Car accident question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Car accident question

Ok guys I have a few questions I own a 00 gt that plasti dip gray. Today a jeep reversed while at a red light and hit me. Broke my bumper cracked/ bent my hood ,headlight broken and might have messed up my fog lights.. What I'm wondering is my car is plasti dip and the paint got messed up of course.. So what's gonna happen when I try to fix my car because there is no way they are gonna match car paint to my plasti dip. So will they have to paint the whole car?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398559238.632662.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	589.1 KB
ID:	155109Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398559262.722659.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	691.8 KB
ID:	155110
Tangtang2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
reversed at a red light? wtf
sorry to hear about the accident, however it sounds like the person will be paying for it?... How is the paint on the rest of your car?.. I would say have it painted original color then re plastidip it yourself.
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
reversed at a red light? wtf
sorry to hear about the accident, however it sounds like the person will be paying for it?... How is the paint on the rest of your car?.. I would say have it painted original color then re plastidip it yourself.

Ik he didnt see me in his lifted jeep .. Guess he didn't check his side mirrors.. The problem is my car registration is now gray not the oem color (red).. So if they paint it they're gonna have to paint it how the car was before the accident and also make it look even all around right? This is how my car looks under the plasti dip Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398559734.475902.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	739.6 KB
ID:	155111Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398559756.923926.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	562.5 KB
ID:	155112 and a non painted bumper.. That now needs to be replaced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

also I don't think they will be replacing your smoked headlights with similar ones, I am pretty sure they would replace them with stock ones.
And if you complain to your insurance company you risk the chance of your insurance going up .. Even where after market parts are merely cosmetic, they are considered performance parts for the purposes of insurance coverage.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

smashed hood, bumper, new paint job.. anything else damaged?...
might just cut u a 3500 check and jy your car on you.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
smashed hood, bumper, new paint job.. anything else damaged?...
might just cut u a 3500 check and jy your car on you.

I mean technically my car is gray and they have to leave the car as it was before the accident.. I don't care about the lights and I haven't checked anything cause it's all dark so I'm gonna have to wait till the morning. My insurance agent already knows about the color change
Old 04-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My guess is, that the insurance company will pay to replace all of the affected body panels and painting them the original color, then they will randomly paint primer spots on the new paint so that it will "blend" in with the rest of the car...

If they have to repaint the whole car, they'll just total it.

I'd try to negotiate the highest payout to repair the affected areas, including paint, and then hunt down the necessary parts yourself, install said parts yourself, and then find a body shop to paint the entire car.
Or, buy the parts and re plasti dip the car and pocket the leftover cash from the insurance settlement.

This will be interesting to see what happens... Keep us posted!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

yah I doubt they will paint the whole car.. probably just the parts that were damaged!.. You see it all the time, older car faded crappy paint with brand new looking rear bumper and trunk ...
Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
My guess is, that the insurance company will pay to replace all of the affected body panels and painting them the original color, then they will randomly paint primer spots on the new paint so that it will "blend" in with the rest of the car...

If they have to repaint the whole car, they'll just total it.

I'd try to negotiate the highest payout to repair the affected areas, including paint, and then hunt down the necessary parts yourself, install said parts yourself, and then find a body shop to paint the entire car.
Or, buy the parts and re plasti dip the car and pocket the leftover cash from the insurance settlement.

This will be interesting to see what happens... Keep us posted!
I kinda disagree with you a little Stray. If the car was newer, yes. But since it is 14 years old, let the body shop do it.

My car, I would let the body shop fix it. They will put on original parts and MAYBE, give you something for the dipping. I bet that you didn't tell your insurance company about your upgrades, so since they were added to your current policy, their responsibility is to paint in the factory color, whatever year your mustang is.

One other thing the insurance company will ask for, if they give you a check. Proof that you actually fixed the car. Otherwise, another accident and they won't cover the area they have already paid for to be fixed.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
I kinda disagree with you a little Stray. If the car was newer, yes. But since it is 14 years old, let the body shop do it.

My car, I would let the body shop fix it. They will put on original parts and MAYBE, give you something for the dipping. I bet that you didn't tell your insurance company about your upgrades, so since they were added to your current policy, their responsibility is to paint in the factory color, whatever year your mustang is.

One other thing the insurance company will ask for, if they give you a check. Proof that you actually fixed the car. Otherwise, another accident and they won't cover the area they have already paid for to be fixed.

What do you mean by upgrades? The paint? If so, yes I did. I told them the color changed
Old 04-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

end up with a fackin grey hood and bumper on a red car
Old 04-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Certfit bumper -$200
JY hood -$50?
New OEM headlight $200

I'd have his insurance pay out and then DIY and pocket the rest. If they total it... buy it back and use it as a donor car for whatever or part it out or take the $$$ and buy another GT.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

How much do u think is the most they would give me... I was thinking of putting whatever they gave me if it was totaled into a down payment for a 11 5.0
Old 04-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

No idea, depends on the claims adjuster. But I'm just saying you can DIY for cheap.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Yeah, some states do things differently as far as insurance goes. Typically though, if the accident wasn't your fault, it's the other persons insurance company that you are dealing with. They will issue a check for the estimated damage and you can fix your car or go on a vacation, your choice...
Yes, if the car has full coverage, your insurance company may very well be interested whether the damage was repaired or not, as well as the lien holder on the car, in the case of, if there is money still owed on the car.
I worked with a guy, years ago, who actually paid for his truck, that he paid cash for, by collecting insurance settlements received in minor fender benders and parking lot mishaps, over the years, and NOT fixing the damage.

I'm with you though, my car goes to the body shop for repairs...
Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Body shop required for big dents or frame pulling is one thing. Hood/bumper/fender is unbolt and bolt on good parts. I've fixed a few vehicles I've had damage to with JY parts and you couldn't even tell.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangtang2.0 View Post
How much do u think is the most they would give me... I was thinking of putting whatever they gave me if it was totaled into a down payment for a 11 5.0
That's probably a couple thousand dollars worth of damage. The paint is going to be your real issue with the insurance company. As stated earlier, they're only going to pay to paint the affected panels. If the plasti dip wasn't on, there would be some blending into the adjoining body panels that would have to be done, that they probably won't include in the damage estimate.
If you want a new car, this is the ideal time. Take the insurance settlement and buy all wrecking yard parts to repair the damage, and a few cans of plasti-dip, then sell the car and take the proceeds, along with what's left of the insurance money, and put it as a down payment on the Mustang of your dreams.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Body shop required for big dents or frame pulling is one thing. Hood/bumper/fender is unbolt and bolt on good parts. I've fixed a few vehicles I've had damage to with JY parts and you couldn't even tell.
That is EXACTLY the drill with my old truck... Not the Bullitt.

It goes to the body shop, mainly, so that I have a record of the repairs having been done professionally so that I can counter someone shoving the goddamn Carfax in my face, when I go to sell it, and saying, "What about these accidents"?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

cops don't even come to the accidents here now days..
Did you call them and make a report? Would suck if this
guy turned around and said you drove into the back of him
at a red light!
Its a Bumper and a Hood. That are Plastidipped.. This isn't something
to get rid of your car over.. Easy fix, especially since they are paying.
Then again the 2011 5.0 would be the only other mustang I would personally want to own so...
Old 04-26-2014, 11:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Oh that was the first thing I did ... I'm 20 the guy was like let's just call the insurance thinking he can pull a fast one on me ... I was like um I just called an officer, he's on his way
Old 04-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
What do you mean by upgrades? The paint? If so, yes I did. I told them the color changed
Up-grades, parts that are not stock. For example, you take off the factory rims and tires and go spend 2k on new ones. Unless you notify the insurance company on the switch, they are only responsible for what came on the car. My insurance company raised my insurance a whole $3. Bottum out and tear up your custom exhaust system.

Insurance companies have been doing little things like sometimes not volunteering what they cover and don't. It always pays to find out everything so you don't get stuck and lose out on a lot of money.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

U could get a plastic dip same color and print ur self
saleenfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so I went to get an estimate and it came out almost 3k at my friends shop

For new hood
New bumper
Headlights
And the headlight panel

But then the insurance called and told me to go to their shop and the gave me an estimate of 1.7 k and now my options are I can either take that or get it fixed
Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I say take the money. buy the cobra front bumper from AM for 300 a cowl hood for like 500 and new tinted lights for another like 120.. so 920, or cheaper if you just get a stock hood from jy .. leaves you with enough money to buy plastdip for the rest of your cars life and you get a cobra bumper and cowl hood?.. or whatever
Old 04-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I say take the money. buy the cobra front bumper from AM for 300 a cowl hood for like 500 and new tinted lights for another like 120.. so 920, or cheaper if you just get a stock hood from jy .. leaves you with enough money to buy plastdip for the rest of your cars life and you get a cobra bumper and cowl hood?.. or whatever

Yea I'm taking the money I found a gt hood with the scoop for 150 really good shape on cl and I'm looking for a cobra bumper on there and I'm gonna fix it up my self and my dad's friends is hooking me up with a paint job for 1.3k so I'm gonna get my whole car painted
Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Good deal. Now have fun peeling all that plasti dip off lol.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Good deal. Now have fun peeling all that plasti dip off lol.

Haha So I picked up a hood today and I put it on I think my latches are crooked .. I thought it was my old hood that was bent but the new one is awfully close to the left fender as well so I'm gonna try to hammer them back in place
Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Idk if u guys care or not but here's how she's lookin at the moment Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1399604177.303226.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	156347
No worries I removed the cobra badge
Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good!
Was the plasti-dip very difficult to remove?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Looks good!

Was the plasti-dip very difficult to remove?

Nope, cause I made sure to put enough coats are you thinking about dipping your car?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

after your done you should txt a pic to the guy who hit you and say thanks ahhaha cars looking better already
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope, cause I made sure to put enough coats are you thinking about dipping your car?
I have a True Blue Bullitt.

NOoOooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bite your tongue Tangtang...

Are you going to re-spray it the same color?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
after your done you should txt a pic to the guy who hit you and say thanks ahhaha cars looking better already

Haha I was thinkin about doing that
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a True Blue Bullitt.

NOoOooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bite your tongue Tangtang...

Are you going to re-spray it the same color?

Haha my bad my bad and no I'm using the money I got to get a full paint job this time ...my friend is hooking it up
Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha my bad my bad and no I'm using the money I got to get a full paint job this time ...my friend is hooking it up
Haha.
Thats what I meant... Are you going to repaint it red?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT