Please Help diagnose annoying squeak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Please Help diagnose annoying squeak

Well for so long I have had this annoying squeak coming from the rear. It is rotational (faster I go faster it squeaks) it stops when I apply the brakes even fairly lightly. I think it's coming from the driver side but almost sounds like it's coming from both. I replaced pads, machined rotors, and replaced driver side caliper but not all at the same time and all of these fixed the squeak but only temporarily.
I noticed when turning sharply yo the right the noise goes away as well. Or after a car wash but only a couple miles and it's back ideas??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
EthanGT03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Maybe a bad wheel bearing.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Did you use the caliper lube on the backs of the pads? If you don't use it or don't leave the anti-rattle clips in place or both they will squeak. I just replaced both my rear calipers/rotors/pads, bled the whole system and put a good coating of the caliper grease on the backs of the pads where they contact the piston/caliper and its dead silent finally. You may have a bad caliper on the other side though, one of mine was seized and the other was not functioning right either. Bonuses of having an older car.

The good news is the duralast rebuilds are actually pretty good and not too expensive. I should probably do my front calipers too... PO painted them red and its all flaking and they look like crap.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
Maybe a bad wheel bearing.
Any way to know without just replacing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Did you use the caliper lube on the backs of the pads? If you don't use it or don't leave the anti-rattle clips in place or both they will squeak. I just replaced both my rear calipers/rotors/pads, bled the whole system and put a good coating of the caliper grease on the backs of the pads where they contact the piston/caliper and its dead silent finally. You may have a bad caliper on the other side though, one of mine was seized and the other was not functioning right either. Bonuses of having an older car.

The good news is the duralast rebuilds are actually pretty good and not too expensive. I should probably do my front calipers too... PO painted them red and its all flaking and they look like crap.
I used the brake quiet on the pads of the driver side when I changed the caliber maybe a month ago and it made the noise go away for only like a day so idk.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

A year ago or so when I jacked up the rear and let the tires spin in first there was no squeak. I don't know if that makes a difference

Old 04-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
How did your guide pins look? Mine had the rubber boot torn and they rusted causing the brakes to stick. So I bought the hardware kit and that fixed that.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Also the boot on the caliper piston can sometimes tear and once that happens its pretty much dunzo unless you caught it like RIGHT away.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I have found that if you don't replace the anti-rattle clips when doing a pad replacement, it's a crapshoot as to if you get noise/squeaks. I always buy the hardware kit when replacing pads. Cheap insurance.

plus the usual that's already been mentioned...the brake pad to piston and pad tip lube. The stuff I get is blue; goes on like a liquid, but dries rubbery. I've never had brake squeaks.

What type of pads did you install?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
How did your guide pins look? Mine had the rubber boot torn and they rusted causing the brakes to stick. So I bought the hardware kit and that fixed that.
Well I bought a new caliber and greased em up when I put it on. Those are the two bolts right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Also the boot on the caliper piston can sometimes tear and once that happens its pretty much dunzo unless you caught it like RIGHT away.

new caliber so it had a new piston and still squeaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I have found that if you don't replace the anti-rattle clips when doing a pad replacement, it's a crapshoot as to if you get noise/squeaks. I always buy the hardware kit when replacing pads. Cheap insurance.

plus the usual that's already been mentioned...the brake pad to piston and pad tip lube. The stuff I get is blue; goes on like a liquid, but dries rubbery. I've never had brake squeaks.

What type of pads did you install?
I'm not familiar are those the clips on the pads that rest on the caliper?
When I did the caliper I sprayed brake quiet on the back of both pads.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Any other ideas? Could it be bent axle if so how do I check for that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT