Driveshaft Clunk - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Driveshaft Clunk

I have this annoying clunk when shifting gears (mainly 1-2 and 2-3), when pressing/letting off the throttle while cruising, and also when putting the car into gear sometimes. It appears to be coming from where the driveshaft and tranny meet. What do you guys think?

Heres a video link to the clunk that I captured under the car earlier

Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Bunch of suspension goodies
ty98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Bad u joints maybe.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thats is a bad u joint. Got mine done about two months ago it was making same exact noise also from taking off it would as well. U joints are pretty cheap and ladir is as well i payed 90 for parts and labor..
Clean98 Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ive heard about it being bad u joints too but aren't those bad if they are somewhat loose from the driveshaft? Its kinda hard to see in the vid but the entire driveshaft is moving together and there isn't any slop where the joints are connected to the shaft. The sound almost sounds as if its coming from inside the tranny. Could that still be a bad u joint?
Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Old 04-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
time for an aluminium ds
and if that doesn't fix it, atleast ull have an aluminium ds
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
There is normally a little movement when you grab a drive shaft & twist it like that.

I suggest you check the rear u-joints too.

When u-joints go bad, you will hear/feel the clunk when first starting moving or when your car moves for the first time either forward or backwards. The best way to check is to change direction & listen/feel for a clunk. Back the car up and come to a complete stop. Put the car in a forward gear. Slowly proceed forward. A bad u-joint will make a clunk. You can also check by going backwards after a complete stop from going forward.

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well even if you're hearing it from the transmission there are two u-joints one at the end on the yolk will you were grabbing it in your video and the other one is the one in to your tranny. Like I was saying mine was doing the same thing I thought the transmission was going because I kept hearing a clunking noise but the whole time it was the u joints. Now while you're at it if you have the money you can go to aluminum driveshaft as well but if there's nothing wrong with yours and u don't want to spend the extra money just put u joints and keep your same drive shaft
Clean98 Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I think you guys are right, my first guess was u joints but my mechanic keeps doubting me and saying that he thinks its something else lol. Im gonna get this fixed asap cause its literally driving me insane hearing it 24/7 in my car haha.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
time for an aluminium ds
and if that doesn't fix it, atleast ull have an aluminium ds

Ive always wanted an aluminum driveshaft but now I think I have an excuse to get one!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT