Head gasket maybe?.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Head gasket maybe?....

So I've got a 98 Mustang GT that I bought 6 months ago for 2800. The interior is great and it drives straight as hell but I think it needs a new ball joint. After replacing a ton of sensors and the fuel pump, filter, and IAC valve, I did a cylinder compress test today and found cylinders 2 and 4 have low compression (about 80 psi low, and it misfires and idle surges and dies). I've only put about 300 into it, and I'm not dumb when it comes to fixing cars. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to replace the head gasket. The car still runs, and no smoke out the exhaust, just a lot of fumes. I have seen coolant on a spark plug. My thought was to replace it before it gets bad, or sell it to some poor bastard for what I bought it for. I need to know how much it would realistically cost with basic garage tools and if the effort is worth it. My budget is about 200-300 bucks. I wanted to do PI heads, but not really willing to fork up that kinda cash. Thanks for your time guys, any input is welcome.
Grrrr.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Sorry but your going to need at least 1,000 ..

Take in mind if your replacing head gaskets.. Your heads are probably warped .. Which means you have to go take them to a machine shop to get them resurfaced .. And wait and pay whatever their labor is which may be a couple hundred.

Plus. Head gasket set .. And new head bolts .. Gasket and bolt sets would be like 2-300 by them selfs , you'll need a very good torque wrench which can run up to 500+.00 .. Something like this needs to go to a professional if you don't have to knowledge or the tools.

Plus tearing about the timing chains and everything else isn't a walk in the park.

I say sell the car while you can, if you can. That's just my opinion
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrr.... View Post
So I've got a 98 Mustang GT that I bought 6 months ago for 2800. The interior is great and it drives straight as hell but I think it needs a new ball joint. After replacing a ton of sensors and the fuel pump, filter, and IAC valve, I did a cylinder compress test today and found cylinders 2 and 4 have low compression (about 80 psi low, and it misfires and idle surges and dies). I've only put about 300 into it, and I'm not dumb when it comes to fixing cars. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to replace the head gasket. The car still runs, and no smoke out the exhaust, just a lot of fumes. I have seen coolant on a spark plug. My thought was to replace it before it gets bad, or sell it to some poor bastard for what I bought it for. I need to know how much it would realistically cost with basic garage tools and if the effort is worth it. My budget is about 200-300 bucks. I wanted to do PI heads, but not really willing to fork up that kinda cash. Thanks for your time guys, any input is welcome.

If the head gasket is your whole problem, it's well worth your time and effort to fix it. RockAuto has head gasket sets for less than $135. You definitely want to do both heads. Now, once you tear into it, you may find that you need other things like timing chain, tensioner, and things of that nature.

Your heads aren't necessarily warped because you've blown a head gasket. After time and miles, head gaskets wear out. Once the heads are removed, you can check the surface with a straight edge to see if they need to be taken to a machine shop. I've done many head gaskets without needing the heads shaved. Vehicles still running strong after many years.

If you need special tools like torque wrenches and pullers, you can rent them for free at local auto part stores. Basically you give them a deposit and get your money back when you bring the tool back.

Here is what your looking at for costs, best case scenario:

Head gasket set - $130
Oil and filter - $30
Coolant - $15
Head bolts - $60
Vehicle manual - $15
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

1000 bucks?!? I did a head gasket on a 94 civic for under a hundred a few years back. I plan on renting the torque wrenches and special tools. I've been browsing and found a kit that includes head bolts for 115. I'm gonna tackle it. If anyone has tips or advice that have done this before I'm all ears. Other than that, thanks for the input. Time to hit the garage!
Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Where did you find a head gasket kit w/ head bolts for $115?
Old 04-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #6

Region: Maine
A few years ago, I blew the gaskets in my old 3.8 and warped the heads. I had everything remade from scratch by a performance/machine shop that specialized in the 3.8 motor, and after all was said and done it was about $2000 including install, which isn't a terrible price for what is basically a brand new motor. I'm pretty sure the 3.8 heads warp a lot easier than the GT ones though, or so I've heard.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Take it to a professional

That's my advice
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I found a kit on Late Model Restoration for 115. If I have to take the heads to a machine shop then so be it. Just ordered the kit.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck! Thanks for the info.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #10

Region: Indiana
do a wet compression test first if that doesnt improve your results do the head gaskets with higher compression gaskets and arp head bolts. a lil more money but a lil more power and serviceable for the future. as posted earlier have your heads checked and decked if needed. do not skip that step or you will kick yourself in the *** later.
eccy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Replace motor or pi swap. In the same boat. About to swap motors.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT