Camshafts? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Camshafts?

My dad is giving me $1000 and I was looking into a performance upgrade I already have all the exterior mods I want. I was thinking about getting the comp cams stage 5 xtreme energy with the beehive springs and valve retainers from AM. Would this be worth getting I am also wanting to know what power gains I would receive from this. Thanks Comp Cams Stage 5 Xtreme Energy XE278AH Mustang Camshafts 102700 (96-04 GT) - Free Shipping - AmericanMuscle
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Go to alternativeauto.com. You should call the owner Lidio, he's very knowledgeable on Mustangs! My car is in the shop right now having the cams done. He can tell you what type of CAM you need for your stock engine.
toneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman View Post
Go to alternativeauto.com. You should call the owner Lidio, he's very knowledgeable on Mustangs! My car is in the shop right now having the cams done. He can tell you what type of CAM you need for your stock engine.

Ok thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
You're welcome!!
toneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Yeahh stage 5 cams are not gonna work on a stock motor... unless you got more money saved up then cams would be a bad idea. Shops charge a lot for install and then you need a dyno tune on top of that.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Yeahh stage 5 cams are not gonna work on a stock motor... unless you got more money saved up then cams would be a bad idea. Shops charge a lot for install and then you need a dyno tune on top of that.

It's not a stock motor
Old 04-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post

It is forged internals up to 850 horses and it has a few other things done to it from when I bought it.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You will need heads/ full exhaust/ proper gears/ and a aftermarket intake manifold. To take advantage of a stage 5 cam

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
You will need heads/ full exhaust/ proper gears/ and a aftermarket intake manifold. To take advantage of a stage 5 cam

Already have exhaust and gears and I am fixing to order the pi heads
Old 04-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Gonna run me a good bit of money but I have close to $3000 saved up and I'm getting ready to get another $1000
Old 04-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm talking about a full CNC port/and polish some extreme headwork done bud. You are just better off going with a stage 1 possibly stage 2 cam. Y

Old 04-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I'm talking about a full CNC port/and polish some extreme headwork done bud. You are just better off going with a stage 1 possibly stage 2 cam. Y

That's probably what I am going to do I was just wondering about what the stage 5 would put out if I where to have had that done
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanadams22 View Post
It is forged internals up to 850 horses and it has a few other things done to it from when I bought it.
Got any paperwork supporting this? Either way stage 5 cams are more than likely gonna have PTV clearance issues and need pistons notched to fit them

Quote:
Already have exhaust and gears and I am fixing to order the pi heads
The car already has PI heads from the factory unless the previous owner decided to put other heads on.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

My cousins 2v with built motor. 11.1 compression. stroked to 5.4. Custom stage 4 nitrous cam. Trick flow heads. That had extra CNC done. With custom intake Mani. Full exhaust and full boltons made 340

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

He sold it right after and bought a 06 gto. Best bet is spray it man.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

[ QUOTE=Mile high JDF;1985272]Got any paperwork supporting this? Either way stage 5 cams are more than likely gonna have PTV clearance issues and need pistons notched to fit them

The car already has PI heads from the factory unless the previous owner decided to put other heads on.[/QUOTE]

Yes all paperwork came with the vehicle when bought and I am probably gonna hold off on the cams for a little while and look into getting a nitrous kit. Thanks for the help you guys!!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
[ QUOTE=Mile high JDF;1985272]Got any paperwork supporting this? Either way stage 5 cams are more than likely gonna have PTV clearance issues and need pistons notched to fit them

The car already has PI heads from the factory unless the previous owner decided to put other heads on.
Yes all paperwork came with the vehicle when bought and I am probably gonna hold off on the cams for a little while and look into getting a nitrous kit. Thanks for the help you guys!!!![/QUOTE]

What sort of internals does it have?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

This is what it shows on the paperwork
Eagle 16420020 - Eagle Ford Modular 4.6L Street and Strip Rotating Assemblies
Old 04-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
http://youtu.be/Lhg7BMr54f8

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Just to give you an idea, I just rebuilt my motor and had stage 2 cams put in
Sonicblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
You can have fully forged internals, but if they don't have valve reliefs kiss your pistons and your valves good bye as soon as you start up the motor.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I found this on LS1 Tech. It may be a different kind of motor, but what he is talking about is pretty much universal to any engine.

Quote:
Heads and cams are like peas and carrots. They belong together, should be bought together, they rely on each other; so we will discuss them together.

In the beginning of this thread, we said the motor is a power-making air pump. Well, your heads and cam decide just how much air gets in, and how much gets out. Most often referred to as the heart of any race car, the head and cam selection is a huge factor in just how much power your pile is capable of making.

Just because you buy the biggest cam on the market, and the biggest-port highest-flowing heads on the market, does not mean that you will make a ton of power. It does not work like that. When purchasing a H/C package, you want a setup that is:
1. Matched to each other's strong points
2. Compensates for the weak points
3. Best suited for the displacement of your motor

1. Matched to each other's strong points:
Every head has its strong points and weak points. If you have a set of heads that flows particularly well on the intake side, then your cam selection should take that into account. If it has excellent port velocity, then your cam should again be geared to exploit that. For example, if your heads make the best flow at higher lift, then your cam should have the lift numbers to get it there.

2. Compensates for the weak points:
Like the strong points, every set of heads have its weak points. It is my belief that the cam should compensate for the shortcomings in your heads (since cams cost less). For instance, if your heads do not flow as well on the exhaust side, you may want to consider a cam that has a longer exhaust duration, to allow more time for the waste gasses to escape.

3. is Best suited for the displacement of your motor:
If you go out and purchase the biggest-port highest-flowing heads, and the most monstrous cam you can find, and slap it on your stock 346, what will you have? The baddest, fastest 346 this side of the Pecos, right, buddy? WRONG... you will have a over-priced, under-thought pile, that won't hold an idle, falls on its face, and never makes power in any usable power band. Good luck with that... What you want, is the highest-flowing smallest-port heads suited for your cubes, and a cam that makes the very most out of them.

I will not get vendor-specific. The choice, in the end, is still yours. I would advise that you ask a ton of questions, to a ton of sponsors, and go with the one that has the best results on hand, is willing to be up front and answer your questions, and puts technical information in words you can understand and will help you match a cam for your needs.

The subject of cams alone could fill this website to its brink. This is not a tell-all guide to buying a heads/cam setup; just some basic knowledge and tips that you should know before you drop $3000 on a H/C setup.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-ow...anna-fast.html

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicblue11 View Post
http://youtu.be/Lhg7BMr54f8

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Just to give you an idea, I just rebuilt my motor and had stage 2 cams put in

Very nice if I was parked next your car at a stop light I Definetly would be afraid to run u lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« milky cap | HELP!!! »