engine issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

engine issue

Can a up stream oxygen sensor cause the engine to perform badly without the check engine light on? I have a 2000 gt with a kb that acts like it's missing firing on take off causal driving not racing. But when you race it does fine. Also it acts up seems like when the engine gets hott but you Un plug the maf sensor and drive it down the street not w/o throttle it doesn't do it. Any thoughts ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I had a lazy upstream sensor that was resulting in hesitation and stalling out with no CEL, so I guess it's possible

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post
I had a lazy upstream sensor that was resulting in hesitation and stalling out with no CEL, so I guess it's possible

Was their a certain point as to when it would do it ? I'm thinking I'm going to buy one and see which side it is. Because this car was running good no issues at all. Someone said they may think the air fuel ratio is off but I don't see how when it was running good on the tune before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think your right, a guy at work brought up a good point. Not too long ago my intercooler busted sending coolant into the exhaust, about 2 gals worth between both sides coming out the tail pipe. Didn't hurt the motor but I agree with you and him the upstream sensors more then likely got soaked with coolant.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I've got a 2000 gt auto and I had a similar problem. Lower mpg and a stumble on takeoff. I replaced both upstream o2 sensors and did the idle relearn and that fixed it. I got my sensors from rock auto. They were the factory ones for way cheaper than anyone else. I also had no engine codes.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
I've got a 2000 gt auto and I had a similar problem. Lower mpg and a stumble on takeoff. I replaced both upstream o2 sensors and did the idle relearn and that fixed it. I got my sensors from rock auto. They were the factory ones for way cheaper than anyone else. I also had no engine codes.
Thanks the the info think I'm going to do that.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
Was their a certain point as to when it would do it ? I'm thinking I'm going to buy one and see which side it is. Because this car was running good no issues at all. Someone said they may think the air fuel ratio is off but I don't see how when it was running good on the tune before.

Mine would stall out almost Everytime after cruising over 45mph and then coming to a stop, especially like when getting off at an interstate ramp.

I had purchased the Torque app and a blue tooth obd2 reader. Once I wad able to data log it and see my fuel trims ask jacked up it was obvious to me one of my upstream sensors was on its way out (my rears are turned off).

I replaced both of the upstream ones just to be safe and did the idle élan which was Baidu unconnecting the battery for like 15 min. That was a year ago running smooth since

FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mine would stall out almost Everytime after cruising over 45mph and then coming to a stop, especially like when getting off at an interstate ramp.

I had purchased the Torque app and a blue tooth obd2 reader. Once I wad able to data log it and see my fuel trims ask jacked up it was obvious to me one of my upstream sensors was on its way out (my rears are turned off).

I replaced both of the upstream ones just to be safe and did the idle élan which was Baidu unconnecting the battery for like 15 min. That was a year ago running smooth since

This problem started every since my intercooler busted soaking my exhaust so I think I'm going to do what you did and see if that fixes it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT