Mgw shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mgw shifter

It just arrived today so I am excited. I have already installed one (the AM brand on my v6) is there anything different that I may have trouble with or should it basically be there same? I also ordered the comfort style stick instead of racing.. Am I going to regret that?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You probably won't regret it, I personally think the shifter reach is ridiculous on a SN95 but I fixed my tri-ax with an extension bracket.

MGW is the same install really, just make sure you swap the pivot ball cup from from your stock shifter to the MGW and that black mat that came with your shifter is dynamat that goes over the shifter not packing material lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mgw shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You probably won't regret it, I personally think the shifter reach is ridiculous on a SN95 but I fixed my tri-ax with an extension bracket.

MGW is the same install really, just make sure you swap the pivot ball cup from from your stock shifter to the MGW and that black mat that came with your shifter is dynamat that goes over the shifter not packing material lol.

Your talking about the black plastic piece on the end of my stock shifter right? I noticed this shifter has a thin sheet of metal with sticky pad around it for you to put down on something. My AM one didn't have that.

Hopefully I am happy with this 200$. I remembered it being a big difference between the stock and AM shifter. I thought it was a bit too notchy though. This should be a lot better considering how much more expensive it was. I'll be having this car for a long while so I wanted to invest in a higher quality piece.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Installed it last night and took it out for a test drive. It feels ok. Of course much better than the stock, but I don't feel that much of a difference between this one and the AM one which is considerably cheaper. The mgw is very stiff which I imagine will go away like it did with my am. Throws are short... But not that much shorter than the AM one. Seems harder to put it into first now while slowly moving.. Hopefully it will all loosen up after it breaks in.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

There is a break in period. Honestly I think the MGW hype is overblown from people who have never used other shifters. Yes it is quieter but you can achieve the same thing by doing the dynamat thing with any shifter. I've been a Tri-Ax fan for years and have never seen a reason to go away from it. The Tri-Ax basically puts itself into 3rd, shifts are mega short and steeda makes an extension bracket for the 3550/Hurst that you can modify to fit any non-mgw shifter since the holes are 3/8" and most Mustang shifters (not hurst or 3550) use metric.

$1 worth of nylon bushings from home depot drilled out with a 1/4" bit

Before:

After:

3rd gear:

Toss a Cobrabob gasket (actual Cobrabob not the fake AM ones) set on there and its pretty much silent itself.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is a break in period. Honestly I think the MGW hype is overblown from people who have never used other shifters. Yes it is quieter but you can achieve the same thing by doing the dynamat thing with any shifter. I've been a Tri-Ax fan for years and have never seen a reason to go away from it. The Tri-Ax basically puts itself into 3rd, shifts are mega short and steeda makes an extension bracket for the 3550/Hurst that you can modify to fit any non-mgw shifter since the holes are 3/8" and most Mustang shifters (not hurst or 3550) use metric.

Before:

After:

3rd gear:

Toss a Cobrabob gasket (actual Cobrabob not the fake AM ones) set on there and its pretty much silent itself.
no pics :/ I hate my work computer lol
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Before:

After:

3rd gear:

I think that you are correct, mgw is way too hyped up by people that have never had others. I mean, a shifter 4x the price of the AM one shouldn't compare.. But it's not that much better. Quieter is about it. Definitely not 4x better.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly, nearly EVERY aftermarket shifter is a billet copy of the stock shifter as far as geometry goes. Much of the short shifter feel can be accomplished simply by putting a shorty handle on the stock shifter but then you still have the slop, no centering mechanism. MGW is quiet and adjustable and its a great product don't get me wrong but I do not feel as confident slamming gears as I do with the Tri-Ax.

With that said, I've never tried the AM shifter but I'm willing to bet the centering mechanism isn't nearly as good as the Tri-Ax just from experience with other shifters including the UPR. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you miss 3rd with a Tri-Ax you either have a worn out centering spring or you're an idiot.

Edit: It really sounds like I'm bashing the MGW... I am not at all its a great shifter and its the quietest OEM like one while shortening up the shifts. The fact that yours is not much shorter than stock is likely the comfort handle too. However I'm just saying that ppl are very quick to jump on the MGW bandwagon when I guarantee that if they tried a Tri-Ax or a Pro 5.0 (with a better handle) they might prefer those.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT