Roof repair? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Roof repair?

Hey guys i bought my car with some dents and waves in the roof so I went to a local body shop and they said that In order to get the roof looking back to normal they would have to get a new roof skin. Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost to do.
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't know about that specifically, but it cost me $2,300 (just the actual operation, $3,000 including parts) to get a body shop to weld and paint the entire back (from where the frame ends to the bumper) of another Mustang onto my Mustang. I would imagine that just the roof would be a little less than that. I would say around $2000. As far as I know, it's basically the same operation, except less work. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it at least should tell you what is a little high. Hopefully someone on here has actually done this same operation before and can give a better estimate, but keep in mind prices vary widely depending on location.
04beautyGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04beautyGT View Post
I don't know about that specifically, but it cost me $2,300 (just the actual operation, $3,000 including parts) to get a body shop to weld and paint the entire back (from where the frame ends to the bumper) of another Mustang onto my Mustang. I would imagine that just the roof would be a little less than that. I would say around $2000. As far as I know, it's basically the same operation, except less work. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it at least should tell you what is a little high. Hopefully someone on here has actually done this same operation before and can give a better estimate, but keep in mind prices vary widely depending on location.

Ya I was figuring it was going to be that much or around $1500 thanks for your help
Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Okay.. so about a month ago was sitting at a buddys when he says .. wtf opens the front door and yells GET THE **** OFF OF THERE... I go look and the neighbours 6 year old retarded autism kid is *** naked ... keep in mind this is winter.. and he is jumping all over my car... I am stoned at this point and cant believe that this is happening... my buddy goes and bangs on the neighbours door and the mother casually comes out and reaches up grabs her kid by the arm and drags him inside...

my roof looks walked on... but average person wouldn't notice.. but anyone you tell to look will see.
got 3 quotes all for basically $1000 ..
They would have to take your headliner down try and make it look good, then use body filler and paint to look rite..
Think of it as a pop can.. when you crush the can .. you can make it look normal again but it looses its durability? ..
sucks man... I got mine looking pretty good, I bought this bondo suction cup thing and it popped the main ones out
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41Wl-inKaXL.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	153091  
Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Fullyautomatic I would actually take it to a shop to get a new roof skin. Do not. I repeat do not Bondo it. It will flex and crack off. And if a body shop is doin that go somewhere else. The roof looses its rigidity with dents and will never be the same even if its been pulled out.
Jonathanadams follow the advice I gave to fullyautomatic. It'll cost a grand or two. If you can get insurance to fix it.
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

lol I wouldn't bondo it ...
I pulled mine out pretty good with those suction cups...
looks pretty clean now.. all depends on how deep the dents are.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the help guys I am going to get a quote tomorrow and see what they recommend they already said what they would most likely do is weld a new roof skin on. Thanks again for the info!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT