packs and plugs fixed it the first time. And when it happened before, I was lucky enough for it to throw a cylinder 3 misfire check engine light. The car idles fine, revs fine, and drives normal 1st through 3rd gear, even if I take third to 50mph. It's 4th and 5th when it starts acting up when I have the throttle more than halfway down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Bad o2 sensors leading to either fuel cutoff or throwing too much fuel into the combustion Chamber. That's my guess based off all the troubleshooting you've already done with Chanhing plugs/coils and fuel filter.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

Do you think changing the plugs and coil packs would have masked a bad o2 sensor for a month?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
I have the same problem and also trying to figure out the cause, at this point I'm thinking valve seals or piston rings

Man I hope the problem isn't that severe.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
mine will do that kind of if I turn a corner then floor it .. figured it was fuel filter or something.. used to be able to roast the tires like that now shes a dog
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post
Bad o2 sensors leading to either fuel cutoff or throwing too much fuel into the combustion Chamber. That's my guess based off all the troubleshooting you've already done with Chanhing plugs/coils and fuel filter.

But an o2 sensor does make sense if I'm smelling exhaust really strong when I punch it.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I was getting hesitation and sputtering like you describe, data logging for me confirmed one of my front o2 sensors was shot. Pretty easy to change took about 10 minutes with access to a lift. Now another symptom I had was that when coming to a stop, especially after Highway speeds, I would stall out. Not sure if you experience something similar

Old 04-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post
I was getting hesitation and sputtering like you describe, data logging for me confirmed one of my front o2 sensors was shot. Pretty easy to change took about 10 minutes with access to a lift. Now another symptom I had was that when coming to a stop, especially after Highway speeds, I would stall out. Not sure if you experience something similar

Nah, no stalling, but the hesitation during acceleration is the same. After researching o2 sensors a little more, I'm leaning towards that. Luckily, I bought the car from my boss, so I'm able to find out some of the thing he did or didn't replace, and when he had the X pipe and new cats installed, he didn't change the o2 sensors...god knows why. I manage a quick lube, so getting underneath the car is not an issue at all. Even if it isn't the problem, changing them couldn't hurt.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffe707 View Post
Man I hope the problem isn't that severe.
I just changed the valve seals in my 02 GT, its definitely a headache and definitely a two man job. It doesn't sound like valve seals are your problem though, are you using any oil?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffe707 View Post
Nah, no stalling, but the hesitation during acceleration is the same. After researching o2 sensors a little more, I'm leaning towards that. Luckily, I bought the car from my boss, so I'm able to find out some of the thing he did or didn't replace, and when he had the X pipe and new cats installed, he didn't change the o2 sensors...god knows why. I manage a quick lube, so getting underneath the car is not an issue at all. Even if it isn't the problem, changing them couldn't hurt.
I got some direct plug and play Bosch o2 sensors from Amazon for like $25 each. However, if you can find the oem ones for cheap pick those up instead. The Bosch ones I got have been holding up good for about a year now

Old 04-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #13

Update:

There's not light on, but I ran a obd2 scanner and pulled a p0442 code from it. The guy I bought it from replaced the filler neck gasket not that many miles ago, and the gasket in the gas cap feels nice. So now I'm thinking with the hesitation under heavy acceleration, possible vacuum hose collapsing or leaking. I've already replaced the pcv to throttle body hose because it stalled my car on the freeway one night..any ideas on hidden ones that are hard to find?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #14

Update:

There's not light on, but I ran a obd2 scanner and pulled a p0442 code from it. The guy I bought it from replaced the filler neck gasket not that many miles ago, and the gasket in the gas cap feels nice. So now I'm thinking with the hesitation under heavy acceleration, possible vacuum hose collapsing or leaking. I've already replaced the pcv to throttle body hose because it stalled my car on the freeway one night..any ideas on hidden ones that are hard to find?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Did u end up changing o2 sensors? Did that help at all? Curious
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_1212 View Post
Did u end up changing o2 sensors? Did that help at all? Curious

I haven't done that yet, because I pulled that evap system leak code. I found a totally collapsed line that goes from the back of the throttle body down to this thing under the passenger front wheel well. I replaced it but haven't had a chance to drive it yet because I did it at work lol. I'll update after I test drive. Fingers crossed!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT