romeo vs windsor engines - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
romeo vs windsor engines

From what I read. Windsor motors are basically truck engines lol Made at a truck plant and Romeo Are made at the car plant.
Mustangs from 99-00 have the Windsor, However Mustangs into 2001
could also have the Windsor since the Romeo plant was shut down for a while.
Apparently a supercharged Windsor can make more power with boost than a Romeo when stock.
The Rods of the Windsor has floating pins vs romeo's press fit
Windsors have an 8 bolt flywheel. Romeos have a 6 bolt flywheel. Windsors have 13 bolt valve covers. Romeos have 11 bolt valve covers.
The cam gears are attached differently as do the cam caps. The heads from a Windsor are interchangeable with those of a Romeo.

There are some more changes but those are the main ones..
not sure what to think about it haha
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
From what I read. Windsor motors are basically truck engines lol Made at a truck plant and Romeo Are made at the car plant.
Mustangs from 99-00 have the Windsor, However Mustangs into 2001
could also have the Windsor since the Romeo plant was shut down for a while.
Apparently a supercharged Windsor can make more power with boost than a Romeo when stock.
The Rods of the Windsor has floating pins vs romeo's press fit
Windsors have an 8 bolt flywheel. Romeos have a 6 bolt flywheel. Windsors have 13 bolt valve covers. Romeos have 11 bolt valve covers.
The cam gears are attached differently as do the cam caps. The heads from a Windsor are interchangeable with those of a Romeo.

There are some more changes but those are the main ones..
not sure what to think about it haha
Having experienced both a Romeo and a Windsor 2V, I can say a PI Windsor is much better than a non-PI Romeo

For real though, there's not really a difference in performance. People say that if you use a non-PI romeo block with Windsor PI heads you'll make more power due to a bump in compression. However if you plan to boost you might not want that.

Personally, my biggest gripe with the Windsor engine is the pressed camshaft gears. It makes doing a cam job much more complicated.

Also some people claim the Windsor is "beefier" or more robust, being from the truck plant. Im not positive on what led them to that assumption, but I doubt anyone will ever notice the difference. When it comes down to it, the bottom end is the weak point on both engines and that's what people are gonna notice

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Of course a pi engine is going to be better than a non pi engine.
03fastblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah from everything I have been reading, seems like the Windsor was the better motor.. both have there differences but apparently they are better built and make better compression..
I always knew about the romeo and Windsor but never thought to look into the differences.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've swapped windsor and romeo parts quite a bit. They are all pretty much interchangeable (in reference to the 2v and 4v 4.6 and even 5.4). But like mentioned earlier, the weak part is the rods and pistons on both....

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They're identical power wise, anyone who tells you different is an idiot. There are many differences but when it comes down to it they are both PI engines. I've got a 99 Windsor in a 98 GT with FRPP Romeo PI heads, brand new FRPP intake, and the NPI accessory setup. Should tell you something.

You get the bump in compression from ANY PI heads on a NPI shortblock btw. Its one reason the PI swap cars are a little more powerful than the straight PI cars or ones like mine that had a whole PI motor dropped in and not just the HCI done.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have the Windsor but a guy on here was telling me about how to stay away from 99-00 because they were known to have issues. Looked into it a bit more and I think he was miss informed.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I think so. Maybe he was thinking of the 4v heads that had a known cooling issue around 99?

***resident gun idiot***
Old 04-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
He's probably thinking of the plastic crossovers on the windsor engines and also the 4 thread spark plug holes.

The PI intake crossover issue is well known and ANY PI intake will eventually warp and leak under the tstat housing regardless of whether it is a metal crossover or not. The metal ones do hold up better though. The 4 thread spark plug holes are common to ALL the PI engines until the 2004 revision.

Other than that its just "gotchas" like the 8 bolt cast crank, the different timing covers, cam sprockets etc...

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
I think so. Maybe he was thinking of the 4v heads that had a known cooling issue around 99?
All the C heads have this cooling issue.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

+1 on the intake and spark plug threads too

***resident gun idiot***

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT