Tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Tuner

Alright so what I've got going on now is I put on a off road x- pipe on my 04 gt which has thrown a check engine code. I've been meaning to buy a tuner but have put it off and this looks like the perfect reason to buy one. However I know nothing at all about tuners. I thought Bama was a trust-able tuner but from past post and experiences reading on the forums it seems bama tuners aren't worth the money. If someone could link me to some other tuners i'd really appreciate it.
Psikosocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I would personally get the SCT tuner. You dont have to use bama tunes on it. Im pretty sure you can use any email tunes with it. And you can data log and check/clear check engine codes with it.
Jgrummz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrummz View Post
I would personally get the SCT tuner. You dont have to use bama tunes on it. Im pretty sure you can use any email tunes with it. And you can data log and check/clear check engine codes with it.
Alright. I've just been getting a bad vibe about the bama tuners when looking at other threads and I was making sure there isn't a more bang for my buck tuner out there.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea you dont have to use bama tunes on the SCT though you can use steeda, jdm, etc tunes with it. Pretty much anyplace that emails tunes will work on the SCT.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ive heard good and bad things about bama tunes but i dont have any personal experience with them. I have a SCT tuner but i dont use it to tune my car since im supercharged.

I have heard great things about bamas customer service though so if you do go with one of there tunes and its working out for you then im sure they will be more then happy to readjust it for you until your happy with.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psikosocial View Post
Alright so what I've got going on now is I put on a off road x- pipe on my 04 gt which has thrown a check engine code. I've been meaning to buy a tuner but have put it off and this looks like the perfect reason to buy one. However I know nothing at all about tuners. I thought Bama was a trust-able tuner but from past post and experiences reading on the forums it seems bama tuners aren't worth the money. If someone could link me to some other tuners i'd really appreciate it.
The any custom tuner can turn the rear O2 sensors off for you, so they don't throw a CEL. However, if you need to pass an OBDII emissions testing, turning off the rear O2's will still fail, since the emissions readiness codes will "not be met." For your Mustang, the best thing to do is purchase a set of MIL Eliminators and then tune the car. You'll have on check engine lights that way, and still be able to pass emission testing.

I'm confident the Bama Team will be able to calibrate your 04 GT perfectly too. Bama has tuned tons of New Edge GT's and have their tunes dialed in, to the "T". Plus, you can always datalog the tunes and send the logs back to Bama for review. If there's any adjustments needed, they'll be happy to do so!

Lastly, if you have any questions or concerns about your Bama tunes or Mustang, you can always contact me directly. I'm here to help!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
The any custom tuner can turn the rear O2 sensors off for you, so they don't throw a CEL. However, if you need to pass an OBDII emissions testing, turning off the rear O2's will still fail, since the emissions readiness codes will "not be met." For your Mustang, the best thing to do is purchase a set of MIL Eliminators and then tune the car. You'll have on check engine lights that way, and still be able to pass emission testing.

I'm confident the Bama Team will be able to calibrate your 04 GT perfectly too. Bama has tuned tons of New Edge GT's and have their tunes dialed in, to the "T". Plus, you can always datalog the tunes and send the logs back to Bama for review. If there's any adjustments needed, they'll be happy to do so!

Lastly, if you have any questions or concerns about your Bama tunes or Mustang, you can always contact me directly. I'm here to help!

Shane
Thanks a lot that! It helped reassure me. In my current location there isn't any emission testing so you can basically run what you want. I think the engine is running rich which the tuner could fix to right?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psikosocial View Post
Thanks a lot that! It helped reassure me. In my current location there isn't any emission testing so you can basically run what you want. I think the engine is running rich which the tuner could fix to right?

Yes absolutely! These 2v GT's run fairly rich at WOT from the factory. The Bama Team will be able to adjust your WOT fueling a lot more appropriately for max power and efficiency.

However, your Mustang shouldn't be running rich while cruising with no tune and a few bolt-ons. If it is, than you could have a mechanical issue. You definitely want to make sure the car is 100% mechanically sound before tuning!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Yes absolutely! These 2v GT's run fairly rich at WOT from the factory. The Bama Team will be able to adjust your WOT fueling a lot more appropriately for max power and efficiency.

However, your Mustang shouldn't be running rich while cruising with no tune and a few bolt-ons. If it is, than you could have a mechanical issue. You definitely want to make sure the car is 100% mechanically sound before tuning!

Shane
Well I put on an off road x pipe which took off the rear o2 sensors and I think it's making it run rich.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT